Tips on Clipping up

jamstorr86

Reaction score
Morning folks,

recently bought the shimano mini baitrunner for my method feeder. Using the line clip im seeing big improvements in my accuracy and such, but I'm finding it really fiddly clipping up all the time. Seems to take me forever to re-clip my line before reeling back in.

Does anyone have any tips?

terry m

Reaction score
The task becomes particularly fiddly on smaller reels.

I try to use a fingernail to guide the line into the groove then a gently pull should draw it home.

I think you will find it does get easier with time as a knack is developed.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
The advice I am going to give you only really works during a day session when you can be on your rods in a flash.

Clip up to the desired distance but when you cast out, hold the rod at 90 degrees when you hit the clip - this should give you around 15 foot of line to play with when you get a run (it works best with tench, bream, roach but not carp and definately not barbel).

Also, paint the line with a line marker just below where the line is clipped up - if you hook a big fish that decides it wants to run from initial hooking, you can unclip the line. Keep an eye out for the marked line when playing the fish, just re-clip up whilst playing the fish.

B

binka

Not wanting to hijack the thread but relevant to clipping up and a possible perfect solution in relation to the OP's question if it works... Has anyone tried the Wychwood ACS clip system?

If it does work I'm surprised we don't hear more of it or see it on other reels unless they've patented it...

Wychwood ACS clip - YouTube

jamstorr86

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like practice is going to make perfect.

I've had a bit of pain with marking up my line. I have been using electric tape, but i find that when i get a run and start reeling in with tension, the tape begins to slide down the line when it reaches the rod tip.

think I might give the nash spot on line marker a try and see if i have better luck.

---------- Post added at 02:29 ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 ----------

Not wanting to hijack the thread but relevant to clipping up and a possible perfect solution in relation to the OP's question if it works... Has anyone tried the Wychwood ACS clip system?

If it does work I'm surprised we don't hear more of it or see it on other reels unless they've patented it...

I've had an eye on this and the MAP reels too with the ACS. But after buying the shimano I don;t think my lass would be happy with me spending another £60 in a reel! haha

terry m

Reaction score

Not seen that before Binka, but I have to say that it does look impressive.

B

binka

Not seen that before Binka, but I have to say that it does look impressive.

Yeah I first saw it a few months ago and that clip was posted almost a year back with a clip for a similar MAP reel posted two years ago... you'd have thought that this kind of thing would be very popular?

Might have to take a closer look when I can find a dealer and see if they'll rig it on a butt section to see how it goes.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I have an ACS reel (smaller MAP one) and I'm pleased to say it works a treat.

The only thing you have to make sure is that the clip is located on the underneath of the reel (i.e. pointing at the ground) when you cast.

Of course, since I've bought it - I've not had anything big enough to pull line off the spool, doh!

Actually, having done a fair bit of method fishing clipped up in the past (before I bought the ACS reel)... as long as you're sat on your rod, its actually very rare for a fish to be able to build a sufficient pull against you to take the line off the clutch on the bite, providing you're fishing at a reasonable distance (say 50 yards).... because the angles involved generally make the fish kite to one side, no matter what size.

Of course that changes a bit the closer in you get!

terry m

Reaction score
Yeah I first saw it a few months ago and that clip was posted almost a year back with a clip for a similar MAP reel posted two years ago... you'd have thought that this kind of thing would be very popular?

Might have to take a closer look when I can find a dealer and see if they'll rig it on a butt section to see how it goes.

The more I think about this. the more it seems too good to be true.

So what would happen if the spool was sat at the most forward, or rearward position of its oscillation? In those circumstances the angle of the line to the clip would be more aggressive and may not pop out so readily as shown in the video. As you suggest it needs messing about with for some time to confirm that it really is a game changer.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Terry, I'm not sure I follow you? The in order for the clip to work it needs the line to be coming through the bail arm.... in which case the angle of "pull" will be the same, regardless of the spools actual position?

---------- Post added at 04:30 ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 ----------

Ok, got it now, there's the travel of the spool to think about (which allows for line lay).... All I can say is that i've played with mine for a good long time and I've not managed to make it stick yet, it's popped out perfectly every time.

The only issue I've had was when I'd forgotten about the "spool down" before casting, and the line pinged out of the clip on the cast.

