The Times has another go at fishing

J

john conway

Perhaps I should have thought a bit more about my reply to Libby?s rant in the times, but I didn?t and in all fairness the Times they did print my little rant:-

The Angling Times editor was complaining about the theft of fish. I can only assume, Libby, that you morally condone the poor stealing from Asda? I think not, it?s just a cheap dig at the working class who enjoy an afternoon fishing. Libby how about an article on the morality of eating just for pleasure when millions are starving, now that?s decadence?

John Conway, Ingleton, North Yorkshire

NIGE K

Reaction score
vegetarians say dont eat meat but if we all stopped there would be no need for sheep beefcattle or pigs they would all be destroyed and the land used for arable farming they are only here because they are bred for food.angling is a similar situation in such that the fish are bred for our enjoyment and treated extremely well by most anglers,conservation of habitats and general well being of the fish is very immportant catching a big fish you know its had years of care behind its development.if angling stopped and the immigrant poachers were allowed to run amok you would be left with lots of lifeless rivers and ponds, land owners would not look after empty ponds and a multi million pound tackle bussiness would suffer leaving many people out of work and the government short of taxes.the biggest losers out of this would have to be the fish going from a life of near luxury in well kept waters with food a plenty to the barbecue or stock pot i think they would choose the occasional catch and release over cheese and parsley sauce.

J

john conway

Fred I agree with you it is important that we know the law before making public statements. There are no laws about the species of fish you can or can not eat. The law is about the taking and transferring of fish.

Deanos

Reaction score
Nige,
Vegetarians do not say ?don?t eat meat?. I am a veggie, fisherman, and host of other things as well. All the veggies I know say live your life and be free mate.
I would happily eat a veggie curry with you whilst you chomped a meat one, absolutely no problem (do you want that last bit of garlic nan, or can I have it!).

NIGE K

Reaction score
sorry deano i dont eat curry mate, i wasnt having a go at veggies live and let live is fine by me but not when it comes to immigrants pinching fish and you can have that nan cos im not keen on garlic either lol