What species haven't you caught for a while?

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Ruffe & Bullheads I haven't seen for years - and bleak are very rare in these Northern parts - thank goodness! Had a number of stickleback a few months back - one could argue they weren't caught legitimately - they just sucked on the end of the worm - one on either end at one stage! - but were landed.

I have made my opinions about the Tru Cru's known a few times - I caught loads of 'crucians' at the tag-end of last season but when reviewing the odd photos of the better ones - the lateral scale counts were all wrong - mostly hybrids & brownfish! Not caught a 'Tru-Cru' since! Still be trying when the weather warms a bit!

Anyone seen any Bitterling?

If you take a wander down the M58 to Aughton, Brookfield Fishery is a lovely little day ticket water with a good head of Ruffe, particularly at the deep end, and apparently some decent Crucian although I've only managed a couple of small ones when I've been.

Personally never had (or fished for) cats or Zander. It's been far too long since I had a proper Chub & I need to add Grayling to my bucket list. Have tried dead baiting for pike on a few occasions, but to no avail, although I did have one grab a small roach that I was reeling in last Sunday :eek:

nicepix

Reaction score
Tench! How could I forget them? Never seen one over here and when I asked the local tackle dealer where I could find some tench he pursed his lips and puffed up his cheeks like a shebunkin. Then he did a controlled exhalation and finally told me about a private lake that was €7 a day to fish. No thank you! Not when I'm surrounded by free fishing.

Then a few weeks ago I went to look at a van and the seller invited me to fish his 2 acre lake lake that held a few up to 3lb. Not really what I'm looking for. But today I passed an 18 hectare public lake not too far from home that holds some tench according to the information board. They were stocked in 1992 so could have grown on a bit since then. That might be my new summer tench venue. :)

And Sam Vimes post about grayling has also reminded me that there are none in my part of the world. Last one I caught was just before coming out here three years ago from the River Don in Sheffield. No easy answer to that except a day at the same venue when I come over in November.

flightliner

Reaction score
The smaller specie, bullhead, ruffe, stickleback , I havent caught since a boy with perhaps the exception of the ruffe where they used to turn up on the Witham way back.
Of the larger fishes I suppose it would be the zander having only caught one back in the late eighties from the middle level one stormy violent night that weighed 6-3.
NP , a friend of mine fished the Don last week just below Thurgoland with the fly tackle and had 7 just on or near the pound mark.
He was wading in chesties and was pretty cold so packed up.I saw him on a local commie heaving out pasty carp later in the afternoon when I had a walk round with the bino's.

bobble

Reaction score
Had my first eel last year a stonking 4lb. Hope its my last..
My mate had a 15lb7oz salmon last week while piking...was green with envy..
Still got it all on film my post it later....
Want a rufge bleak and zander next oh and a catfish