Who Are The Best

John Jones

Reaction score
Gary you are right, angling is all about enjoyment, it matters not a jot to me who catches the most or the biggest fish.

There's another kind of angler that in my opinion is the best. He (or she) who takes the time to help youngsters.

Half an hour helping them and passing on knowledge gained over the years also secures the future of our wonderful sport.

G

Gary Knowles 2

It's like anything else that we are asked to measure, whether it be buisness or pleasure it's pointless making a 'measurement' unless we know what the measurement criterea is..

For example, if the best angler is to be judged on how many big fish he catches then it will be someone living in the Oxford area who doesn't work and fishes 7 days a week. Simple.

If he's judged on big fish v rod hours then it's probably still someone in the same area but an angler with greater technical knowledge and watercraft.

If the main criterea is foresight and innovation then it would in all probability be Mr Walker.

If judged on the same as the above with a geographical consideration placed within the measurement scale then it would be an angler with similar attributes to those above but could feasibly live anywhere in the country.

If the criterea is honours won, then it's someone like Bob Nudd or Alan Scotthorn.

If it's judged on what he puts back in the sport then it will in all probability be a very 'average' angler who spends his weekends taking kids, or people with special needs fishing.

If it's judged purely on how much enjoyment you get out of it then it's probably the bloke Bob spoke to on his rounds.

And so on, ans so forth.

Personally I don't belive there can ever be a 'best' as we all have our own idea of what makes someone 'the best'.

For what it's worth my personal viewpoint is the 'best' anglers are those who can consistently catch above average specimens of all species, from river, lake or sea, whilst having a healthy and balanced life outside fishing AND still love every minute of it.

B

Bob Hornegold 3

Gary,

Have to agree with your last sentence-- as you as it depends on the criterea.

Bob

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
**** Walker without any shadow of doubt in my mind.

**** was always very free not only with advice and help, but very often with tackle too.

Pete Stone would be my second choice for very much the same reasons

I cannot begin to list the amount I learned from them both but **** must come first for the tremendous impact he had, and still has, on Angling.

honslow

Reaction score
Walker... almost

Chris Yates wins. Technically questionable. Spiritually in Nirvana.

Where's the next book?

And for anyone who hasn't read it, get someone to buy you The Waterlog Years (Medlar) for Christmas. Puregenius!

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

I have to agree with everythng Gary said on this one: - it's pointless making a 'measurement' unless we know what the measurement criterea is..

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
Greg

I can see where you are coming from with Chris Yates, every book of his that I have read has been a delight and I have to ensure that they are read slowly, over a period and savoured like a good single malt.

I think that if you put the question to Chris Yates you would get the immediate response that **** Walker was the greatest angler of all time

I feel priveleged to have lived through and benefited from his greatest years.

ps. my computer is not in a time warp, only me. I am only just catching up with these things at 68 years of age.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
For what its worth and as my fishing life has been vastly competition orientated my vote would be with the all round matchman of yesteryear for the greatest all round knowledge and skill.

I would base my vote on who I would love to fish with and therefore accept and respect others choices using the same criteria.

For methe likes of BennyAshursts,Billy Lane, Fred Foster,Ivan Marks were the best there has ever been and just in my opinion I dont believe very many of your modern day puddle orientated superstar matchmen could live with them had they to fish the same pre-puddle lakes,rivers,fens,drains and canals as the old fellers did.

Its thanks to those lads I truly believe I was brought up in thehalycon days of fishing.

To me and again just in my opinion its a far different world and sport now. Its changed radically andnot at allfor the better.

Specihunter

Reaction score
i have 3 joe taylor, merv wilkinson and paddy paradine for many reasons and i'm not talking aboutjust thereangling ability either.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
To describe anyone as 'the best' is purely subjective and largely meaningless, because itsuggests different things to different people.

Everyone has their favourite for whatever reason and that means they are the best in their eyes but then three others will put forward entirely different names, each with a justifably strong reason from diferent era's perhaps.

All I would say is that those with an all round ability to catch fish by a variety of methods from all sorts of venues and in all manner of conditions deserve the respect of their peers. Some people, and I am not one of them, simply have a nose for fish, and may even think like one which is what seperates them from us mere mortals.

For the rest of us we just have to learn how to enjoy whether we catch or not and for that reason the man that catches all the big fish is no more likely to get a place at God's table than me.

For some it's all about the kudos and egotism.Have you ever met a modest specimen hunter that didn't brag about all the record fish he has caught the minute conversation started?

DZ

Reaction score
OldManOfTheSea_350.jpg

HEMINGWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
I really am doing well as a thread Killer... Neil Maidment has nothing on me!!!