The cost of pre-baiting £££?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He is right Crow, I answered his first post as I read it without reading the rest of the thread. I then answered the second post when I came home from the pub and was a little confused.

cg74

Reaction score
This is purely out of curiosity as I don’t generally pre-bait as a rule in this context, mainly because the type of fishing I do just doesn’t require it.

I’ve just been watching Paul Young (I know, don’t hold it against me I was desperate :eek:mg:) in Ireland and they pre-baited a swim for a bream session the following day… Now I know Ireland has a long history of huge bream and roach shoals especially on the Erne system where they were filming but I counted at least five bags of groundbait, what looked like around four pints of casters, maggots, a good half a kilo of dendras and some vanilla flavoured corn.

In other words the thick end of fifty quids worth of bait, if not a little more and there must have been nearly half as much again for use during the session the following day.

I will sometimes spend a little over twenty quid for a session and feel like I’ve blown my brains out when I leave the tackle shop, sometimes just the cost of a farmhouse loaf or tin of meat from the supermarket but those sorts of figures are way out of my league.

For the guys that pre-bait what do you reckon is the cost of what you’re chucking in?

Regards the cost of Paul Young's bait, as a few have hinted at, it's more than likely product placement. If I was going down the same route, I certainly wouldn't be throwing £50 at the fish.
I'd replace the groundbait with pellets costing about £1/kg. With me being a tight git I freeze any left over maggots, currently there's about 3 pints ready for tench fishing in spring and increasing regularly.
I'd reduce or drop the worms and replace with frozen corn.

You should read some of the carp mags where they talk of pre baiting with 20 or 30 kg of boilies and then topping up with another 10 kg after every fish. It's madness, I once won a trip to france for a week and went with two bags of red band pigeon conditioner.
I baited a couple of spots the first night with 1/2 a bucket in each one and went on to empty the lake, catching the biggest common and the biggest mirror within an hour of each other.

I spent the rest of the week touring the local area and visiting all the local bars and markets in the mornings, snoozing through the afternoon and fishing a few hours in the evening catching two or three fish a night. It was a brilliant week and all on £20 worth of bait.

Very true there are endless articles advocating feeding huge quantities of boilies. Personally I don't think the average sponsored angler puts anywhere near 10kg per fish caught, it is IMO just a sales ploy.

but who am I to criticise, my pb is only 38Lb so I'm not really qualified.

Having a PB of 38lb would put you in the top 1% of carp anglers. If the truth was told I doubt 50% have even caught a genuine 30.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was on that French trip Colin so I don't think it counts. My UK best is 28 and a bit, I'm **** at remembering numbers and not really a carp angler, I just fish for what the conditions and the season dictates.
Having the Monument fishery on my doorstep means I could if I wished fish for a forty every week (cash allowing) but it's not really my thing, I prefer a lake where you at least have to get the binoculars out to read the headlines on the newspaper of the bloke fishing opposite you.
I would like a crack at a decent tench or two, anything over 7lb would be great but they are a bit thin on the ground in Shropshire. Any pointers by pm would be appreciated.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I can confirm I have never caught a ' 30 ' so I'm definitely not in the gang, but then I've never slung in a kilo of boilies during a day's fishing, let alone for every fish !!

I could fish for a ' 30/40 ' every week at Dinton Pastures nr Reading, but someone from Angling Times would sneak out of the bushes and I'd end up on the back page among the 'also rans '..........AND the damn fish would have a name !

Personally, I'd rather fish a floating crust in the margins for something unknown and of lesser proportions, ( I can understand why others go for the biggest though ) knowing I'd only spent £1.50 on bait, and still have enough flake left over for tench the next day......

I still cannot get my head around what effect all those boilies have on small waters (that never get eaten ) and I doubt that many, who gaily fire hundreds into the water for a day's fishing, do so either............but then, that's me and only IMHO.

ps ' cost ' doesn't only mean how much MONEY one spends

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The one and only time I have ever pre-baited was many,many years ago in Ireland. Me and my mate were,I think, about 18 and as green as grass. We had a major disaster with our bait resulting in the best part of a gallon of suffocated maggot and most of the live ones somewhere inside the carpeting of Trev's Ford Capri. We spent a day stripping his car down and rescuing bait and in the evening took the gallon of stretchies and as much pig meal as we could nick off the farm where we were staying to a lake with a reputation for decent bream and just balled it in as far as we could chuck it from the closest bit to the road.

Went back the next day and had 200lb of bream. Cost ? Dunno...about £6 then I guess. More like £106 now.

I dont do it now because I am a lazy git and there is nowhere I fish or anything I fish for where I think the effort and cost would make the slightest difference.