Unhooking problems

J

jason fisher

one thing you can try is moving the last dropper to 2 inches from the hook.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Put all the advice together Andy and that's about as good as you're going to get:

Barbless hooks
Dot the float down
Use a dropper shot closer to the hook
And strike quickly

Andyw

Reaction score
Thats great... thanks all.

I'm going again tomorrow.... gonna stick with bread n meat and a larger hook and try for things a bit bigger...

Peter Ewing

Reaction score
Im so glad i found these posts, I just started fishing the other day and we caught 7 perch, most where small, we managed to unhook the first 4 but sadly for 3 the hook proved very hard to unhook and we lost them. Im a big fan of catch and release and would only keep a fish i intend to eat. So I was really gutted that we could notlet the 3 go and thought it was our fault and we where doing something wrong.

So I'm glad to see it isnt just us, ruined my days fishing but now after reading this the next time I go I will be better prepared.

cheers

Nathan

Reaction score
Not sure if this works but i remember seeing a picture where someone had twisted an old food-bag tie just above the hook with the tag end sticking out at right angles to the hook length. The theory being that the perch would only be able to take the bait as far back as the tie would allow. Not sure if it works but possibly something to try?

I've never used this myself a) because i never take food bag ties with me and b) i wasn't sure if it would work.

Reaction score
If nathan theory is correct a float stop could do the same job, thinking about it, if you tied your hooklink as standard and put a drennan grippa stop just above the hook, that would stop them from taking it so far down, as i haven't tried this i couldn't pass comment on how/if it would work, but the idea is there, it would ruin presentation, but the small perch near me are pretty easy to catch and will appear to take anything.

Might be worth a go...

Ryan

PS If rules allow, catch a few really really small fish and hook them through the mouth on a sz 8 or similar under a chubber float or similar and chuck it under a overhanging tree or wherever they are this normally allows you to pick up some big perch.