Where can I get maize meal from.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Peter Jacobs......thanks for that-very nicely explained!

I hope people take up Woody's offer and put forward some decent stuff for an article....although the young that I know will be using your method-'cos its straight forward!!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Me an Marsbar are busy proofreading and indexing an stuff, an Thursday's our day off so tough maggots!

Add a bit of maize meal, put maggots in fridge - job done.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I'm a bit suprised that no one has mentioned putting them in a bag, gently squeezing all the air out and tying the bag off.

This lack of oxygen forces the grubs to go into stasis, a condition in which they can be held in the refridgerator for weeks.

At the bankside they soon come alive again with a gentle stirring to get air to them again and those not used can be tricked into stasis once more when returning home.

It took my Scots ancestry and the sound advice of Jan Porter to achieve this result... Aye! ... ,not that you'll hear it from any tackle shops, tha noos !

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been wondering why the big lad asked this from the start.
Could it be he is no longer a big lad?
Could he be a slim Jim now and he's wondering what to do with all the maggots infesting his rotting donkey pies?
Come on Deanos...come clean;):D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
...is The Indifferent Crucian a Government Scientist I ask myself.....he seems to know lots of stuff about lots of things......always seems to be a scientific edge to his posts....is he reporting back to higher sources...

..is he a good fisherman or a great fisherman I ask myself-someone must know!!

Like his last post when he brings in complicated words like 'stasis'....the thing is,he does come up with new ideas(or new to me anyway!)so I can only think we have a new **** Walker in the making.....

Shall we see a book eventually....perhaps one exists already??

Fred Bonney...perhaps Deanos asks questions he already knows the answers to,but asks them simply because he thinks they may help others.......I do this fairly often!!

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
As Maize Meal has already been mentioned as a Method for dusting Maggots to help keep them fresh, it got me to wondering.

What actually is the best method of keeping them clean, is it indeed Maize Meal or Saw Dust or is there a better alternative but perhaps not as cheap or not as readily available ??

Is it really just a case of, because the majority of people buy some Maggots, use what they need for the day and then chuck the rest, that it really doesn't matter on the whole for most anglers.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
...is The Indifferent Crucian a Government Scientist I ask myself.....he seems to know lots of stuff about lots of things......always seems to be a scientific edge to his posts....is he reporting back to higher sources...

..is he a good fisherman or a great fisherman I ask myself-someone must know!!

Like his last post when he brings in complicated words like 'stasis'....the thing is,he does come up with new ideas(or new to me anyway!)so I can only think we have a new **** Walker in the making.....

Shall we see a book eventually....perhaps one exists already??

Fred Bonney...perhaps Deanos asks questions he already knows the answers to,but asks them simply because he thinks they may help others.......I do this fairly often!!

Strewth, I've just found this Tee Cee.
I'm the worst fisherman I know, and I only used 'stasis' because I can't spell 'comatose'. ( it really does work, though).
Nor do I have any scientific training, but I just look desperately anywhere that might help me up my catch rate.
If I ever did invent some new technique, it would be because I forgot how to do it properly.
I'm so bad I have to carry a card around with me to remind me how to tie knots...honest!

If it wasn't for sites like this my fishing would still consist of decorating the bankside foliage of the Grand Union Canal with small Rapala lures, leaving a somewhat festive air to any swim I have ventured near and me back off to the tackle shop grumbling at the price of angling today!

:)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
....you can't fool me Crucian........................besides,nobody else has confirmed how bad you are,which,for this site,is a racing certainty-someone is bound to slag you off!!

Anyway,regardless,I enjoy your offerings -and as I've said they always have something to say worth reading which is more than I can say about many others.....(that should raise a few hackles!!)

Deanos

Reaction score
I would like to assure you that any angling question I have asked on the forum has been based on the fact....I do not know the answer guys.

I am a rubbish angler who would like to get better, hence my questions may seem somewhat simple at times.

The great thing is that there are plenty of experienced anglers on the forum who have been brilliant with the advice they have freely given me.

I shall contiue to chip away at my challenge to improve my skills and knowledge.

cheers all.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

PS. Fred ;-) Hows it going you old misery guts! :).

Deanos

Reaction score
Hi Woody,

I shall sort Fred out soon in baitbox, be afraid ... BE VERY AFRAID! :))))))))

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I saw a kilo of maize meal in the Asian section of Tesco this morning for £1.80, that would last me at least a season.

For cleaning and keeping maggot (and pinkies) in tip top condition, I put them in the fridge as soon as I get home to chill them down, this not only stops them sweating but it also stops them moving around whilst they're being cleaned.

