Where does the hideous term

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How about when match anglers are having a poor day?
Scratching for bits.
It doesn't bother me any way.

F

Frothey

thats ok Jeff, just thought the "monkey" thing was getting to you. in that case, rik should be tripitaka.....who's pigsy?

W

Wolfman Woody

No, no. Big Rik - big respect!!!! You'll hear about it soon, I hope.

Who's "Pigsy" - possible contender Wol, but have yet to meet him to see if the rumours are true. :eek:)

Matt Brown

Reaction score
It's just a change in the language. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

I'm 34 and detest teenagers using words like 'init'. Being upset by these things is how you know you getting old. It happens to us all.

In 30 years there'll be anglers chatting on FishingMagic about how no-one uses old phrases such as 'bagging up'!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

And the bait firm called...

Ton Up Baits

W

Wolfman Woody

As a matter of fact....

When it comes to language evolving, did you know that when the King James 1st Bible came out, the English used in it (that should be "init", init Matt?) was already almost 100 years out of date. They left it like that, however, as even then, they felt that the terms used would carry more weight with the congregations.

Even Shakespeare (if he ever did write it) was out of date by then, hence his works weren't popularised again until late Georgian times. Now eveyone seems to fink he spokes perfick England, like wot I kan.

Joskin

Reaction score
Well I've just been to a commercial today and "battered um"

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Fly fishing is generally termed "fluff flinging" by those who don't know how to do it.

J

jason fisher

you've obviously never seen me casting(flinging) flies, fluff.

J

jason fisher

belive me,i can trun the most exquisite confection of fur and feather,into some thing looking like a bit of fluff that's been savaged by a rabid stoat,in about 30 seconds of flinging it about on the end of a line.

M

MaNick

"sacking up?"... a southern term?..

NA!..to sack up means to shag someone!..

RON!!!!... i cant see why you find the term so offensive?, i dont use it myself, for obvious reasons, but when i do, i just think someones "filled their sack!"

;-)

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Graham ... very funny!

Brian Bennett said before the match that 1st, 2nd & 3rd would come from pegs 75 to 78 on the Ferry after the mid-week match results. Colleen drew out peg 75 for me and I was told to "fish a tidy bream match and win it."

After three hours Max Winters came along and said "right peg John but three days too late, the colour has dropped out."

Eight anglers below the Ferry never sighted a 'liner' never mind snare a slab ... still, I battered Steve Ringer off the next peg. He'd better stick to commercial carpet bagging!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Did you read that Ron, "battered" Steve Ringer off the next peg, and that from a journalist too.

Still not a mention of the weight I notice! Could we be talking ounces here do you think?