What would you do?

LongMan

Reaction score
Narrowmindedness will always surround Pike, sad but true.

I would do as you Ray, no hesitation, a little biodiversity training for those involved wouldn't go amiss.

Scott.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Just a side issue Ray, has the club benefited from a grant/s recently? i.e EA, lottery funding, Grants For All etc.

If so it will have to have an open membership policy.

Main issue, I would report the whole $loody corrupt crew.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
John,

I have reported the club and the committee, they know the pike was removed, are happy about it, and have taken NO action against the angler.

They are quick to point out they go by the EA rules regarding Angling, but are quick to break them when they want.

They seem to think that Pike will eat all of their fish,but don't understand, that at 29lb plus, the water must have plenty of fish in there for it to get that size in the first place, yet still the matches produce large weights.

Banging head and brick wall come to mind, see them shout if some one takes away the pasties they have stocked in another lake for matches,or the 40lb Carp.

John Heelis

Reaction score
Ray, I think that you have done the right thing. Could the EA speak to your friend in confidence?

As for the Commitee and the club. Haven't any of the "waiting" members questioned why they haven't been accepted, yet relatives of said committee have been?

My understanding of pike (which I admit is limited to the back of a postage stamp) is that they are quite an important part of a lakes eco-system, and will normally only feed on damaged, sick and weak fish. Therefore keeping the remaining stock healthy.

Good luck with your action, and keep us up to date with any news.

Rickrod

Reaction score
ray, is the river run by a club if so do they know that unwanted fish are been dumped into there water if not they might back you up

chub angler

Reaction score
Ray I thought having a couple of pike was a good thing because they clear out the sick and injured fish making the lake healthier but I might be wrong.Plus I like pike fishing.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well I have just come off the phone to the EA.

The officer i spoke to was very helpful, but, and it's a big but, there is not much they can do.

Even with a witness, the best the Law as it stands can do, is give a written warning to the club.

The officer will be talking to the committee, I must say, even he was gutted that that is the best the EA can do, it's the law.

Well I did what i thought was best, i know from speaking to other members that something has been said, as the club officers are not that willing to talk about the matter as before. They fish by the EA laws, they should uphold the EA laws.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
As you say ray, you did what you (quite rightly) thought was best, and i applaud you for that. its just a shame more can't be done.

Oh well, at least you tried.

Big Sky

Reaction score
Well tryed Ray can't say i have much faith in the EA at preasant.I not only found some shall we say non UK residents fishing my local river a week ago today but asked them politly to stop and was told to go away in a few new dialects i took photos of them and there car also without british number plates and the EA just gave me the brush off . I tried my local police only to be told it was an EA problem so i compleatly understand how you feel .

luckerly i,m not in a club with them ,so after all this do you stay with your club and try and fix the problem or stick to your princables and find a new club mate ,hard one i,m not shure what i would do.

But good luck and you did the right thing dude./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

BS

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The EA want to be able to do more, but funding and the laws prevents them.

We all say the EA should do this and that, but sadly they have their hands bound by government and red tape, but I am not happy about the outcome, but I don't blame the EA.

Time to move on, new venues await and who knows what rewards they might bring.

Reaction score
You did completely the right thing Ray. It is frustrating to see how hamstrung the EA are by funding. Issues such as illegal fishing, illegal handling and mishandling of fishstocks can never really be challenged without a properly funded and staffed agency. The reality of your conversation is that even if the law was given teeth there would not be the staffing to enforce.<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Time to move on, new venues await and who knows what rewards they might bring.</blockquote>Does this mean you're bidding for the"Day's Fishing with the FM Port and Stilton Club" in the auction?

Poshers