''The pinnacle of success''

flightliner

Reaction score
Years ago I used to fish a near local pond,where we could catch some cracking pound plus fish by fishing a one foot cast, no shot and a hook baited with "usk" ( maggot chrysalis) surrounded by lots of others thrown around it.
The water foamed with roach untill the tiny float would sail across the surface untill a strike hooked the fish.
All high summer stuff untill a change to lobtail in the autumn fished hard on the bottom would see one or two roach of enormous proportions ( never weighed- as kids they would always be there surely), that looking back today I reckon they could have been oner two pounds.
Later as a fifteen year old I fished the Witham in lincolnshire and creed wheat gave me my very first two pound roach weighed correctly, other guys at the time had the odd ones too.
In the seventies a lake that was a little further away was turning them up to anyone who bothered to try, a bit like shelling peas The eighties a carp water and a one off from the trent did me the honours.The nineties it was on a big reservoir in west yorkshire-- brilliant big framed fish that had guys coming from the deep south.
That was it, since then countrywide its been nothing but decline, a very depressing scenario.
My last, some seven years or so back , and a heaven sent personal best (go up one digit) was the last I heard of in my region with the exception of the one Binka took this summer.
I know a carp runs water that has a few nice roach presant that will hopefully give me a last chance before to long-- fish to a pound and a half or therabouts that are generally ignored by the locals who's presance on a 24/7 basis thankfully keeps the comorants away.
overall a pretty depressing scenario , so differant to what used to be where it was on the cards that as one big roach water went into decline thro normal cyclical reasons another one would appear not long afterwards.

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
So the consensus of opinion so far seem's to indicate my belief that with regard to big roach the future does not look promising to say the least, with only the odd exception, a most worrying situation whatever the cause. But why then are other species attaining weight's never dreamed of fifty years ago, if it is indeed water quality then surely all would be affected.

sam vimes

Reaction score
So the consensus of opinion so far seem's to indicate my belief that with regard to big roach the future does not look promising to say the least, with only the odd exception, a most worrying situation whatever the cause. But why then are other species attaining weight's never dreamed of fifty years ago, if it is indeed water quality then surely all would be affected.

Some species are going to be more badly affected by pesticide use than others. Everything depends on primary diet. I'd expect fish that I expect to be primarily insect eaters to be the worst affected. To my mind, that means the likes of roach, rudd, dace and grayling. I suspect, possibly with the exception of the latter, they are the species where records are least likely to be broken. Grayling are the possible exception in that they are found in rivers that don't run through primarily arable farm land.

steve2

Reaction score
Found a problem with some of 2lb roach I hoped to fish for, some of the waters have been stocked with Ide. So maybe they are not big roach after all.

silvers

Reaction score
I'm a match angler so haven't targetted big roach ..... there are some cracking wild fish in the Wye .... I've had 3 over 2 - including a 2.8 last November. I was catching Chub and winding them in to lead them straight to the net as you can with chub. I popped this particular "chub" on the surface to make it gasp for air .... then nearly fell off my box and very carefully played it to the net when I realised that the mouth wasn't the gaping maw of a chub!!!

The Middle Severn holds some very big fish too. On the rivers that rise in the very middle of England, I've fished the Warks Avon and Great Ouse for years and the biggest fish I've seen from either (in a match or pleasure) was a 1.13 that I had a couple of years back.

The bad one

Reaction score
Found a problem with some of 2lb roach I hoped to fish for, some of the waters have been stocked with Ide. So maybe they are not big roach after all.
Steve you’re not fishing the same water the erstwhile one time secretary of the Roach Society, Old Ron was are you? Who wrote lyrically on here about catching big roach from some local commercial type water. Only to be told the fish and pictures he was putting up were in fact Ide!