why pike?

akacrush

Reaction score
May be it's because as kids we all "knew" somewhere that had a monster pike that at duck and even one a small dog

Agreed. I recall a book called Pike! that was written as the British version of jaws - a Windermere monster so big it was eating people!!

Personally, my reason to catch pike is for the thrill of the fight - watching the float suddenly pop or scud, then the line starts to strip out and you strike. Holding on as it kites around trying to shake you free, even leaping from the water...

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There were 2 places near me when I was a kids that held such monsters - one I'm sure might have even held a pike or two:D

Same here M'lud, when I was a young 'un the stories of monster pike in Langold, Worsborough Res, and Hartill plagued my dreams, and turned me into what I am today, a ''pike nut''.
Looking back, it doesn't matter whether those monsters existed or not, the stories inspired me. And for that i'll be eternally gratefull.

bigsean

Reaction score
the tales and myths of pike were all i knew for a long time, my 1st sight of a pike was when i was 12 or 13, and float fishing for bits, 2 guys near us had wot i thought at the time was a ton of gear and were fishing for pike ... after a couple of hours one of them struck into a fish and they both started shouting advice to each other as they played the monster ... it was the biggest fish i'd ever seen, after a few back slaps with each other and unhooking it, the man who caught it saw me looking and held it up so i could see properly and with a laugh shouted 'this is wots eatin all ur roach young fella' he returned the fish and then i saw blood covering his hand, he'd been bitten and i thought if that big man could get bitten then the tales must be true .... i stayed as far away from pike as possible after that for many years...
now of course i know better and am only slightly less gullible :) but that aura of the pike being the monster from the depths and the biggest (as it was back then) and baddest fish in our waters ... as well as the sheer beauty of them, is why it has to be pike!!