which net

lilypad

Reaction score
The NG is too expensive for a non tackle tart.
Handle and arms great, but net too open.Leads go through.

W

Wolfman Woody

Robert,

Yes I do like the Nash Hooligun now. Bit afraid at first as you have to put quite a bit of pressure on the arm to get them into the bracket. Very slender handle.

Sorry Lilypad, I didn't see what you meant by "fabric covered lagging". I just mean the grey expanded foam, but I don't need it anyway nor do I like it as it restricts you dipping the landing net deep in the water.

R

Robert Woods 1

Woody,
Thanks for that. I might look elsewhere as I will need to build myself up to put one up...LOL

lilypad

Reaction score
Woody. I haven't got one either, for that same reason. You have to be some plonker to drop your net in the water.

W

Wolfman Woody

"You have to be some plonker to drop your net in the water"

No you don't.

You just have to be a plonker that fishes on the flightpath, half a mile from the runway at Heathrow.

When jets are landing they leave vortices (or vortexes, whichever you prefer) and they come teararsing along the bank like mini-tornados. Anything in there path gets picked up a thrown elsewhere.

THAT is how my net ended up 20 yards away in the water, along with the unhooking mat. The chair ended up in a tree and the holdall got completely turned over (lucky that didn't go in as well) onto the rod pod.

So maybe I'm not such plonker after all, eh?

K

Keith Finn

Now that I would have liked to have seen!!!
I can just imagine your face when everything started to take off LOL
Keith

W

Wolfman Woody

Not quite as bad as the chap opposite who'd just taken his bivvy apart.

These mini-tornados cross the water and turn into water spouts, collecting as much as 2-5 gallons of water. The lake physically drains and they look like a motor boat ploughing across.

This one came out of the water and caught him, dropped all of its water on him, threw him to the ground with the dismantled bivvy on top - soaking.

He wasn't best pleased either and judging by the language he wasn't a good Christian that day.

R

Robert Woods 1

I've had a look at the new Berkely net. Seems a bargain for ?55.

K

Keith Finn

Lilypad,
If you don't like the net you can just change for one you do like.:)
And it will still be a very light, strong and balanced landing net. :D
Keith

K

Keith Finn

Woody,
Does that happen all the time on the lake you fish???
Keith

W

Wolfman Woody

Only when the wind is in the east and not all the time, but also blowing at one particular speed. When the wind is from the east is when the planes land from our direction for maximum lift, otherwise they take off above us and are too high to cause any problems. Some you could hit with a 3oz bomb (oops shouldn't say that) and a decent cast, they're only 300 feet up.

It's all manner of circumstances. A lot of the time you hear the vortexes in the trees knocking the branches about. They also seem to carry the sound of the jets with them even though the plane itself landed 2-3 minutes ago.

Small jets aren't a problem, but this was a big Malaysian 747 and worst of all are the DC10s for some reason, probably wing design. Ain't half scary at night when one comes howling up the back of your bivvy.

Golden

Reaction score
Intertype water at Colnbrook by any chance? Seen it there myself .... very entertaining !

Golden

Reaction score
As for an answer to the original question, the best net I've used is the Chris Brown Carbon. Strong, excellent quality and good customer service. Price is good too. Can't ask for much more.

B

Big Rik

I've got the original Hutchy Springlock, later it was produced by Relum, Badger copied it and now I think Wychwood do one.

Land carp, unspring net with easy push button, roll net, weigh using incorporated handles.

Fantastic.

Wychwood

Hutchy

wychwood ?50, Hutchy ?100 ......

Golden

Reaction score
Good point Big Rik, saves all that messing about trying to get the net off the handle, especially when the arms are heavily sprung.
I tend to keep the weigh sling on top of the unhooking mat and then place net and fish all together into weigh sling. Saves handling the fish too much (also makes all the fish look really heavy to the nosey ones on the bank !!) ;-)