The importance of colour!

ByNasty

Reaction score
Joskin, yellow sticks out most to the human eye (although in theory the red should if william is correct) but the theory behind the blue baits is that carp can see slightly different to us and in deeper water as less light penetrates the blue/violet/ultraviolet spectrum penetrates the furthest so therefore a carp would see blue or violet baits after the other colurs of the spectrum could know longer be seen. Only problem with this theory is that:
A) It is undecided whether carp have actually fully developed the ability to see the ultra violet spectrum as it tends only to appear in fish that live at depths where next to no light penetrates (deep sea fish)
B) I don't know of many carp that live in clear water that is deep enough for the bottom to be in permanent darkness.
The theory doesn't work in coloured water because there it is suspended particles that are blocking the light not the distance the light has to penetrate and it doesn't work at night because then it is just down to lack of light available in the first place.

ByNasty

Reaction score
William, I don't think the white being most visible theory works with the infra red spectrum because I think that is something we have come up with to display variations in the spectrum that our eyes can see rather than just using varying shades of red. In coloured water red should work best because it's longer wavelength is interfered with less easily by suspended particles.
I'm not sure with the nite glo baits if they are charged up using a black light or U.V. lamp whether they then emit ultra violet light in low levels although I suspect it is irrelevent if the water is not deep enough for light to stop penetrating.

F

Frothey

chocolate malts up there with the best and thats a pretty unrefined flavour/sugar

isnt it better sometimes to have a bait the fish cant see?

njb51

Reaction score
" in deeper water, however, only the light from the blue end of the spectrum penetrates deep down, so in these conditions blue may be the way to go if you want to actively grab the fish's attention and draw it to investigate your hookbait "

This is a quote from that crafty carper article.

Im no scientist, but there has been research done into this and apparently holds some truth, maybe alot!

Is there anywhere where the fish would stay deep enough for long enough in order for their eyes to adjust to the light levels?

njb51

Reaction score
" tests also show that carp and goldfish can visually detect infrared light at wavelengths that are invisible to us "

another quote from the same article.

Anyone one know where the results of these tests are?

Clikfire

Reaction score
Sorry I have read this thread with interest, but my understanding is that infrared light is created by heat. So it wouldn't matter what colour the oringinal object was, be it a boilie or anything else as long as it was the right temperature, it would appear the correct colour in the infrared scale. Unfortunately if it is the same temperature as everything around it it would all appear the same colour.

C

Cakey

works for me ...............lots of "may"
will all this help me catch more fish ?

C

Cakey

I just cant believe mr hungry carp swimming round saying im not eating anything red !

B

Big Rik

you guys are getting things in a muddle.

Anything you see about infrared is just out interpretation of it, we mess it about to make it visible to us. (or we use a means to interpret the infrared spectrum into our visible spectrum, like cameras etc to detect infrared heat)

Carp can see in the visible spectrum and their vision also extends into the infrared, the same as most wild animals, birds, fish etc etc, some also see into ultrviolet.

Some birds look plain to us, but to other birds that can see in a wider frequency than we can, they have spectacular plummage.

Certain things that look pretty plain to us, may stand out like a beacon to the carp.
I don't think there has been enough research to tell us what those things are, we can summise and guess, but that's all it will be.

Joskin

Reaction score
Rick says
"Carp can see in the visible spectrum and their vision also extends into the infrared, the same as most wild animals, birds, fish etc etc, some also see into ultrviolet"

Is that actually a fact or is that also someones guess?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's like a lot of things regarding fish and other creatures, we make so many assumptions based on our sense of what we can feel, see, hear, taste and smell, and they may have very little in common with the senses of other creatures.