Trent Whingers

M

matt thomas

ah the trent,that magical river that has been like a drug to me since i was 11 with me dad and i caught a gudgeon-the arseley bomb was bigger!!,but i served my apprenticeship with a stick float, or a chubber on the wears .yes nowadays at times its hard but sometimes you will have a red letter day.Now if you want BIG barbel or 60lb bags of chub i know where to go and i am sure everyone else who knows the river has their "special"pegs. I don't do carp but if i did a walk along the bank as many times as i actually fish and you make aquaintences and most will offer a tip or two,thats what you have got to do-homework.
oh and you still need a gallon of maggots -for the chub anyway.lastly i love the way it is now- miles and miles to yourself,nowt like it eh ron

D

Dave Silvers

OK Matt so they are not big pike, but some stretches must be better than others.
I've never had a pike out of the Trent and it would be nice.

M

matt thomas

well all around the trent bridge area and upto sawley i have had plenty of good sport,thats my stomping ground boat yard above east bridgeford is good as well but probably not at the mo-unless you have a canoe

R

Robert Draper

Derby Railway AC have stretches of the Trent at Shardlow. I went last year for a couple of afternoons and had a whale of a time trotting a stick for a few roach and a hell of a lot of perch around the half kilo mark (just over a pound ish). I wouldn't put anyone off using a stick if they want to, it's still a very enjoyable way of catching fish. I tried spinning but I just got more perch, I saw a pike about two to three kilos but it wasn't interested. Another session on specimen tactics saw a couple of smallish carp and a single lean barbel, nice fish but just not as enjoyable as seeing a well-shaped bit of balsa and cane wind its way downstream. 10mm strawberry boilies are excellent trotting bait. As far as I'm concerned the Trent is just as good as it was back in the 70s and 80s (I started on the Trent in 1975 at the age of 6), there are fewer small fish but the variety of methods you can use to catch the bigger ones makes the river much more fun.

R

Ron Clay

Your comments are most interesting Robert. You should see the rubbish being written on the letter pages in Angling Star of late about the Trent.

One guy claims the Trent is sterile!

R

Robert Draper

I'm not surprised, a fellow on the next peg to me while I was perch-hauling was saying the same thing. I think it has become fashionable to rant on about the Trent rather than simply try new ways of fishing it, reminds me of the three Yorkshiremen sketch <ducks to avoid flying parkin!>.

R

Ron Clay

One of the biggest faults I have seen regarding many anglers on the Trent is that almost to a man they cast out too far. The vast majority of barbel and chub I have caught on this river have come from under my own bank. This is very true if you fish on the outside of a bend or if the river is flooded.

There are those who say that barbel in flooded rivers do not come right into the margins and feed on the newly covered grass.

Codswallop!!

Newly covered grass means worms are about and barbel love worms. I have lost count of the numbers of barbel I have taken fishing over flooded grass, not only on the Trent.

I often wonder just how much fishing some of these self proclaimed barbel experts have ever done?

The other problem are the anglers who use too short a hooklength. My hooklength is at least 3 feet long and is often over 4 feet. I use fluoro hooklengths and often pin the hooklength to the deck with a bit of heavy metal. Shots tend to weaken the line.

A long hooklength will prevent the fish being spooked as they go for your bait by catching a fin on the reel line.

Perhaps I should stop giving too many secrets away. ;o)

L

Lee Fletcher

Dear Ron, and all,

Just a few thoughts on Trent fishing from myself.

It is true on average these days, that the great catches of roach and chub made by the feeder anglers throughout the 70's and 80's are no longer with us. Many reasons have been attributed for this apparent downturn. Too clearer water, Cormorant predation, being the favourite two.

I'm not sure myself what the reasons are. But there can be no doubting, that anglers can no longer take for granted that they are going to catch a netfull of chub from the Trent in the day time, irrespective of the venue or stretch as they could have done a few years back. But does this mean that the chub or the roach are no longer there to be caught? Absolutely not. All species continue to breed prolifically in the Trent. So breeding is not a problem.

