Traditional baits

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Loads have fished up in the water but don't get many carp and no zig or surface fishing is allowed . But according other anglers it's been hard going last week . Getting ready to start spawning perhaps ?

The lake is a small gravel pit not a high stocked commie . Run by a local club .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think it was Jim Gibbinson (in one of his books) who suggested black eye peas cooked in tomato sauce just about the dog's cahounas for tench....

From memory they need soaking before cooking and should be okay hair rigged. Must find the book, but lost in a packing case due to builders. Someone must remember it??

laguna

Reaction score
There is a lake I'm fishing and u have tried pellets and wafters as Hookbait least 5 times now and not even a nibble but then use smaller pellets as loose feed like 6mm and smaller and they feed on them . Same with corn yellow doesn't work but red corn does .

Do you think the fish have wised up to larger pellets and corn due to the years of match anglers on the lake ?

I'm thinking going more back to traditional baits . Dead reds and casters work and so does red corn .

Was thinking to try meat and loose feed hemp and small chunks of meat the larger Hookbait ?

Any other good traditional bait / methods to try ?

Going for carp and tench close in .

Its sometimes worth reminding that if fish take small bait, they do so in the knowledge (yes they have limited intelligence, but bounds of instinct), that a small morsel (appropriate to their mouth size) is likely to be consumed quickly. If hungry and competing for food, then a softer bait to waffle down is often preferred as they don't need to spend time chewing and crunching down on some larger/harder bait. :thumbs:

Ps A softer/soluble bait also allows the flavours out better/faster. Red is best for tench.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's room for thought , j know the carp have crushing pads in there throat but something softer and mushy surly would be easier than a big hard pellet ?

Well that's the idea !