Weed Control in a Farm Pond

W

Wolfman Woody

Although I agree in principle with Jason regarding removing it, it is one of those plants where you only need to leave one spore or leaf and it will all start again. Ed's suggestion is good, but you might need more than ?95's worth. It's nearly 30metres?, not just 10.

It might be a combination of the three, rake it out, spray what's left, and when it starts again introduce the weevils before it gets a real hold. Like a lot of alien species, there's no one answer and it may take time and little patience to get rid of them.

Speaking of pretty thick clay and things south African, where's Ron these days? - - - - - oops!

J

jason fisher

tenching in the fens, we'll be in for one of his anti tractor driver rants when he gets back no doubt.

S

Steve King

Very many thanks for all the feedback everyone, you have been really helpful!

We'll certainly investigate the weevils idea - I wonder if we remove as much of the weed as we can manually, and then add a ?95 shot of weevils if it will work OK because the weed will be at a lower density??

W

Wolfman Woody

I see Ron is back.

I just want to make it clear that I didn't say "pretty thick clay". It was him ↑ - honest!

S

Steve King

Yes Jeff, I see your point, but the pretty thick clay reference was without a capital letter C.

I think it was you Jeff that made a connection between clay (the substance)and Clay our well known (and respected) contributor to this forum.

I'll leave it to you to apologise to Ron.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nah, nah, Steve. You sewed the seed. You must reep the whirlwind.

S

Steve King

Update.

The first clearance we did of the Azolla filiculoides resulted in the duckweed going crazy. After a few weeks the duckweed had almost eradicated the Azolla filiculoides! The trouble was though that the duckweed covered evrey square inch of the pond.

We then spent a whole day clearing out every last bit of duckweed and Azolla fiiliculoides. My brother and his kids now scoop the pond daily and remove and new patches of weed. For the first time in ages the pond is free from weed!

It's funny how that the Azolla filiculoides quickly rots down in the compost heap, but duckweed seems to remain viable for months!

The last time I was there I saw flash of blue dive into the pond and perch on the Willow Tree. Yes it was a kingfisher! We have yet to see a fish, but maybe the kingfisher was feeding on the newts? (Don't tell Ken Livingstone!)

Windy

Reaction score
Very interesting. Like 94 pages of a mystery novel with 95 pages...... ! How did it turn out ????