Having said that, if you're going to get the best out of this feature, you still need to have a way of returning to the correct length if the line does come out of the clip. Dependant on circumstance, my preference on that is to have two markers on the bank rather than using a marker on the line. Never did like the sensation of that coming through the rings when you've got a decent fish on

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Well my mate bought the MAP reel (don't know the exact model) and I've played around with it quite a bit and I thought it was particularly good and it pretty much did everything it was supposed to and believe me, I'm one of life's sceptics. Very impressive bit of kit.

jamstorr86

Reaction score
I've bit the bullet and picked up the MAP Carptek 4000FS. not used it yet, but it seemed good quality. I will let you all know how i get on with it at the weekend.

B

binka

I've bit the bullet and picked up the MAP Carptek 4000FS. not used it yet, but it seemed good quality. I will let you all know how i get on with it at the weekend.

Good luck with it mate, I've not seen one in the flesh and sure it will be everything you want it to be by the sounds of things.

I was in Lanes of Coventry this morning and had a play with the Wychwood Solace Compact (£59.99) which might be worth putting on the shortlist if anyone's in the same boat and considering a compact baitrunner.

I compared it with the Daiwa Emcast which I'd almost made my mind up to go with but the Solace is a much smaller, lovely little compact reel and solid feeling too along with the ACS line clip... not overly suitable for hurling out heavy deadbaits but a nice barbelling reel I reckon.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with the MAP, tight lines :thumbs:

Ps... I bought neither reel and bowed to the modern era, I left the shop with two bite alarms :eek:mg:

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
no need for fancy clips, just tie your stop knot with marker braid and leave the tags around 1.25" long and tuck both ends into the line clip. you can now leave it clipped up all day long and if a big fish/carp or whatever takes your bait the tags will simply pull out of the clip leaving you to play it as normal, then after you land the fish re-clip and cast, simple.

sufix marker braid is thin and suitable for gripping braided main lines while fox marker braid is slightly thicker and grips mono better. this method can be used with any reel that has a line clip,give it a try

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
6-10lb mono marker braid works fine but with 4lb line I use 4lb mono as a stop as it grips better. when piking with 50lb power pro the sufix marker braid is the stuff to use

smufter

Reaction score

Just a "bargain alert" if you are thinking about these reels (Wychwood Solace 10 ACS)
I have just purchased some from Angling Direct. Everywhere else seemed to have these at around the £70.00 mark but I stumbled on them at AD for the princely sum of £49.99 each delivered.
I purchased one and loved it so much have now purchased a further two and am now using them as my main reels.
Great line lay, and the clutch is superb.
The only thing I don't like about them (and this is purely from a personal viewpoint) is that the baitrunner switch works the opposite way to my previous Daiwas in that you have to click it "down" to turn it off. I have got used to switching the baitrunner off just prior to picking the rod up as I find this helps set the hook better and was a more "natural" movement to have it the other way round, but I'll get used to it.
I haven't used the clip system yet (which is a bit of a shame as this thread was initially about clipping up!) but if it's anything like the rest of the reel it should work perfectly.
But I wanted to give a heads up for a great price on what is proving to be a great reel.

B

binka

Just a "bargain alert" if you are thinking about these reels (Wychwood Solace 10 ACS)
I have just purchased some from Angling Direct. Everywhere else seemed to have these at around the £70.00 mark but I stumbled on them at AD for the princely sum of £49.99 each delivered.
I purchased one and loved it so much have now purchased a further two and am now using them as my main reels.
Great line lay, and the clutch is superb.
The only thing I don't like about them (and this is purely from a personal viewpoint) is that the baitrunner switch works the opposite way to my previous Daiwas in that you have to click it "down" to turn it off. I have got used to switching the baitrunner off just prior to picking the rod up as I find this helps set the hook better and was a more "natural" movement to have it the other way round, but I'll get used to it.
I haven't used the clip system yet (which is a bit of a shame as this thread was initially about clipping up!) but if it's anything like the rest of the reel it should work perfectly.
But I wanted to give a heads up for a great price on what is proving to be a great reel.

Thanks for the heads up and the feedback smufter, much appreciated.

Yes I thought the reversed freespool lever was a bit weird too, not sure why they do it that way but like yourself I think it's something that I would just get used to given time :)