captain carrott

Reaction score
in answer to your first question

all of em apart from possibly catfish.

and in answer to your second question

all of em.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Though I have heard a rumour that Sensas baits don't work...

Seriously, wait till the current rain has flushed the leaves and cr*p out of the rivers, then try mashed bread with flake on the hook for Chub and big roach; "liquidised" bread and punch for small roach; hemp and caster for almost anything that swims, and smelly cheesepaste for chub. Oh, and worms!!! For anything!

Put any of those into the "search" box for more details.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
With pay-lakes, just ask the owner - it's in his interest to give you good advice so you'll have a good day and return.

Tree-clad ponds tend to be a waste of time right now, because of all the rotting leaves, and big reservoirs and gravel-pits can be heart-breakers - you can't beat local knowledge, and the focus for that is your local tackle shop. Or follow the scales round if there's a match fished on any of your local waters. Some lakes do fish reasonably well in the autumn and winter, I just wish I knew a few more!

I can't help with canals, I hate them! Doubly so in the winter!

This really is the time to check out your local river, unless you're really lucky with your local lakes! River fish have to keep swimming, unless they want a one-way trip to the seaside, so they need to feed more.

Fill in your profile, and say which county you're in, and you may get some more precise pointers.

steve taylor

Reaction score
THANK M8

Les Clark NOT DONE MUCH FISHING SINCE 2002 I HAVE FORGOT GOT A LOT LOL

i no whats in ponds lake ,river ijust likr to know what is best for this time of year ,i was all ways told pike but i like roc/tench,brem more

so what bait is best in winter for them

Alan Tyler staffs newcastle under lyme

ps i would love go on i river but no river by me m8 plus dont have i clue on them /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Darren George

Reaction score
Tony Miles wrote a good article about this in Coarse Angling Today, Nov 2007, p.12

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Steve, theres a couple of small rivers in easy distances of Newcastle-u-Lyme. Various Potteries clubs own stretches. You could always give Tony Keeling who writes for Anglers Mail a call, his number is on his page of Midlands fisherys. Theres the upper Trent around Stoke, the Derwent isnt too far, the Dove, the Blythe and the Sow in Stafford. I dont know if Dolphin Tackle is still going just off the A500, but they were always good for information.

Yacko

Reaction score
Agree with what's been said, if you can get on a river that would be best. You will never know how to fish them if you don’t try. If you could persevere and get together the right gear to trot a float you will be well pleased you bothered. I've fished lakes through the winter but they can be a real struggle, if you're going to then the lighter you can fish the better and use small baits like maggots.