What was it about Hornsea Mere.......

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
keora....Perhaps the hotspot was around the boat moorings where, according to Clifford, the roach fry gathered in vast numbers.....With that amount of food available you'd have thought he pike would reach massive proportions!

'Ray' must have been Ray Webb of tench fame??

miz

Reaction score
keora....Perhaps the hotspot was around the boat moorings where, according to Clifford, the roach fry gathered in vast numbers.....With that amount of food available you'd have thought he pike would reach massive proportions!

The old Hotspot Barry was talking about was at the far end of the fishable bit i think ;) Yes it was Ray Webb he fished with.

Fished there a fair bit myself in the 80s with some success for the Perch and without much for the Pike ! Coldest place i've ever been with a good easterly blowing.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, just looking at it's location just in from the east coast makes me feel cold! Not too much cover I imagine.....far too chilly for a 'southern softie' I'm afraid...

Seems to have become a predator spot in later years from what you and others have said??

ravey

Reaction score
My friend lives within 5 minutes walk from the mere. I can imagine it being very cold with a NE wind blowing. There is a stuffed pike in the tea rooms, which weighed 27-12 if I remember correctly. Can't remember when it was caught, though.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
But who is to say what is in there size wise even now, going out in the boats would, I should imagine,still be restrictive as to areas fishable. A 'lake' as vast as Hornsea Mere will still have a lot of secrets to give up.

miz

Reaction score
Yes, just looking at it's location just in from the east coast makes me feel cold! Not too much cover I imagine.....far too chilly for a 'southern softie' I'm afraid...

Seems to have become a predator spot in later years from what you and others have said??

I emigrated and became a "southern softie" myself in 1984 !!

Believe me in a January easterly the boundry line is no place for anybody no matter how 'ard' they think they are :eek: i don't miss it !

As far as the Roach are concerned i was certainly never aware of numbers of big fish back in the 80s but there may well have been a few groups of decent fish, as has been said its a very big pond to write off completely. I have no idea what goes on there nowadays but i would imagine that the fish stocks must have had a significant and prolonged battering from the Black plague and other fish eating birds ?

flightliner

Reaction score
flightliner......If you would like to see a picture of some of the roach taken around 1920 then The Bailey book mentioned in my initial post shows the 63 roach for 126lbs on page 121. These caught by Messrs Field and Tether in July of that year.

Page 120 shows six roach in a glass case, smallest 2lb 4ozs and the biggest 2lbs 12ozs and although black and white a wonderful picture

Tee Cee-- many thanks for the information, much appreciated. I will try and find a copy and see for myself the pictures you refer too.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree with Merv in that who know what the water contains these days. A vast water probably rich in natural food such as snails etc may well hols very small pockets of very, very big fish...........

We'll never know I guess............although bird/pike predation must be a factor..

Still, several dozen 4/5lb roach must be on the cards??

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Wealthy country, better soccer team, bigger roach......it goes from bad to worse.....

Now, from memory we bought in carp which eventually became record fish (or decendents thereof) so why not roach.......could be an election winner for Cameron!!!

miz

Reaction score
Oi, you might be soft but won't ever be privileged enough to call yourself a Southerner! :p

It was a figure of speach rather than something i aspire to CG :)

i have just noticed this emoticon colin :eek:mg: i reckon i am going to be using it a lot with your posts :D

laguna

Reaction score
This might have some relevance as to their decline in recent years: "The Windermere Perch and Pike Project"
The project was originally started in 1939 in Lake Windermere (Charr, PIKE, Perch - processed and canned in Yorkshire) in order to provide fish in freshwater lakes which might be harvested to enhance the supplies of food in a country subject to blockade. Pike traps and gill-netting were trialled as fishing methods and was extended in most large lakes throughout the Country. Mesh sizes were too small in many cases and bi-catch was common.

Just a thought.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I've fished the Mere a few times, but not in the last 10 years. When I fished it there was a chance of a 20lb pike, but nothing huge. Fishing, except for the short stretch of bank, was from boats.

I suspect the water is slightly saline as it's only about 1/4 mile from the sea and it has a small dyke flowing from it. It was certainly very clear and weedy when I fished it in late autumn. I suspect that eutrophication has played a large part in its decline as it is surrounded by agricultural land.

keora

Reaction score

Yes - the two books he wrote with Barrie Rickards ( Pike and Tench) were very enjoyable, light hearted yet full of useful information.

kevclifford

Reaction score
Just come across this so I'm somewhat belatedly posting a bit of info if anyone is still interested. There are a number of cased fish around of these huge roach from Hornsea, from the period before 1930s. In fact if you go into the Leeds Anglers Club there is a case of huge roach caught by Bazley. I have another case myself of four huge roach from Hornsea. Everyone who has seen these estimate their size to be upper 2's to 3lb. When I was a lad the cafe was full of cased fish - roach, perch, pike. They've all gone now.

I don't believe the roach fishing was consistently easy. Wilf Cutting was a publican from Hull, who moved to Hornsea to be near the Mere so he could fish it more often. He ran a pub in Hornsea that was full of cased fish caught by himself and his wife. But he had loads of roach blanks - he fished most days. Then he'd locate a shoal and he had a bit of a bonanza. He would tell others like Bazley who would come over from Leeds whilst the shoal remained in that area. Cutting mainly fished lobworms and that way he caught perch or roach. Allegedly, the big roach had a liking for worms although Bazley also caught them on maggot - two hooks. Worm on the bottom and a maggot hook mid-water.

The big roach are still there but not in the numbers they once were. Most big waters go through cycles - Tring for example with its big bream. The Mere was producing 2lb roach as early as the 1870s. I suspect that a number of issues have existed in modern times that suppress the numbers of big roach. I know an odd angler who have had 2lb plus roach in recent years (seen photographs) but location is the problem as ever it was, even for folk who live in Hornsea...

Last edited: