Tweaks To Lure Fishing Techniques..

shudz_eye

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this site, and to fishing..so be gentle.

To give you an idea of my level, I've been river fishing with a mate (who is a keen angler though mainly for carp) a few times. Learnt to tie the knots and basics like netting and unhooking, float and leisure fishing.

Decided I didn't really like the sitting in the same place for hours so have decided to venture into lure fishing..less stinking bait!

2 weeks ago I invested in a 11ft telescopic spinning rod and reel, unhooking kit and other pike essentials. I've been for 4 dusk sessions usually 2-3 hours, covering a mile of river or so.

So far I've had a small perch to christen my rod, and hooked 3 Jacks about 5Ibs, though the 1st caught me by surprise as 1st cast and it breached the water and came off before I'd thought to set hook, the other 2 I think I took too long and they came off, one half in the net it seemed so I'm still awaiting my first pike in the net...

I fish the river Avon around bath and Bristol, pretty slow flowing and deep, and a lot of locks/weirs, and surprisingly clear.

There's also a lot of moored longboats in my area, I heard the pike like these though the 3 I've encountered seem to be just off the boats to me, and on the corner of the river

2 of the pike took 12g spinners at mid level, the other a grey minnow.

Now I've had a chance to get a feel, I'd like to know if there are any tips for which lures are best in certain situations. I.e overcast or bright conditions, or should I go deeper or shallower in winter.

Also, is there a particular time of day that is better for lures? And how long should I spend in a swim, should I try one lure in a swim, then switch to another type to cover all depths etc..

Apologies for rambling..

Thanks