The Timeless Charm of Hardy Glass Fibre Rods

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
In the world of angling, certain names resonate with a rich legacy, and ‘Hardy Brothers’ is undoubtedly one of them. Founded in the 1870s by the visionary siblings, William and John James Hardy, in the quaint town of Alnwick, England, this brand has bestowed the fishing community with exceptional tackle ranging from reels, rods, and various other accessories.

While the iconic split cane rods and the modern graphite versions are well-known, there’s a captivating chapter in Hardy’s history dedicated to their glass fibre rods. Dive with us into this fascinating tale of craftsmanship from the mid-20th century.

The Era of Glass Fibre Rods

1. The Material’s Allure:

Fiberglass, essentially woven strands bonded with resin, might be a tad weightier than the prevalent graphite rods today. However, its unique casting action makes it a favourite among a certain group of anglers.

1. Peak Popularity:

From the breezy 1950s to the bustling 1970s, the angling world saw a transition from the traditional split cane (bamboo) rods to the durable and consistent fiberglass ones.

1. The Signature Action:

If you’ve ever wielded a fiberglass rod, you’ll appreciate its parabolic action. Unlike the tip-focused action of many modern rods, fiberglass offers an even bend throughout, ideal for those delicate casting moments.

1. Notable Models:

Throughout the years, Hardy graced the market with several models of glass fibre rods, see below some of the examples, which are available on the Thomas Turner website.

1. A Collector’s Dream:

While the vintage split cane rods have always enjoyed their day in the sun, there’s a niche yet passionate group of collectors and anglers with a soft spot for vintage fiberglass rods, cherishing them for their rich history and aesthetic appeal.

1. The Fiberglass Resurgence:

Interestingly, the 21st century has witnessed a rekindled love affair with fiberglass rods. Modern-day craftsmen are blending the old-world charm of fiberglass with contemporary design nuances. Such a revival only accentuates the allure of vintage Hardy glass fibre rods.

Whether it’s the nostalgia or the distinctive casting experience, Hardy’s glass fibre rods stand as a testament to timeless craftsmanship in the ever-evolving world of angling.

Let’s take a closer look at some of the Hardy glass fibre rods, of which we have a large selection on our website.

The Hardy Matchmaker

The “Matchmaker” is one of the more recognised Hardy glass fibre rod models, especially among those who are into vintage fishing tackle. It was designed predominantly for coarse fishing, which is particularly popular in the UK. The Matchmaker rods came in various lengths to suit different angling needs. Common lengths included 11, 12, and 13 feet, but there were other variations as well, such as a 13ft.

Hardy-matchmaker-13-rod.jpg

This three-piece 13ft hollow glass match float rod, dates c 1970’s. Factory original throughout, with orange whipped guides, 25″ cork handle, sliding alloy reel rings and rubber butt cap. Light and easy to handle. These iconic rods are great for silver fish to tench and even barbel. This one comes in the makers original cloth bag. Click here to view on our website.

The Hardy Richard Walker fibre glass range

Richard Walker was a significant figure in the development and popularisation of glass fibre rods, recognising their potential in the mid-20th century when the material became more accessible. In collaboration with Hardy, Walker was involved in the design of several glass fibre rods. Here is a brief look at some of the fiberglass rods produced under the Richard Walker name with Hardy:

• Richard Walker Superlite: the Superlite was one of the flagship models, designed for carp but versatile enough for other coarse fishing applications.
  • Richard Walker Avon: This was designed keeping in mind the needs of anglers fishing the Avon and similar rivers. It was suitable for a range of species from chub to barbel.
  • Richard Walker Match: Aimed at match fishing enthusiasts, this rod was designed for the diverse needs of competitive coarse fishing.
  • Richard Walker Reservoir: While there was a split cane version, there was also a fiberglass iteration of the Reservoir rod aimed at reservoir trout fishing.
  • Richard Walker Ledgerlite: This rod was crafted for ledgering, a popular technique especially in carp and barbel fishing.

hardy-richard-walker-superlite-walker-rod-722x400.jpg

A rare opportunity to purchase a piece of angling history, this Hardy Richard Walker Reservoir Superlite rod was given by Richard Walker to his late son Tim Walker in the early eighties. The rod is a well-used example, a 9,3″ two-piece brown hollow fibre glass. Click here to view on our website.

hardy-reservoir-superlite-rod.jpg

This Hardy Richard Walker Reservoir Superlite 9’3” 2-piece hollow glass fly rod is in a rare black finish. This is the last of the model range before carbon came on the scene. Olive whipped guides. Line rated #7/8. Suited to trout and grayling fishing. Comes complete with the maker’s original cloth bag. Click here to view on our website.

