Using a centrepin

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
Trisantona ,check these out

In the Steps of FWK (Wallis) By John Olliff-CooperPart 1 Part 2

These are for the most ardent walley caster's though ,I've only given a overhead cast a quick go in the past ,might try to master it someday ,I'm yet to improve my underhand cast (great for casting in biat droppers) I know some people see wallis casting as akin to being a jedi knight (I won't say who obi-wan-kenobi is ,or who Yoda is,or for that Matter who Darth vador is ? ) but its just another angling skill thats all

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Okay.....all you pin lovers, both those who know what they are talking about and those who ain't really got a clue but think it's the idea of the moment.

Tell me what your pin does that a FS or CF can't..... easier and better?

Only one i can think of is close (ish)fishing with a float heavyenough (choice inhibited!) to pull the ancient thing into action...then it will help those who are shite at float fishing and don't understand what they are doing by holding back for them and presenting the tackle and bait at some degree of accuracy that they normally wouldn't becapable of achieving.

Much more complex to master the ultimate reel.........thefixed spool!

I still like to use a pin......but don't kid myself!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Parrot cage" swims, for a start - underarm "pulley" casts with fixed-spool reels usually result in the line going round the handle, the slug into the branches, and the chub going "ho, ho, ho", all the way home!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Try the finger on the spool and bow the rod method..........anyway why can't you do an under arm with a FS?....put a float the same weight on a FS and you can do all sorts!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm talking about the type of swim where you can't swing the rod to cast, and have trouble getting to thehook if there isn't a fish on it to bend the rod a bit so's it'll go under the branches!

The problem being that you have to launch the bait by pulling backwards on the line, which always seems to give me tangles with an FS.

Compared with only 80% of mucked-up casts with a pin, that's a 20% edge!

But if I'm honest, I use a pin for the same reason a dog licks his bits - because I can*, and I enjoy it!

*This statement may constitute false advertising. How to I unfill my profile and go anonymous?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Paul, I don't care what my pin(s) can or can't do better! At certain times I just thoroughly enjoy using them (sometimes I use them in situations when I know a FS or CF would be far more "efficient&quot/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

Sod the world, I've even been "piking" with my Okuma Centrepin loaded with 18lb line!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Neil.............thats exactly when i use a pin, when i want to enjoy it.

Alan......only way we will sort that one mate is to meet up, have a beer and then go and see?..........but if i could lick my bits i probably would. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
A pin will out do a fixed spool reel close in stick float fishing on rivers. With fixed spool reels the balearm is open, finger on line strike turn handle fish lost, and dont tell me this has never happened to you. In this case the pin wins everytime, no bale arm no pickup points to close the bale arm, float goes under strike fish on, play the fish, enjoy the pin.

I also use fixed spool reels, but they can not beat the pin for close in stick float fishing.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Ray, this is why i said it is the only thing i will use now on the rivers. Most of my river fishing is done on stick float fishing now, and having small hands i struggled everytime with a fixed spool. I tried the closed face reel and found it easier, however i wasn't doing things right and so lost a lot of fish. As you say with the pin your on the fish straight away and using your finger as the clutch is so much fun! After all isn't fishing all about having fun?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Ray..........of course it has happened, at least half a dozen times in 10yrs!

I said close in work was the only thing i could think of that a pin could possibly beat a FS on.........but i would use a CF anyway in most stick float situations, that way i have more presentation options.............eg i ain't limited to using a heavy set up.

Like i said, i like using a pin......used one for a few seasons, and my early days fishing involved old Nottinghams because my Dad hid the "best" FS reels!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Like Paul I find it hard to believe the claims made for centrepins. I've watched the best anglers out there on the stick, none of whom are on this forum, and mostly they used Mitchell Matches although John Dean did sometimes use a pin as did Wayne Swinscoe.

I think the trap the pin enthusiasts fall into is somehow trying to prove the pin's superiority based on the reel being the sole arbiter of success. It is only one of the factors that affect bait presentation, and bait presentation is itself only one factor in the catching of fish by trotting. Affecting bait presentation we have length of rod, no of rings, choice of float, shotting pattern, wind, current, angler skill, type of bait, choice of hook etc. Affecting the catching we have choice of swim area, feeding and impact of others on our swim from disturbance or their feedingtactics etc. From this it should be seen that provided the reel user can control the amount of line coming off without undue jerkinessthen the angler's overall skills have many more parts to play.

What has changed is that for close in short range trotting it can be shown that in the right hands the pole can annihilate rod and reel anglers.

Where I enjoy using apin is as Neil says for close in stillwater carp fishing with a simple float rig.

The centrepin unbeatable for trotting - NO!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Good post Mark( someone elsewill claim the credit tho/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif).........i have not used a pole for trotting, but can imagine the presentation would be incredible to anyone capableunderstanding the mechanics of it all.....like know the diff between a stick and an avon!

I have a smallish roach river in mind and the thought of teasing a float down on a line tightto a pole is really making me think.........never had a 2 on a pole!

You gonna do a piece?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Paul,

The pole is excellent on the right waters; I've done well on the Stour and Thames with it, sometimes on swims that could not be tackled with rod and reel (weed bed runs at ten metres). The answer is to give it a try where there are plenty of decent roach, a reasonable depth and steady moderate flow. You'll find the delicacy is excellent, and you will see bites that you didn't know exist. Overshotting is possible as well. I've had one 2 on the pole, and more catches of big roach from the same very tricky swim (and a match win with big bream from there too).

As for writing about it, other writing projects are taking my time at present though next year I will do more about the pole. There is a chapter on river pole fishingin the pole book that Graham and I have written though...Due out end Feb/early March 2008.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Paul,

I agree with what you are saying to a point, but each to their own, mine is the pin.

I have no trouble using light floats with a pin, thats why i have more than one.

Like you paul i enjoy my fishing, and it dosent matter what method i choose.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Ray....i don't think you and i would disagree to much about fishing, and you are right each to their own, no prob with that.............but i do have a problem when some plonker who has used a pin once says that it's because an angler may not be able to use a pin that they choose not to use them.

Mark the more i think about the pole and big roach the more i want to try it, i have a couple of tricky swims on that small river in mind, the thoughts of such a tight line the pole would give me are making my mouth water lol.......hope the book is in the local libary!, my cash is goin on a pole! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Paul.... i agree with you when an angler has used a pin only once, that also goes for some other tackle and fishing methods.

Good luck with the pole, i fish one at 6 mtr's now and then on a small river. I lay on tight next to the reed bed, it works.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Def got my mind up and running Ray,.....just got to get used to this metre lark... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I aint a plonker guys i said Maybe that people who don't like them, can't use them?

I'm not claiming i know anything about them, all i know is I ENJOYED USING IT!!!! It was easier for me than any other reel i've tried!