What do you reckon this is ?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ide have a much higher lateral line scale count. Roach x bream have a higher lateral line scale count and the anal fin is much more extensive.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Odd_one.jpg

View image in gallery

I caught whilst Barbel Fishing !!

Bob

------------

I should have said, it weighed about 3lbs !!

Bob

Philip

Reaction score
I have not done the scale count but sticking my neck out I would say Ide x Chub

I have caught some very weird "idey" type hybrids in France..fish that look like Roach or Rudd x Ide for example (I posted a photo on this site of one in the past).

I dont know what the experts would say about an Ide x Chub cross but I recon they can can cross with more fish than we think...plus hasnt the Ivel thrown up some ide in the past ?

flightliner

Reaction score
Roach or chub/ide (I think). There are a number if ide in the Trent now-- i,ve had them to a little under three pounds and very recantly a friend of mine had one from the Trent that was over six pounds-- A really nice fish. I will look at any ones I catch this coming winter with a very critical eye.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I make the lateral line count in the region of 45/46, which may be on the low side for an ide x chub - expect 50+ for one of these. That said the pic isn't very clear.

Wheeler states chub as 44-46 and ide as 56-61

B

Berty

I make the lateral line count in the region of 45/46, which may be on the low side for an ide x chub - expect 50+ for one of these. That said the pic isn't very clear.

Mark......you have to be more daring ;)

Philip

Reaction score

Ok just for a bit of fun...I'll stick my neck out again...

Mark...Not sure its as simple as saying that a hybrid has a scale count that should fall some were mid range between the two parents scale counts.
What I mean is that if Chub are 44-46 and Ide are 56-61 then I dont think we can discount it being a chub/Ide hybrid because the scale count does not come around 50-53. Surely that would depend on how much it inherited from each parent. Some people look like there mums others like their dads and some a mix.

To me, based on just the look and gut feeling that fish is a big part Chub...the scale count backs this up at about 45-46 so I recon one of its parents was a Chub and it inherited allot of its features from it, including the scale count.

That means we are looking for the other parent. So what could it be ? ….

Well I dont see Roach or Rudd in that fish....certainly not Rudd thats for sure and I cant see anything that screams Roach. I maybe see Bream but the body I would expect to be deeper and the anal fin does not look right (but its tricky to tell exactly) plus I think Chub x Bream are pretty rare right ? so the odds are against it...

So if we also discount Bream we are looking for something else …

Dace ? ...no I doubt it at 3lb ...so what else is left ? ..

Ide fits the profile.

Right size, looks like an ides tail, they cross with allot of other fish and they have turned up in the ivel system. So I'll stick with my orignal guess of it being an Chub x Ide cross.

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Benny,

you could have been right, i have not got a clue what it is.

Caught from the River Ivel a few years ago.

Plenty of Chub, Dace, Roach and a few Bream in there along with lots of other stuff, that gets dumped in there from the houses.

It was take from three houses down from Mrs. Walkers House ( Ron I thought you would like to know that )

:)

I know the swim well Bob,i would say its highly unlikely to be an ide(and ive had many of them at one time),it might be either a throwback chub(as in the hunchback type),or a roach-chub hybrid.

michael townsend

Reaction score
Looks like a roach - chub hybrid to me.
I've caught a few in the past, but none for a while.

There is a canal close to me that does quite a lot of chub - bream hybrids. I had a few pics of them till my pc caught a virus and I'd not backed them up. The local match anglers used to call them a bub!

wdd1200

Reaction score
I recon it is a Chub pure and simple, I have taken several that have been de-formed from the Ivel, some to a greater extent than that fish.

Out of interest this is a Vinde, which is a species of Ide, caught in Holland from The Ijseel at Zwolle
100_1593-1.jpg

A Vinde is a naturally coloured Orfe, this Dave Currel holding a Golden Orfe.
100_2670.jpg

And here are two pictures of Chub that have deformities from The Ivel,
The first has a strange tail.
100_3048.jpg

And the second is me holding one with a strange head.
100_4155.jpg

If you look at the images you can see your mystery fish has the distinctive Chub scales, this I think is the give away!

wdd1200

Reaction score
Yes it does look a bit strange Bob, and to be fair having seen it in the flesh you probably have a different perception of what it is to the rest of us!

One question, did it smell different from a Chub, I can nearly always tell what fish I have caught (and others too) because they all smell different?

Of all the fish in our rivers and lakes my favourites are the smell of Roach and Grayling and the one I cannot stand is Wells Catfish........Uggggghh!!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Keith,

No I did not smell it !!

I think your on the wrong thead mate :)

I was fishing oppersite Keiths house (before the tree was washed away) and had had 12 Barbel and a shedful of Chub, but this just looked different, so I took a picture !!

Very odd looking fish ?

Bob

wdd1200

Reaction score
12 Barbel, you did well, the most I have ever had is 3 in a day and that was below the cattle drink.

I did have some smaller ones last year in the 5-7 lb class, Currell had a 3lb fish from the first high bank swim below the bridge and I saw a chap have one of about a pound so there seems to be some fish still coming on.

As to your fish I cannot think what it could be, scales look wrong for an Ide, but that said I have never had one that big, most of the ones I catch we use as liv.........sorry DEAD baits for the Pike when I am in Holland (where live baiting is banned):), they never seem to be much bigger than about a pound and a half.

A

alan whittington

U really should keep your nose further from a fish's a*se Keith,lol.;)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
12 Barbel, you did well, the most I have ever had is 3 in a day and that was below the cattle drink.

I did have some smaller ones last year in the 5-7 lb class, Currell had a 3lb fish from the first high bank swim below the bridge and I saw a chap have one of about a pound so there seems to be some fish still coming on.

As to your fish I cannot think what it could be, scales look wrong for an Ide, but that said I have never had one that big, most of the ones I catch we use as liv.........sorry DEAD baits for the Pike when I am in Holland (where live baiting is banned):), they never seem to be much bigger than about a pound and a half.

-----

Keith it was one of those mornings, I was of course using an additive from ASBD on the maggots and by lunchtime I was running out of of them.

My daughter lives just up the road in Henlow, so I asked her to come round and photograph a decent double for me.

She asked me if I was going to stay and catch some more ?

She even offered to go round to Simons to get some more Maggots, but I had had enough and and she helped me back with my fishing tackle to the car ?

I then went to her house for a cuppa, before going back to London.

You can have to much of a good thing sometimes ?

Bob