Hardy Fred Taylor Trotter

The Hardy Fred Taylor Trotter is another rod in the Hardy lineup that resonates well with enthusiasts of traditional angling. Fred J. Taylor was another influential figure in the world of angling, much like Richard Walker. Fred Taylor was known for his writing on angling topics and his commitment to traditional fishing methods, especially when it came to coarse fishing.

As with the Richard Walker series, the Fred Taylor Trotter was a product of collaboration between the named angler and Hardy. Fred Taylor’s insights into traditional trotting methods influenced the design.

The rod was primarily designed for trotting, a technique used in river fishing where the bait is allowed to “trot” or flow downstream with the current, a particularly effective method for species like chub, roach, and grayling.

Just like the Richard Walker series, the Fred Taylor Trotter is a reflection of the period’s emphasis on angler-led design. Rods were crafted with specific fishing methods in mind, and the collaboration between renowned anglers and established companies like Hardy resulted in tackle that was both functional and had a lasting legacy.

Fred-Taylor-trotter-with-rare-green-whippings.jpg

One of the rarest of the Avon pattern rods from Hardy. This Fred Taylor Trotter is one of the rarer versions as it has a black finish with green whips. Click here to view on our website.

Fred-Taylor-trotter.jpg

The above Fred Taylor Trotter has the more traditional yellow whippings tipped in red with the brown blank. Click here to view on our website.

Hardy Fibalite range

The Hardy Fibalite rods, were, as the name suggests, constructed from fiberglass. Many of the Fibalite rods came with lined guides to reduce line wear, a screw winch reel seat, and often a full or partial cork handle. The craftsmanship that Hardy was known for was evident in these rods. There were several rods in the range to cater for different angling pursuits:

Fibalite Spinning: For freshwater and light saltwater spinning.

Fibalite Fly: Designed specifically for fly fishing.

Fibalite Perfection: A more general-purpose rod.

Fibalite Carp: Targeting carp anglers.

Fibalite Match: Catering to match fishing enthusiasts.

Hardy-Fibalite-Perfection.jpg

The above is a 1970’s Hardy Fibalite Perfection two piece hollow glass trout fly rod. Line rate #7/8, this has the classic brown glass blank, with guides whipped yellow and tipped red with brown spigot ferrule, cork handle with up screw alloy reel fitting. View this item on the website here.

Hardy-Fibalite-spinning-rod-1.jpg

The above is a Hardy Fibalite Spinning, 6ft hollow glass spinning rod. One of the rarest of the range, this delicate little rod is ideal for perch chub trout and grayling fishing. It has a brown finish with olive whippings, spigot ferrule and an 8.5” cork handle with sliding alloy reel rings. Click here to view this on our website.

Hardy-Fibalite-salmon-fly-rod.jpg

A very fine Hardy Fibalite Salmon fly rod. 12’6″, line rating #9. With low bridge guides whipped gold and tipped in red. 25” cork handle with screw alloy winch fitting. To view on our website click here.

Hardy-Fibalite-Smuggler.jpg

The range also had traveller versions like this fantastic Hardy Smuggler Fibalite 8′ line #6. With its original alloy stoppers and complete with its original Hardy beige 4-piece blue cloth rod bag. Click here to view on our website!

We have many other rods from this era, such as Hardy Longbow, Hardy Mooching, Hardy Invincible, so if you are interested take a look at our website or get in touch!

New products are coming in all the time, so if there is something that you are after and we do not have it in stock, let us know and we can put you on our ‘watch list’.

Dave Townsend

07535 590617 / 01275 261099

davetownsend@thomasturner.com

The post The Timeless Charm of Hardy Glass Fibre Rods appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
They don't fetch much as far as selling price, I have two a Richard Walker Avon and a Fred J Taylor Trotter, two brilliant rods in their day, I wouldn't sell them because the memories don't relate to the miniscule return for them, collectors are getting something for nothing...

@Clive

Reaction score
I also have two; a Matchmaker 13' that was given to me by the seller when I bought a Youngs Superlite reel on freeads in France and RW Avon that serves as my swing tip rod as it has a screw in tip guide.

chevin4

Reaction score
My girlfriend brought me a Hardy Match Rod from a Kays catalogue around 1980. It may well have been one of the glass rods Hardy produced. It had the same livery as the Matchmaker but was inscribed Match and had a spliced tip. I never got on with it as it was very fast tapered and didn't suit my style of fishing. I have never seen any of the rods come up for sale I guess unlike the Matchmaker it had a short production run

Philip

Reaction score
Not quite the same league as others mentioned but I still have a Shakespeare Alpha match ..it "boasted" fuji lined tip and butt rings and had a part cork, part black plastic handle...all my mates with their Argos and Woolworth rods were dead jealous when I got it. ;)

Great when the sun shone through the orange blank.

nottskev

Reaction score
I had one, too. And a Shakespeare International, their last proper fibreglass job. Here's the ad, 1978.

