This is what our beloved sport has come to

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
welfare of the fish!! at last...someone who understands my point.......no chicken mate....but i do not take advantage of the old or infirm......it brings bad karma.!

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Go on Staurt, accept the challenge. Unless your tight formoney?

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
Graham would probably batter him. And he knows it.

Interesting to know that the likes of Scotthorne, Clegg and Pickering aren't anglers according to Stuart. He seems to have caught a bad dose of river snobbery...../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifA common affliction of the narrow minded. More than a hint of biggotry if his post wasn't deliberately tongue in cheek...

As I said earlier, angling would be stuffed if it wasn't for these waters. Just because somewhere has high stock levels doesn't mean in is a bad environment for fish. Intensively stocked fisheries can be superb habitats for fish if they are intensively managed in the right way.

As for fish being a commodity, of course they are! Anyone who thinks otherwise is a stone blind idiot. Aquaculture, wild fisheries of all kinds, commercials -every fish hasits monetary value. The Test, the Tweed, the Trent, the Welland; 7lb Lea chub, 14lb Nene barbel, 4lb Marsh farm crucians, 6lb Trent barbel - they're all worth money because anglers pay to fish the venue specifically for those fish.

So the time's long overdue for some to pull their heads out of their backsides and drop the my-fish-is-better-than-your-fish mentality. They should have left it in the school playground!

gerry h

Reaction score
sorry fellas ,but I have nothing against commercials , but my original point was about the fact that the AT was glorifying the exploits of an angler , fishing on a venue that is in the throes of KHV ,what kind of impression does this give the puplic and the anti's

gerry h

Reaction score
and Greg

its nothing to do with 'my fish is better than yours' mentality and how do you know what state angling would be in now without commercials ,maybe there would be no threat of KHV on our fish in our rivers anyway!

And of course fish have monetry value,but so do other animals ,it does'nt make it right to mistreat them,you cant tell me deliberatly catching infected fish is anything other

T

Tony Rocca

Greg makes an interesting point when he says angling would be stuffed if it wasnt for the commercials................ would it really???

Sure things move on and change, but is it always for the better. I seem to remember I quite liked the rivers, ponds and lakes I fished in the 70,s and early 80's before the onset of the so called commercials.

Are there more anglers now? I dont know, would they all still fish if it wasnt for the heavily stocked pools?...... Would they go to the river?

The tackle trade is certainly many times bigger than it was but that means nothing to me, I have always had a healthy dislike for the commercial side of angling.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh dear, so you have had a healthy dislike for the commercial side of angling Tony.

So according to your reckoning, its not right to pay a day or season ticket, or even buy fishing tackle. All these things are part and parcel of commerce, which is the exchange of money for something that is desired.

The commercial side of angling is vital to our sport, just as it is vital to golf, motor racing, football and even flying model planes. Without it we would have no magazines, no literature, no fishing tackle, no innovation, no fishing waters, in fact we would perhaps have no fishing!

Think again, your dislike of the commercial side of angling sounds very UNhealthy by my reckoning.

And extremely narrow minded.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Stuart, so because I fish commercials occasionally I'm not an angler?

So let's put our money where our mouths are:

Let's fish a river neither of us have ever fished before, fish it for the day, and see who does best. Loser treats the winner to a pub meal and drinks afterwards. Unless you're too young to go in a pub that is, so in that case we'll go to the nearest McDonalds.

The odds are on your side, you're an angler, I'm only an ignorant fisherman. </blockquote>
Graham - I would like to take you up on that point - It would be worth the money to fish with you and learn something- but I see a flaw in the set up - is there a river in the British Isles you have not fished before- thought you'd catch me out with that one/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
blahblahblah....lets not fight about it chaps....although i do get the feeling that there are those among you , who ..to put it frankly...seem to enjoy the role of "devils advocate"!....anyway...i'm off to play with my knew 18m £5k state of the art carp basher.!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"anyway...i'm off to play with my knew 18m £5k state of the art carp basher.!"

You could always "beef it up a bit" and use it for barbs???

Chicken! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

T

Tony Rocca

Ron,

Try reading it again, that sentance was in relation to the tackle trade, which I do think push a load of old rubbish in the main. Dont take my words out of context, thats a 2Bobs trick.

More than happy to pay my way in relation to permits, day tickets or quality gear,in fact I have said many times on herethatmost permitsare too cheap.

Me narrow minded?.........Ya silly old duffer./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
2Bobs trick is taking words out of context? I can do better than that.

Here are yours - out of order.

Makes more sense if you ask me...

"Me?

More than happy to do cheap permitsor day tickets. most pay it again.

I Try to push a load of old rubbish in the main.

Dont take 2Bobs quality reading out of context, thats my trick,in fact......... Ya old duffer

which in a way I have said, in words, many times on here,

my relation to the tackle trade gear was silly. think thatsentance narrow minded to

are relation permits that"

Struggled with the last four as you don't use prepositions or a great deal of punctuation.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gifTone just complemented you Bob. I think....

I think the commercials made angling more convenient and 'consumer'-friendly for some Tone. Hiow many 15-year-old have you met trotting a stick recently? My point is entry level anglers learn on the commercials and then probably stay there, as demonstrated by the fact that many rivers are empty of anglers but few commercials ever are. Commercials are just symptomatic of amodern, consumer society made possible by doing away with the closed season on lakes. That was the decision that got us where we are now.

I think people sometimes mistake the reporting of the factsfor glorification. Do you think White Acres should not have run its festivals Gerry?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I think the rearrangement of those words would be:

Tone complimented you. just... I think

I try not to encourage moths.

You know the easiest way to work out who's got no experience of commercial fisheries and therefore talking out of their backsides? The one's who say the fishing is just soooo easy. Right!

Just typed up a club match report from a local commercial fishery. A third of the field blanked. More and more reports over the past few weeks have commented on the numbers of dry nets. Can't all be crap anglers, you know.

Some of these knockers really ought to come along and show everyone how it's done. These great anglers might just be in for a rude awakening and that's without having to take on the likes of a Ringer, a Raison or a Scotthorne at the next peg.

I don't feel the need to criticise trout anglers or sea fishermen. I just accept that what they do is different to what I do and providing they don't try and prevent me from enjoying what I do I really don't care. Live and let live.

All this 'overstocking is wrong' mullarkey is pathetic. You guys stick hooks in fish - bloomin big ones, too. Then you need a code of practise to revive them after the shock and trauma of capture and worry that if you retain them for any length of time they'll come to great harm. Live baits, treble hooks, high oil content baits can all be thrown in the mix. And targetting the same few old age pensioner fish over and over again. 'Eeehh lad. Did reet good last night. Had the Parrot again. Ounce bigger than last time, too...'

At least the commercials offer open access to all. None of this, it's wrong to fish 'em but by God man, don't you go thinking you're going to come and fish on my bit of river.

Hipocritical? Not half.

Anyone fancy a ruck. I'm bored!

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Yep Bob I'm up for a good Fu.......... sorry just read your last line again and realised I'd mis read it 1st time - Still if yor bored you might enjoy it!!

Reaction score
M'lud,

So Mr. Bobs was a proper educated chap like us - do you happen to know which one?

Never realised that many of these schools were named after the more well endowed prefects or the traditonal howl new fags were to utter on their initiation e.g Ampleforth or Harroooooooooow, Giggle Swick, although calling the public school of choice for our royals after the excessive indulgence in fags (Eaten) is perhaps gilding the lily! (Which was a very popular activity on the more delicate new boy!)