The centrepin reel thread......

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I've used a Flick-em and it was pretty much exactly the same reel as the Rapidex but without the bubble effect. I think Allcocks made the flick-em and added different names to them for shops etc, in fact they did it with numerous reels. I've never had hold of a sowerbutts but have had a play with the Eureka :eek:.

The Allcocks Flick'em is so like the Rapidex I think it more likely that Youngs made them and badged them up for Allcocks, just as they did, with different paint jobs, for Sealey and Millward.

If the link works, here's a Hardy "Eureka", sporting the release system I'm on about, same as Lee's Sowerbutt and the Homer "Flick'em", which \I think is a bit older than Allcocks offering of that name.
Smooth with a capital "Smoo", but I'd be scared to use one for fear of grit, grot or grime getting in the groove and ruining the magic.

hardy-eureka-centre-pin-reel-002.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Allcocks Flick'em is so like the Rapidex I think it more likely that Youngs made them and badged them up for Allcocks, just as they did, with different paint jobs, for Sealey and Millward.

If the link works, here's a Hardy "Eureka", sporting the release system I'm on about, same as Lee's Sowerbutt and the Homer "Flick'em", which \I think is a bit older than Allcocks offering of that name.
Smooth with a capital "Smoo", but I'd be scared to use one for fear of grit, grot or grime getting in the groove and ruining the magic.

hardy-eureka-centre-pin-reel-002.jpg

Yeaph, that sounds about right Alan, they just re badged them for various outlets.

I've seen the release mechanism on the Hardys reel in pictures, just never in the flesh. I've gott'a say though, I don't like the full caged drums and out of the two, the rapidex and the trudex i'd prefer the trudex by a country mile.

mikench

Reaction score
This thread is proving very popular Ian:) I hope you still have room in the museum!:rolleyes:

I have a Hardy Little Gem fly reel if interested!:)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I know what you mean, Tigger, but it's "horses for courses"; the Rapidex, the more expensive of the pair, was developed as the ultimate "Sheffield" reel for matches with silk lines and ten-yard pegs; I doubt it was ever surpassed for that job.
If I have the story right, the Trudex was released as an "economy" version, but proved so versatile, muppet-friendly and rugged that it soon won hearts and minds in the realms of "proper" trotting for big fish.
Here in the parched South-East, where the Lea flows faster when the TV adverts come on and everyone in Luton flushes the loo*, the machined arbour of the Trudex is a blessing, doubly so if using a modern rod with lots of small rings.
If only it were 1/8"wider!

*Almost

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This thread is proving very popular Ian:) I hope you still have room in the museum!:rolleyes:

I have a Hardy Little Gem fly reel if interested!:)

Thnks for the offer Mike but I think you should get a fly rod and have a go :cool: ;).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Tigger, but it's "horses for courses"; the Rapidex, the more expensive of the pair, was developed as the ultimate "Sheffield" reel for matches with silk lines and ten-yard pegs; I doubt it was ever surpassed for that job.
If I have the story right, the Trudex was released as an "economy" version, but proved so versatile, muppet-friendly and rugged that it soon won hearts and minds in the realms of "proper" trotting for big fish.
Here in the parched South-East, where the Lea flows faster when the TV adverts come on and everyone in Luton flushes the loo*, the machined arbour of the Trudex is a blessing, doubly so if using a modern rod with lots of small rings.
If only it were 1/8"wider!

*Almost

As you say the rapidex is more a fish off the rod tip reel, wally casting isn't really suited. I can cast ok with the trudex though but agree the spool is a bit on the narrow side! I have one of each but i'm only hoarding them as I got them for little coin.....

The rapidex has never been used....no wonder lol !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Problem with the ivory that I think you might be referring to is that it resembles a wall in someones living room that's been painted white and the occupants smoke...nicotine stained :eek:mg:.
Greys decided it looked too shoddy on the Bewick and so they tidied up their act and put nice Colgate white handles :cool::D.

Real Ivory is a cream colour so only just off white ;).

Whatever.....anything than tones down pure brilliant white. The original Bewick handles are probably a bit too dark but they are nicely shaped add a bit of character unlike the toothpaste tube tops of the later version.

The telephone latch featured on many Hardy fly reels back in the day so it follows that they'd use it on the Eureka. A "mate" of mine with more money than sense bought a Eureka at an auction. Its the only one I've ever had a good look at and spin of. This may not have been the best example but I thought it was shocking....didn't like the caged drum,far too narrow for my liking and the handles too close together.

I was kind of envious at the time until I picked it up.

B

binka

It's great innit? :D

If 'pin threads didn't descend into enough controversy as they stand we're now debating the colour of the handles!

Actually...

When you think about it, white is very dangerously close to the colour of those Stradics...

Give or take the odd cat secretion.

:)

kkev

Reaction score
Hi - I need to get a centre pin repaired - does anyone know a contact in the greater Manchester area

mikench

Reaction score
The Sheffield has two and I do not want to jeopardise my pin skills by being inconsistent and the delicate touch like what I have got may suffer if the two reels are different:rolleyes:

Tigger and his macaws have just fallen over!:rolleyes::D

B

binka

Problem is Mike that two handles on a Conquest is just going to be weird, even for me :D

They won't be opposite each other and even if it spins ok with a counter-balance weight added I am really struggling to get my head around that one, what with my OCD :)