Two Hook Rigs

R

Ryan Turner

Its amazing how a thread can sidetrack, not to mention where it can sidetrack to! Back to the subject at hand, I have used two hooks for feeder fishing for roach and bream, I grew up watching my matchman grandad use this method and naturally tried copying him. I have to say that I have generally found it to be no more productive than using one hook, although I have caught two small roach at the same time, at which point I changed to one hook, there were a lot of bits in the swim so as soon as the feeder hit the deck two taps and I had double roach fry!

My Grandad used to tell me about when he caught two huge bream at once in Ireland on Lough Garadice (i think) seven pounds each so the myth went, but you know what anglers tales are like!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Maggots used to be called gentles NOT gentiles!

G

Gary Knowles

Like Graham I used 2 hook rigs when bream fishing but not always. On lakes where weed is a problem I usually fish a single hook rig on a long hooklength in conjunction with a small paternoster length. This ensures that when slowly inching a big fish in, the feeder or lead will be above any weed. Likewise if I fished a 2 hook rig and the bream was hooked on the top hook, both the feeder and second hook would be dragging bottom/weed. Thus increasing the chances of snagging up/hook pulling.

I do however usually fish 2 hook rigs in clear swims.

I also, like Paul use the mini-bolt rig with 2 hooks when roach fishing. Anyone who has fished until 2am in the morning on a windswept reservoir in February will automatically see why I do this.

The 'purists' who dislike this rig would have been in bed hours ago after winding in crushed maggots 'cos their hands were too cold to strike !

P

Paul Williams

I'm glad i ain't jewish if it ends up looking like a maggot!!!!! is it true Graham, or is it just your wallet thats Jewish???
A windswept res at 2am on a Feb morning....that send a shiver through me Gary!...done some of that, Brrrrrr but i'll be back for more!

C

Carp Angler

If the upper rig is held in place with float stops then the initial surge should see the top rig resting against the feeder/lead/bottom rig and thus leaving you with no loose dangling bits.
If your rig is not able to slide then you should seriously look at it because it may be a tether rig.

P

Paul Williams

Rik,
The original way of using this rig was to "tie" the droppers directly to the main line (Alan Wilson still use's it) that is definatly a tether rig!
i now use float stops or a bristle rig that will hopefully slide,though i find the bristle rig is better for a good chuck for exactly the reason you state.
I know that a roach probably wouldn't be able to " slide" the rig but to be honest my setup has never caused me a break when roach take the bait, the danger lies when playing larger fish like carp but they hopefully would be able to get the momentum to cause the hoooklink to slip off the mainline in the event of it parting above the hooklinks.
I personally always use a weaker hooklink and a stronger mainline when using the rig and i tend to use it on clear bottoms so the risk of snagging and pulling for a break are minimal.
That all said i'm always ready to listen to ways to improve what is a terrific rig.
I was going to try an inline feeder tight to heavy indicator....but a guy i respect said he had tried it and for some reason it didn't work so well...though he couldn't explain why! neither can i !

C

Carp Angler

I only use inline feeders with single hook rigs as I couldn't think of anywhere to put the second rig, unless it was a wishbone below the feeder.
This I feel would unbalance the set-up and wouldn't allow me to present 2 baits at different distances from the feeder, which is my main aim when fishing a 2 hook rig.

P

Paul Williams

I forgot to mention that the inline setup means reverting back to a single hooklink, thanks for pointing that out Rik.

C

Carp Angler

If it's single hook rigs then inline feeders are certainly better in some situations.
I used them extensively on the lower Avon/Stour filled with hemp, but I had to make my own as the commercially available ones are a bit small for that, but those will be one of my methods at the Clattercote match.
(Oh bugger, there goes one of my advantages)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Paul, my wallet isn't Jewish. It's always covered up............