AAAA.jpg

chevin4

Reaction score
My first quality float rod was a Hardy 12ft 6inch Floatquest. I brought it in Jan 1970 on a cold afternoon from Anglers Corner in Luton. It cost over £17 which was a lot of money for an apprentice on £6 a week. Later that year i purchased a Hardy swingtip rod for £9 it was the early model with thr grey blank and red whippings. I caught a lot of big fish on that rod using it for swing tipping for bream at Linford and in the winter and quivertipping the Gt Ouse for anything which came along.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
I bought a 13' Matchmaker on the recommendation of Mr Harry Peck at Bennetts of Sheffield, and later on a Hardy 'Fred Buller ' pike rod from the Linford Lakes bailiff. Both of which I since regret selling.

The bailiff also offered me at the same time a Hardy 'Endrick' pike rod which I also regret to say I didn't buy... ☹️

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
During my match fishing days I had two Hardy Matchmakers, a 14ft and a 12ft, the latter was a great rod and it stopped me from picking up early carbon match rods as they weren't as good, weight wise and in action, so when the Normark Diamura blanks arrived it was an easy choice...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not quite the same league as others mentioned but I still have a Shakespeare Alpha match ..it "boasted" fuji lined tip and butt rings and had a part cork, part black plastic handle...all my mates with their Argos and Woolworth rods were dead jealous when I got it. ;)

Great when the sun shone through the orange blank.
I got one of them, not sure where I got it and never used it...
shakespear alpha 2.jpg

Philip

Reaction score
Quite a nice rod, still be happy to use it today.

Mines been stored away for a while, I really should get it out from time to time. Sure I still have a Mitchell Match reel somewhere which would make a good combo even if I hated that reel with a vengence (sorry Mark W:);))

@Clive

Reaction score
Quite a nice rod, still be happy to use it today.

Mines been stored away for a while, I really should get it out from time to time. Sure I still have a Mitchell Match reel somewhere which would make a good combo even if I hated that reel with a vengence (sorry Mark W:);))
Philipstein!

If you had passed by Lessignac-Durand yesterday afternoon you would have heard the sound of a Mitchell 440A 'Match' purring contentedly as roach after roach fell for its Gallic charm. It was given to me by my old shooting and fishing mate who had owned it from new. I have two, one on a Greys TX 12' Float rod and the other on a Hardy Matchmaker fibreglass 13' match rod. Plus an older 440 with the same auto-bail.

Philip

Reaction score
you would have heard the sound of a Mitchell 440A 'Match' purring contentedly

Purring ? ....or that sort of clackerty-clackerty sound as the bail failed to fully engage for the 1000th time ? :LOL:

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
Purring ? ....or that sort of clackerty-clackerty sound as the bail failed to fully engage for the 1000th time ? :LOL:

Sounds like it needs some TLC. I haven't had that issue with mine. I stripped down a 330 a few months ago and filed down the cam that pushes the bail mechanism back as it was a little bit stiff to operate. That sorted it. But yours sounds like it needs lubricating or has been put out of true through a mishap? Either way they usually can be sorted.

Philip

Reaction score
Your probably right Clive but its just too much hassle. Maybe one day I will get it out, buy a new bail spring, give it an oil & some TLC but I don’t have the time or inclination which is why I consigned it to a draw and bought some quality Shimanos which have worked for 20+ years faultlessly without any maintenance whatsoever.

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
FWIW there is no bail spring to return the bail to closed, only to open it. The closure is done via a cam inside the rotor head that part of the bail mechanism touches against as the rotor is turning. The cam causes that part to close the bail. If you take the spool off you will see how it operates. There is a sliding switch to prevent the bail from opening. Make sure that hasn't moved and is interfering with the mechanism. If you want to send it to me I am happy to service it for you.

This morning I have been talking to my old mate who gave me the reel about 15 years ago. He told me that he bought it around 1980 and used it on Lincolnshire drains to catch livebait for pike fishing and for spinning. I had the 300A model for ledgering and pikey stuff, but preferred the ABU 506 for my float fishing. I love the auto trip bail of both reels for its ease of use.

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer to service it Clive if you really are keen I may well take you up on that as I am unlikly to ever get round to doing it despite telling myself I will for the last 10 years.

If you PM me your address i'll sort getting it sent (y)

Aknib

Reaction score
Another vote for the Mitchell Match. I love mine and it's the only f/s reel that occasionally draws me away from the 'pin.

Silky smooth and a work of art which interacts perfectly on the cast and almost becomes a part of you, iirc it's crucial to grease something via a small hole in the base plate below the spool which I did (to my usual over zealous degree) and it's functioned reliably and effortlessly on every occasion that i've used it.

I think the blue ones were the earlier models and the black the very later before they sadly stopped producing them.

Man and machine in perfect harmony when you're rolling over a cast, dabbing and releasing at the exact yet effortless moment.