Valuable Angling Books

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Nice list of books from the above threads. I have the entire Chris Yates collection, most I have duplicate copies that I have found in boot sales / charity shops etc. Just last week I bought "Casting at the sun", Hardback 1st edition in VGC for 20p, YES 20p. I laughed my socks off when I got back to the car. This has to be one of my best buys ever and also a very good read.

S

Silver Fish

Off the top of my head I have the following first editions, plus many I can't remember. The top one is the most valuable by far.

Wood Pool, BB
Redmire Pool, Clifford Arbery
Barbel, Barbel Catchers and Friends
Understanding Barbel, Fred Crouch
Deepening Pool, Chris Yates
Fishing For Tench, Fred J Taylor
Rod Hutchinsons Carp Book
Carp Now and Then, Rod Hutchinson
**** Walker a Memoir

All I need now is a bookcase to put em in. They are all stuck in a box under the bed at the moment.

M

mark norris

I have a 1st. edition of Fred Buller`s PIKE which I bought brand new for 6 quid.,about the only advantage I can find for getting old is that todays antiques and collectables were the latest thing when I was a kid.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I'll give you a tenner Mark, plus postage!!

Let the auction commence.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Salmon Fishing - John James Hardy
English Rivers - John Rodgers

Big Water Carp
Carp Sense - J. Gibbinson

Secret Carp
Casting at the Sun
Deepening Pool - C. Yates

A Passion for Angling - Yates,James,Miles

Quest for the Queen - J. Bailey, M. Page

History of Carp Fishing
Redmire Pool - K. Clifford

Carp and the Carp Angler - G. Sharman

Tiger Bay
Fox Pool - R. Maylin

For the Love of Carp - Various

The Great Anglers - J. Bailey

Big Fish Angling - T. Miles

All are for sale at the right price.

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Would love to sell it to you guys but the missus is using it to prop the table up with

lol

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
No takers then???

I know the worth of some of the books but not all.

Apparently the Maylin books change hands for around ?50, as do the Yates which to me seems ridiculous, anyone offering that sort of doe can have them. All the Carp boys seem to think that these books are worth money, but I can't find anyone to pay that sort of money for them!!!!!

Emmmmm!

The 'John James Hardy', Any Offers!!!

D

Dave Rothery

seen a decent "casting at.." for nearly ?100, sold a copy of fox pool ( i had two for some reason) for ?85

phil thomson must wish he'd kept a few copies of "waiting for waddle"....over ?200??? a good read, but really?

T

Tony O'Dell

"It is often stated today that young anglers are not at all interested in reading old books and articles. They take too much "understanding", as English is not taught in the same way it was when I went to school."

Ron, is that your own genuine view, or just one of your many barbed remarked designed to bring about a flurry of responses?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Actually Tony it is my genuine view and the reason I say this is due to what I see and read.

Take the most popular newspapers in this country for example. The Daily Star, The Sun, The Mirror, The Daily Sport etc. etc.

The English written in these rags is atrocious. It is even bad in Angling Times. Full of idiotic puns, inuendos and darned bad grammer.

Don't ask me for examples because you know there are thousands.

Not only that is the general standard of spoken English by the average English teenager who has just left school. You know it is bad, again I don not have to ghive examples, there are just too many of them.

And all this in a country where education is free.

I have been to countries where education is regarded by the people who can get as sacred, as a treasure. I have heard better English spoken and written in the poorer parts of Soweto than on the streets of this country.

It wasn't alway like this Tony, and you know it wasn't.

W

Wolfman Woody

One bit of bad English I hate nowadays is substituting the word "of" for "have". "I would of if it hadn't been...." is an example. Would Bernard Venables ever have had Peter saying soemthing like that?

Mind you he did have 6lb 3ozs chub stuffed, that wouldn't happen now.

I never kept old books, gave them away.

K

Kevan Farmer

Well first of all "hi" to the other Kevan on here :) we true Kevans must stick together lest we be mistaken for the dreaded Kevin ;-))) No offence meant to any Kevins really you know.

I have a number of oldish angling books. I would say that my favourites are my complete set of Angler's Mail Annuals. I love the diversity of the subjects and many by now famous anglers. However, my oldest tome is one titled 'Fine Angling For Coarse Fish', a first edition from the early 1930's. It has chapters by such luminaries as Faddist, the Trent Otter and FWK Wallis. "Wallis"? I hear you say. Yes, that Wallis of the famous centrepin Wallis cast. There are plates in the book of the very man himself demonstrating the magical, or perhaps, infuriating cast.

Somebody also mentioned the Observer's Book of Freshwater Fishes. I have a first edition of that one too, pre-war edition with dust jacket - not mint though. It cost ?2.00 and believe it or not is worth......about a fiver :)

Kevan

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Hi Kevan,

Totally agree with what you have said, I hate being called Kevin, but hate being called Kevaaaan even more, Kev'n is good for me.

Like wise no offence to any Kevin's that frequent this site.

I managed to pick up a couple of nice Peter Stone books this morning at my local boot sale, not worth that much but I am gradually building my collection of his books up, only another 50 to go!!. I also bought a 1982 LAA club membership book, 50p seemed OK to me.

A

Andy Ball

i lost a business a few years ago and my collection of books were sold off , like most other stuff to raise a few quid at the time i was gutted . i was even more gutted a few years later when i found out how much some titles are now fetching on e-bay etc. books that really arn`t that old mid 80s.
favourites were

casting at the sun yatesy
hutchies first carp book
carp strikes back hutchie
tiger bay maylin
redmire pool clifford /arbury
doomsday book mamoth pike / buller
carp now and then / hutchie
modern specimen hunting / gibbinson

they were all read time and again for various reasons somtimes for advice on rigs / baits etc and others you started reading them and you couldnt put em down

David Wilson

Reaction score
Does anyone know roughly how much the first carpworld year book is worth, if anything?

W

William Spencer

have a look for the upcoming article entitled the carp teach in by dave rothery and william spencer.lavishly photographed and printable in just 6 pages.bound to be a classic.watch this site for details