When to touch ledger?

Reaction score
Sean

I got the sawing sensation alot on the Trent at the weekend - I put it down to the vibration in line caused by the flow passing over it - ie at certain tensions and flow the line resonated.

Bully, the quiver tip doesn't cause more resistance, it absorbs some of the 'pulls'.

eg Some times I fish using quivers and alarms - I often see a bite on the tip without it regestering on the alarm beacuse the 'vibration' is abosrbed by the soft tip and not transmitted down the line to the alarm (where my fingers would be if I was touch legering).

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The most exciting touch ledgering I've encountered since I've been fishing for barbel,is with the BIG chunk of freelined pink stuff.
You can feel them fiddling about with it, I assume tring to see how they can fit it in their mouth, moving it around and then....they pick it up, and move off with it. A really great feeling.
BUT
If you strike while they are fiddling, you won't catch them,in fact they will be some way down the river.

It's very difficult sitting on your hands whilst touch ledgering though!:D

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Especially whilst holding my rod!!! :wh

Of course apart from the coarse amongst us,everybody will know I was figuratively speaking..........really!:D

I blame it on Bait Box:p

Last edited:

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I would touch ledger on my local river Ise,it`s a back brook type of place where using a quiver tip really isn`t practical.
Trundalling a big old slug down a swim and touch ledgering/feeling for bites is ideal.

A

alan whittington

I was always taught to point the rod more towards the lead whilst touch legering with an avon tip so that more of the sensation(due to friction on the rings)reached my numb frost bitten sausages,its all down to the technique you use,and there is always a better way.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I still maintain that "you don’t have to point the rod at the end tackle to touch leger. Cutting out all the angles so that the line has minimum friction through the rings, especially the tip ring, is a good thing to do if you are relying totally on feeling the bites. However, many times I touch leger in combination with a quivertip, so that I have some visual indication to go by as well as tactile indication."

Extracted from 'How to Touch Leger'

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
To me, touch legering is more of a mobile river pursuit, when fishing a moving bait or when fishing a static bait in an area where you can expect almost instant bites.
I don't see any reason why it couldn't be used on stillwaters, canals etc. but I tend to find bites are fewer and far between and I'd rather watch something like a float or a quiver from a seated position.

....andy....

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I'd agree with it being more of a river method, but I tend to use it more when I'm experiencing frustrating bites, most often from chub, and I want more information from the bite, and when I want the line in my hand to give me more options in dealing with it.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I still maintain that "you don’t have to point the rod at the end tackle to touch leger.

So do I. In fact, I can't recall ever touch legering with the rod pointed at the end tackle. If the rod rings are large enough (ie: not stand off type rings) there shouldn't be any problem.

A

alan whittington

I did not intimate pointing the rod directly at the lead,just a little more so than if rod tip legering or quiver-tipping.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
The Latest Technology

Sportex Unveil New 'Unbreakable' Rod

3985890963_69916a82ef_b.jpg