Trent, Fantastic Trent

C

Carp Angler

Stephen
to save your posts getting buried or ignored you would be better to post a new thread in future.
The info you require is as follows...

Reel Care,
100 Kendal Shops,
Kendal Ave.,
Millbrook,
Southampton,
Hants.
SO16 9LY
Tel: 02380 777232

R

Rick Shaw

Ron, On your earlier post, you mention lots of natural food in the trent, ie: black snails. This is not necessarily a good sign as they are a lower class and pollution tollerant macro-invertebrate,(food for fish) and tells you that the water quality is not that good, even though it may look clean and gin clear. They also can carry an eye fluke called 'diplostimum' which causes fish to go blind, especially bottom feeding species in rivers with lower flow rates.Barbel are very susseptible as was proved on the River Lea in the 80's where at least 75% (in a scientific survey) of the barbel populations on Kings Weir and Fishers Green had eye defects that would eventually lead to blindness. They don't die because they have their barbules to help sense food items, however mid water feeders will be wiped out in extreme cases as they hunt and feed by sight and would die of starvation. Food for thought?

R

Ron Clay

Yes it is Rick. However all the barbel I have caught this year have been in the peak of fitness. Trent barbel particularly have a silvery sheen and bright orange anal and ventral fins which gives them a very attractive appearance. They also fight like they do in Yorkshire.

R

Ron Clay

Rick,

You mention that snails carry flukes. In South Africa many of the Freshwater snails carry the Bilharzia fluke. I should know because I was infected some years ago. Its a pretty awful desease that in some cases never leaves your body and there can be re-occurences later in life.

If I ever get this thing again I shall have to go back to SA toot-sweet because my local doctor had never heard of it!!!

K

Kevin Clifford

I agree with Ron, the barbel are invarably in excellent condition and usually fat. Altough these snails may be carriers of eye fluke they don't have to be. Years ago when barbel first started being recaught in the Trent I remember Archie Braddock going out of his way to catch them. He caught quite a few when he found out the areas and he gave a talk at the Sheffield Hallamshire Specimen Group. I was a member in those days. I remember Archie reporting that all the barbel he caught were badly infected with eye fluke and blind. That isn't the case nowadays. I haven't noticed any barbel that were infected, certainly not moderately or badly infected so things must have changed since those early catches of Archie's.