Unhooking pike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayner

Reaction score
I've posted on the predator thread for a second opinion. Surely if used with care they are a safe way to remove hooks from a pikes mouth.
I mean come on they are a tool, not a weapon.

liphook

Reaction score
Turn the fish upside down and your worries and any need for a gag are totally unfounded! Every angler worth his salt puts the welfare of fish 1st - particularly those to be returned in the hope of someday someone cathing it again! Come on

Keith M

Reaction score
Pike Gags were deemed to cause Pike unnecessary damage as the pointed forked ends would be pushed against the upper and lower jaws of the Pike forcing the jaws to stay open, although most people that used them would mask the pointed bits off with tape anyway, they were also deemed to be unnecessary too as there are more easy and humane ways to open the pikes jaws. You used to be able to buy different sizes of gaff but most anglers would use the large one even on the smaller Pike, which could seriously damage a small pikes jaw when it was forced open.

I thought they were banned back in the 80s and removed from tackle shops; they were certainly banned in all of the Angling clubs that I knew and my local water authority (the TWA) back in the early 80s.

I have always used a thick glove and pliers or forceps and a damp towel. Straddle the Pike upside down place the damp towel across it and kneel on the towel to hold the Pike still and using the gloved hand open the pikes lower jaw.
And then simply remove the hooks using the forceps or long handled pliers.

More experienced Pike anglers often do it differently but that works for me.

I also have a gadget for removing hooks that have actually managed to go down into a pikes throat, and which is supposed to allow you to slide it down the trace to the hooks and then remove them a lot easier as it’s bulbous end is supposed to open the throat as you remove the hooks (see diagram)

Fig. Gadget for removing treble hooks from the pikes throat

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
Gags tend to have far too strong a spring and it can cause damage to pike,Gary turning the fish upside down won't help as he cannot hold it in that position and remove the hook,we used to blob araldite around the business ends of the gag to stop the points causing damage,if I wasn't confident unhooking a pike I would not fish for them,or use methods prone to catch them,also,if I thought my methods would cause real damage to bi-catch such as pike,I would not use those methods,no matter how much I enjoyed them,that's me though,others think differently obviously...

Philip

Reaction score
also have a gadget for removing hooks that have actually managed to go down into a pikes throat, and which is supposed to allow you to slide it down the trace to the hooks and then remove them a lot easier as it’s bulbous end is supposed to open the throat as you remove the hooks (see diagram)

Thats the cone shaped disgorger I was alluding to in my earlier post.

You may just be able to use it one handed...

Hold line in teeth or tight agaisnt rod top, slot on the line and slide down the trace..when you get to Pikes mouth, a bit of manipulation & you should be able to open the mouth with it and get it inside..then slide it down to the hook and push it out.

Wont work with lures however as the lure or jig body will block its passage to the hook.

Reaction score
Sadly, if I had use of only one hand I would under no circumstances think of holding the line tight in my mouth,the risk of the hook/hooks coming out and hooking you in the face would be high imo....in fact,the pike's chances of survival and being returned in a decent condition are far greater using the gag,maybe taping the points of the gag....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Many years ago when a teenager I remember an older fishing friend using a gag with the ends cut off and corks araldited in their place. It seemed a far kinder type of an instrument to my mind.

Even in these overly pc times I'm sure (or at least bloody hope) that other anglers might understand someone who only had the use of one hand using such a device, remembering that they are not in fact banned by law but only by club's rules in some clubs.

steve2

Reaction score
Gags come from an era when most fish not just pike were caught for the pot even the beloved Carp use to be gaffed.
Anything that make it easier for handicapped people to go fishing is alright by me, even a gag, but not the old fashioned powerful pointed ones.

rayner

Reaction score
I thought I had made clear that any pike hooked will be solely by catch. I intend to fish for perch exclusively.
I had a real expectation that my questions involving pike were me being responsible. Just jumping in with next to no knowledge of predators
is something I would not expect to be the best way to start.
All I get is folk who are against the use of a gag. Incidentally, the gag I purchased has no teeth it is more like two T bars with a silicon cover to make it less harsh.
Has Peter Jacobs mentioned the use of the pike gag is not breaking any law I have a sort of understanding of why some don't like them.
My question is to find an alternative if any, that doesn't seem to equate to the brain of pikers. No alternatives have been declared if indeed there are any.
Though I would intend to avoid pike I know it would virtually be impossible, the chance encounter would still need to be dealt with.

liphook

Reaction score
I wasn't aware you only had the use of one hand. You need a ghillie and I'll volunteer right now. Not expecting any paymemt nor tip. I'll meet you there if you send me a pm with your timetable and mobile number to contact you on. It will be my pleasure.

liphook

Reaction score
I wasn't aware you only had the use of one hand. You need a ghillie and I'll volunteer right now. Not expecting any paymemt nor tip. I'll meet you there if you send me a pm with your timetable and contact details. It will be my pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.