Which landing net handle

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
I can't help thinking the bigger yer landing net the bigger yer cock rules here. Apart from carp that can be seriously big do you really need to wander about the bank with something you could put yer average fridge in ? Its the same with handles really. Anything over six foot is showing off or for the disabled.

Six foot is nowhere near long enough for certain swims that I fish...high, steep banks, low river level etc. I could slide down and net fish but there's still 8-10ft of water under my rod tip.

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
:D
Steve....we could always us a 21" net on a bank stick.....:D

I use a rope on the Teme but I don't fancy having to start wearing a dry suit!!!! :)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Never quite understood why barbel anglers need a net handle more akin to an acrow capable of holding up a ten bedroom mansion.

Some of those being used and put forward are far far heavier than those used in carp fishing where the fish are far bigger.

IF used correctly a match handle will cope easily whilst if used incorrectly 99% of handles give up at the block.

iceman22

Reaction score
The Drennan is perfect for my fishing and needs to be strong because of fast flows and a powerful fish in it

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
lol....... I use a dog spike most of the time........ one day it will pull out!!!

Think about the inherent dangers of river fishing too much and we wouldn't leave the house mate.

Would it be the best way to go doing something you love...or too horrible a demise to think about...???

sam vimes

Reaction score
I left mine in a South facing bedroom for a month and I think it made the carbon brittle.
Anyone using an aluminium one, they'd recommend ?

Why would leaving a carbon landing net handle in a south facing room make the carbon brittle?

Is anyone going to explain this carbon going brittle in a south facing room thing?
When they cure the stuff using heat and high pressure, it seems highly unlikely that warmth and direct sunlight could do any harm at all. Should we all be avoiding going fishing on bright sunny days, or is this just nonesense?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is anyone going to explain this carbon going brittle in a south facing room thing?
When they cure the stuff using heat and high pressure, it seems highly unlikely that warmth and direct sunlight could do any harm at all. Should we all be avoiding going fishing on bright sunny days, or is this just nonesense?

Sam,
I have a Diawa 6ft Spezi (that's the model) carbon handle and it has been stood in my bedroom (south facing) for about 5 years and it is still like new (bought it on a whim, as you do) Don't understand how it would go brittle!

Mark

longshaw

Reaction score
What I can't understand on WLNH threads such as this is how you put a barbel back in the water from a swim which can't be reached with a normal fixed length handle of about 5ft such as the one I've had for 30 years?

barbelboi

Reaction score
What I can't understand on WLNH threads such as this is how you put a barbel back in the water from a swim which can't be reached with a normal fixed length handle of about 5ft such as the one I've had for 30 years?

The same way you took it out:confused:
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score

Lord knows. I don't fish such swims if I can help it. My main reasons for having a longer net handle is to get beyond really shallow water or because I often use 15' rods.

iceman22

Reaction score

not fished such a swim but would hope that having a swim near by with easier access to water would be the answer if not then you shouldnt fish that high up