What is the tastiest fish

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Tilapia Ed?

That's an African freshwater group of fishes which is very tasty indeed.

Mind you, New England Cod is very nice - caught on the Grand Banks.

I've heard of flake John. I have a feeling it's the bronze whaler shark. Some sharks are very good eating including the Sand Shark or Guitar Fish. They are quite rare though.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

They are farming them in the US now Ron ---They originally imported them from South America ...

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Best tasting fish in my honest opinion are kippers

There is nothing better than a nice fresh pair of buttered kippers....When you get hold of them and give them a good sniff!

They should not smell at all fishy...That is a sign that they are going off, also beware of excessive amounts of hair.

I once got a hair....sorry, bone stuck in my throat. It was very distressing indeed!

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Flake is the Bronze Whaler Australia Ron or the Zambesi in South Africa or Bull shark in America all are the same fish and this fish has killed more people than any other shark,thats a fact.
At the end of the day it all depends on how hungry you are

Christer Sjaunja@

Reaction score
Smoked lamprey, fried in butter and cream, is a local speciality in my part of Sweden.And very tasty!

P

paul williams 2

Fish has to be totally fresh to be at it's best..for me it is

Scottish haddock

Dover sole

Kippers

Grayling

Zander

Sea bass

I love fish.....got to try more!

W

Wolfman Woody

Soles.

I had them in one restaurant once and had to say, I've had soles from Dover and soles from Dorset, but these are soles.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I love kippers too Lee, but the horrid packeted dissicated products you buy are none to nice.

Occasionally Morrisons have big Manx kippers which are OK.

What ever did happen to Yarmouth bloaters, which were another form of smoked herring? Absolutely lovely they were.

And I like rollmop herring, but only from a street trader in Rotterdam. I've aslo had gefiltre fish served kosher style in a Jewish household in Joburg. Absolutely superb.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Never had a Yarmouth Bloater but I had a fat lass from Chapeltown show me her Roll mops once....

Not nice at all... they were all mingin!

Nylon wrappers are no good for fish either....Godamm, her wares were stinking! like a beached Dolphin on a warm day in Dorset.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Lee,

You've just put me off my late Sunday Lunch!

P

paul williams 2

You got roll mops then Ron?......take a bic to em, you are to old to choke!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

OK, whilst we are on the subject, the most foul stench I ever experenced was from a couple of dead lampreys I forgot about; they were left over from a zander trip.

And what was left over from a young dead hippo in the Kruger National Park!

Uuuurrrrgggghhhh!!!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way Christer, I have never eaten lampreys, but I hear that they are quite nice.

King Henry I of England was supposed to have died by eating too many of them.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The foulest stench?

Thinking about it - Barney in full cry must come close......... :eek:(

J K

Reaction score
Sorry, but on the subject of smells, we opened a foul manhole downstream from an Abattoir to take some internal measurements. The chap inside the manhole had to wear breathing apparatus, people were coming out of shops and offices up to 100yds away to check out the smell. The two of us on the top stood just upwind, it was evil.

Christer Sjaunja@

Reaction score
Yes Ron they are tasty, but not for everyone. Taste a little bit like eel. After they catch them they put them in ashes to get rid of the slime and then smoke them in special smokers.

S

Steve King

Best fish: either a sea trout in Kerry that was river to pan in 15 mins and was very tasty or a brownie from the Kennet that was so delicious my cat eat every scrap of bone!!