The Loop Method for Feeder Fishing

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

A handy tip for any using a fixed paternoster is to use a float stop and run both the mainline and the lead link through it.if the mainline breaks above the stop and the weight becomes tethered the fish, if big enough, would be able to pull the mainline clear in theory.

You can also slide the stop about to vary the length of hooklength.

Reaction score
I'll try him with a standard running rig next time then Fred /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Incidently, I took him for a sesh last night. 2.5 hours and not a single bite!

Didn't matter which chuffin rig I set up.

ken mallows

Reaction score
nothing wrong with loop rigs -someone said earlier - provided you use sensible breaking strain main and hook length lines - i agree with this 100%

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I cannot draw it Andy but if you get some drennan float stops on the little wire attacher, thread the ends of your mainline and the short length of line you are going to tie the weight/add the shot to through the small loop.Pull two float stops onto to both lines and bobs your uncle.The two float stops act as the knot.I am not sure that a small fish could pull line through the stops if you broke off above them and it got tethered but a big fish most probably could.You are not going to be snapped by a little fish though are you.Leave a decent tag above the stops on the weight length.

Reaction score
Well, I took my lad fishing on Thursday evening as planned - 2.5 hours in the water.

Set up the loop method with a groundbait feeder. 18 hook, 1.7lb hook length.

Maggot on the hook. Active feeder groundbait in the feeder.

Casting every 3-5 minutes.

It didn't matter whether he was set up with the loop method, fixed paternoster, running ledger, dink dink, bolt rig etc as we didn't see a single bite!

So much for the "abundance of roach and tench".