The Perfect Cuppa

preston96

Reaction score
I gave up on flasks of tea or coffee a while back.....if i have to use a flask it's only in the winter with hot bovril or soup.

If i'm on a long (overnight) session it's Assam tea bags,water boiled on my MSR pocket rocket, straight in the cup and a tiny amount of milk.........i detest milky tea!

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
My old tyrant of a boss used to gulp his tea down within seconds of it being poured at teabreak. Not long after that he'd be chasing us out and back to work. We'd all curse him and his 'tin throat' to hell.

A pretty dim lad made the tea every break, and I can well remember the look of glee on his face as we sat down to tea one freezing winter's morning:

"He won't drink his effing tea so fast today!"

He chortled.

"It'll be too effing hot. I've boiled the kettle twice!"

:D:D:D:D

r1paul

Reaction score
I drink about 8 mugs of tea in a 8 hour " working" day , plus a few mugs of coffee , most are made with reboiled water and are perfick .:wh :D .
But when doing a day session fishing , I will take a couple of flasks of black coffee , with a pint of milk , seems to stay hot and taste better than tea .:w

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I am a tea addict...I drink it all day long so the problem of a decent cuppa while fishing has vexed me for years.In the end I stopped messing about,bought a decent flask that actually works which I warm before filling with boiling water and make me char bankside with tea bags and milk.It has changed my fishing life.

As for all that old cobblers about twice boiled water,china cups,milk in last etc I am sure a tea expert could tell the difference but a tannin addict like me gives not a monkey's...just get the kettle on.Yorkshire Tea for preference but I'll drink anything.

I'd be surprised if I drink less than 25 cups a day.God knows what colour my guts are !

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
My wife's Irish granny always used to boil the tea-pot with the loose tea in the pot.
When out/fishing I always make the tea (with bags) from hot water poured from the flask onto the tea bag. I take the milk/sugar in separate containers.

Last edited:

Bill Cox

Reaction score
I boil my water on the bankside but to save gas i fill my kettle from a hot flask i take with me from home. Using water from a flask direct on the teabag is ok for the first cup but thereafter it loses its heat to quickly.:)

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
They haven't invented the flask yet that doesn't make hot drinks taste disgusting.

I use a flask every day of my life, and I can categorically state that the least offensive way of using one is to only fill the flask with water, milk and, if you take it, sugar. Put the tea or coffee in and you will end up with a tepid insipid gloop!

For fishing purposes I carry the coffee seperately. (I couldn't entertain tea as the water in even the most efficient flasks simply isn't hot enough to do the job.) Unless it's a 'car park' swim, in which case I re-boil the water from a flask to save on time and stove fuel.

Leon Roskilly

Reaction score
I can't believe that this thread has come thus far on a forum is supposed to be inhabited by some of the most experienced anglers in the world, yet no one has yet mentioned that the only way to get the real taste of traditional fishing tea is to first boil the water in a kelly-kettle, using only fuel gathered from the riverbank (dry supplies on rainy days excepted), and charged with water directly from the river (if it's clean enough to support fish-life, it's clean enough to boil and drink!).

Only then will you discover the difference between Test tea, Upper-Thames tea, tea made with the clear water of the Kentish Stour (very similar to the Suffolk Little Ouse at Brandon), or the unfortunate tast of the Kennet.

And only then will there be any point in discussion of the various bankside beverages, and their magical ability to induce a take, as the mug is lifted to the lips.

Cakey

Reaction score
Leon what is the average time span between mug hitting lips and getting better enough to go fishing again ?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Leon,

Welcome to Fishing Magic.

Not all waters allow you to burn fires and that would include the heating of a Kelly Kettle.
My club waters rules clearly state no open fires of any kind.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Does anyone use a cup other than the one on their flask?

I have a Thermal Mug i use when i go fishing, it has a lid with a little sliding door to allow you to drink out of so you don't have to take the lid off.
I am far to clumsy to take a china mug with me, it would be in more pieces at the end of a day than the grains in my groundbait.

Leon Roskilly

Reaction score
Leon what is the average time span between mug hitting lips and getting better enough to go fishing again ?

The only time I had a problem was when drinking Tea from the Lea whilst camping at Cheshunt as a kid! (But it might have been the feast of crays from the adjoining pit).

(Unless, of course, you discount the painful episode on a rainy Beault when the pike float moved as I lifted my cup, and the tea scalded me where I most didn't want to be scalded!)

---------- Post added at 07:59 ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 ----------

Hello Leon,

Welcome to Fishing Magic.

Not all waters allow you to burn fires and that would include the heating of a Kelly Kettle.
My club waters rules clearly state no open fires of any kind.

That is sad :(

Get rid of the committee!