Riddle them off after a couple of hours to get rid of all the dead ones as well as any other unwanted bits, feathers, bone and sawdust etc, then dust and rub them down in a small amount of clean maize meal. Really get your hands in there to get their skin clean, I do this in a cat litter tray as it gives plenty of room to spread them out and make sure all are cleaned properly. It's also easier to see the skins etc that fall through the riddle.

Riddle them off again and put them into the large clean shallow container without the lid and chill them for another couple of hours, I find if you don't then even thought they are clean when they go back in the fridge to cool down, when you go to use them too many have died as the remaining sweat and condensation causes the maize to clog their breathing tubes and others are left with little cement like lumps stuck to them.

Then put a ½ pint at a time into food bags, remove as much air as you can (I suck the air out before twisting the bag) and tie them off, don't leave any maize meal in the bags as this will trap warm air in the bag and cause condensation which will have the same effect as the sweat.

I can leave them like this in the fridge for two weeks and still have good conditioned bait. Check for deads every other day and reclean the night before or on the day you want to use them. Remember to give them a handful of maize (I've started to use coriander) before leaving so they stay clean for the day.

Also keep the bags in a coolbag on the bank, only take out as much as you need for a short period at a time rather than just sticking a pint out at a time.

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
when I was taking gallons to france I used sawdust but took maize flour from Jollyes for once I was using them

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Right - write!

All of you maggotmania people - I want 300-500 words on your tips on how to keep maggots and I'll put them all into a nartikle for the site that can be referenced by EVERYONE!

So, Mr Jacobs, Mr Frothey, Mr Cakey, Mr Winkle, Mr Mursdimm, and anyone else. Deadline - Friday 16th (so I can get all the best tips for Clattercote then publish it on Monday after I've won. )

Thanks everyone, total submissions - 0 (that's nil, zero, zilch, nada, nowt, begger all) :confused: :eek: :mad: :(

And needless to say, I blanked at Clattercote.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Right - write!

All of you maggotmania people - I want 300-500 words on your tips on how to keep maggots and I'll put them all into a nartikle for the site that can be referenced by EVERYONE!

So, Mr Jacobs, Mr Frothey, Mr Cakey, Mr Winkle, Mr Mursdimm, and anyone else. Deadline - Friday 16th (so I can get all the best tips for Clattercote then publish it on Monday after I've won. :D)

Thanks everyone, total submissions - 0 (that's nil, zero, zilch, nada, nowt, begger all) :confused: :eek: :mad: :(

And needless to say, I blanked at Clattercote.
You couldn't even be bothered to name us all individually Jeff, watd'ya expect?

I saw a kilo of maize meal in the Asian section of Tesco this morning for £1.80, that would last me at least a season.

For cleaning and keeping maggot (and pinkies) in tip top condition, I put them in the fridge as soon as I get home to chill them down, this not only stops them sweating but it also stops them moving around whilst they're being cleaned.

Riddle them off after a couple of hours to get rid of all the dead ones as well as any other unwanted bits, feathers, bone and sawdust etc, then dust and rub them down in a small amount of clean maize meal. Really get your hands in there to get their skin clean, I do this in a cat litter tray as it gives plenty of room to spread them out and make sure all are cleaned properly. It's also easier to see the skins etc that fall through the riddle.

Riddle them off again and put them into the large clean shallow container without the lid and chill them for another couple of hours, I find if you don't then even thought they are clean when they go back in the fridge to cool down, when you go to use them too many have died as the remaining sweat and condensation causes the maize to clog their breathing tubes and others are left with little cement like lumps stuck to them.

Then put a ½ pint at a time into food bags, remove as much air as you can (I suck the air out before twisting the bag) and tie them off, don't leave any maize meal in the bags as this will trap warm air in the bag and cause condensation which will have the same effect as the sweat.

I can leave them like this in the fridge for two weeks and still have good conditioned bait. Check for deads every other day and reclean the night before or on the day you want to use them. Remember to give them a handful of maize (I've started to use coriander) before leaving so they stay clean for the day.

Also keep the bags in a coolbag on the bank, only take out as much as you need for a short period at a time rather than just sticking a pint out at a time.

This wasn't enough? (396 words) :D I didn't post till the 17th though........... Sorry.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, total submissions - 0 (that's nil, zero, zilch, nada, nowt, begger all) And needless to say, I blanked at Clattercote.

Sorry about that Jeff, I had the words written but was hoping to take some pictures to go with them over the weekend. However, thanks to some volcanic ash I never made it home. I'll ty to sort it out next weekend though.

As to 'blanking' at Clattercote - - - - well, I did tell you about those useless Red and White maggots, didn't I?

You really should have got the Bronze . . . . . . . .