The thing is, the River Trent has developed into a bit of a Chameleon river in terms of its daylight traits as opposed to how the river fishes in the hours of darkness. Why this is I dont strictly know. Perhaps something that the cormorants relentless presence has brought about, or the clearer water, but one thing is certain, fish in the night and your catch rates will go up dramatically for most intended course species.

But of course, not everyone either wants, or is able, to fish throughout the night. But even so, I still honestly believe that some excellent fishing generally, with some amazing "red letter day" catches are easily possible for the "average" angler in the daylight hours as well as in the hours of darkness.

All who know me, know that I am a barbel only angler now a days. By "barbel only", I mean I preffer to catch barbel. The reality of course, is anything but that because in the normal course of events I catch bream, chub, roach, eels, tench, perch, dace, carp and even a few nice trout accidentally in my barbel fishing endevours. As such, these accidental species always remind me of exactly what there is out there in the Trent to be caught. Trent pike fishing is vertually untapped.

Ron Clay has suggested to me a few weeks back that I should do an article for the "Angling Star" so as to perhaps dispel certain myths concerning River Trent course fishing. Those myths generally being, that the fishing on the Trent is "crap" to coin a popular descriptive.

I do feel though, that one article goes no where near towards explaining and demonstrating in a practical matter, the fantastic fishing there is to be had on the River Trent. Also, as a side issue, but one that I care for passionately, our open to all river fishing clubs could do with a "leg up" in terms of getting more anglers to return too our rivers once more.

So, I will indeed do the article for the Angling Star this year as Ron suggested. But as I said, one article goes no where near enough to showing others just how good the course fishing on the River Trent is. So the season after this one, I fully intend to target many of the other species apart from barbel. I will write an article for each species targetted going over location, bait, tactics etc and send each one to Graham in turn so he can place them in the articles section on Fishing Magic. (providing they are up to scratch that is)

Then, all will know the reality of just what "IS" possible from giving the River Trent a second look.

And I might even chuck in one or two photographs that will definitely surprise a few in the big barbel fishing world!!

Know what I mean Ron?

Regards,

Lee.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Lee,

I look forward to your articles!

Ok, I'm itching to give it another go. Can anyone suggest which stretches can be fished on a day ticket? Any info on where to park, and where not to fish would be most welcome.

A

Andrew Sugden

Lee. What happened to your tales of the river bank in BFW ? I used to look forward to reading your trent diary. It certainly made me want to drive down from Yorkshire

R

Ron Clay

Get those articles done Lee. I look forward to them and to seeing you down the Trent again.

L

Lee Fletcher

Dear Matt,

Email me with some details of what you want to catch together with a general area on the Trent that is nearest to you and I will give you some tips.

Dear Ron,

The last time we talked was too short. Perhaps next time we meet up we could have a real chin wag whilst of course, hopefully catch one or two of those clomping barbel.

Regards,

Lee.

S

stu black

Lee,

I'm ready and waiting with my 3 rods, extra-loud buzzers, 10 oz leads, boilies and bivvy!

;-)

Stu

D

Dave Barringham

Matt, most stretches of the Trent (upper, middle and tidal) can still be fished on a day ticket. However, I worry for the future, as just about every club/association is struggling to break even on the stretches they rent. Make the most of this situation whilse it lasts, because I doubt if it will be many years before syndicates will snap up the very best areas on the Trent.

D

Dave Barringham

By the way, parking is more of a problem than it used to be. On the Ferry Field pegs at Burton Joyce, and 'A' section, you will now be faced with a VERY LONG walk. The lane leading to the car park at the top of this stretch is now impassable due to the gate being locked all the time. In fact the car park at the bottom of the famous 'road stretch' has suffered the same fate. The cause, you may ask? Tearaways in stolen cars setting fire to them and leaving the land owners/council to clear up the mess.

W

william kirkwood

DAVE SILVERS. YOU SAY NO MINERS OR STEELWORKERS NOW LINING THE BANKS.
BUT THERES NO MINERS OR STEEL WORKERS ANY WHERE NOW. BUT THERE IS PLENTY OF FISH.