What Boilie for winter?

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Sorry jeff, I forgot to explain the "D" rig. If you go to the rigs page on this forum and scroll down to the bottom of the carp column, click on "more rigs" and open the "anti-eject D" page it will show you the mechanics of the D. There are umpteen ways to tie it but they all work the same.

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
Hi all i,ve just got hold of some of sticky bait,s triple,s boosted bloodworm winter bait it,s low oil high amino,i asked on loads of sites to see if any one had used them with no joy so for the last 2 months i,ve been trying them out with realy good responce.I,ve just puy my local lake,s best up from 24lb mirror up to a 30lb common they are a 4mm pellet tree colour and i can,t recomend them enough used them with sweet corn and verious boilies monster crab ,spice prawm & octo and squid im just about to try them with indulgance fride chuck witch ive been trying on and off for the last 6 months with no luck at all.will keep you posted .hooktie

Keith Moors

Reaction score
It's probably the amino that is the key for the winter. Virtually all live foods give off amino acids as their attraction and during the winter the carp find live food easier to digest and being masters of their own environment they can recognise this fact. Even while the lakes have ice over them, and this is taken from my own lake at Moorlands, the likes of cadis fly larvae begin to move around Christmas and gradually increase from now on, providing the ideal snack diet that the carp are looking for at this time of year. For some strange reason the bloodworm pellet works extremely well with CC Moore's live system boilies as well.

Jeff

Reaction score
Keith,
Thanks for the info on D-rigs, I can certainly see the thinking behind the design. I will see about making a few and I'm certainly going to start using Fluro-carbon hook links for all of my fishing this year to see how the results differ from last year.

Iain,
I really like the idea of those bloodworm winter baits. I think they could really score well on those frustrating days when the carp are taring up the bottom all over the swim after naturals while ignoring every bait you put before them...

Keith Moors

Reaction score
If they really are tearing up the bottom give em some maggots to concentrate their minds and then fish the maggot rig. THAT'S AS NATURAL AS YOU CAN GET.

Jeff

Reaction score
Frothey,

I'm with you in many respects that the boilie ain't natural but at the same time I guess the scent will do the attracting and the bait, although not natural, may then be taken out of curiosity...?

Keith,

I wouldn't mind this approach but assume I'll need to put out a fair bit of bait and Maggots don't come cheap as we all know, and I can't warrent spending too much on the old fishing at the mo...

F

Frothey

it depends on whether its a bloodworm boilie, or a bloodworm flavour.....does bloodworm flavour smell of bloodworms to a carp?

maggots dont need baiting, a pva bagfull is enough. i freeze anything i dont use and have a mega session on them once or twice a year!

Jeff

Reaction score
Good call with the flavour thing...

Frozen maggots sounds a damn fine idea as I usually end up with some after a session, are they as effective as lives?

I suppose one BIG advantage I can think of strait away is that they don't wriggle off down into the lake/river bed...

F

Frothey

i prefer lives, but they cant hurt in a spod mix or whatever.

i think them crawling off into the silt is an advantage....

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Take care with frozen maggots. I learned a lessom many years ago when I didn't take the bag of maggots out of the freezer until just before i left to go fishing. Having cast out and fired out several pouches full of frozen maggots I sat and watched in embarrassment as little multi coloured pieces of ice floated away in front of me. Thaw them out before you use them.