Waggler and Stick Floats.......

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Well I make all my own floats many of which are based on models designed by some of the best float anglers and some from the desire to produce something that works in a given situation.I don't say I can reproduce plastic Drennan floats with all the quick change bits & pieces but with the various loat attachments available I can change floats quite quickly.....
I have floats with isotope inserts for late evening fishing that work okay.....

However,I can well understand that floatmaking (I do have lots of time) is not everyones cup of tea so the tackle shop offers the quick replacement and Drennan seemingly puts effort onto the design/production of his floats that I would use them as well...........

How do I know this?
On a lake I fish the light tackle users tend to be broken by decent carp when fishing for roach etc so over the course of a week when its quiet I can usually find the odd Drennan float drifting about which I then try to use (if broken) the variuos elements to build into my own floats.......and they work a treat!!

At the end of the day it matters not where the float comes from-its set-up thats all important....just choosing the right animal for the job in hand and putting fish on the bank..

As far as loaded floats are concerned;I make these for given situations such as deep swims water in slider mode where I'm casting some way out and I don't want the float running back toward me once in the water.Some are 12" long and with the right shotting disappear from small roach to big tench.
IMO small loaded floats are good in shallow swims with shirtbutton shotting where the floats sits upright immediately on casting and then settles as the shot sinks.....I have taken good fish this way 'on the drop' with floats made up from Drennan odds & ends'floats'.................

I expect new models superseding the present crop will hit the shops any tiime now and I look forward to finding a few!!!

Good luck to all for the new season fast approaching-and good float fishing!!