Why Rivers not Lakes?

M

madpiker

no close season on south west rivers?as far as i know,all rivers in the south west have a close season.i believe that all year round fishing makes the fishing harder,two prime examples are the grand western canal in devon and cheddar reservoir in somerset.both used to be excellent tench waters,since the close season has been dropped the fishing has become a lot less productive .personally,i would like to see the close season reintroduced on all waters.after all,there are plenty more things to be doing for a few months.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
No Baz I don't mean "pretend it isn't there". Thats a ridiculous thing to say. I meant every word I said, most anglers never see fish spawning on a river.

Steve I once stood behind a guy fishing the 'Big 'un' at Quatford (Severn)and he had so many chub in front of him you almost could have walked across them, there were literally hundreds of them. How many did he catch? Not a single one, and believe me he tried everything in the book to tempt them. When their minds are on other things they just aren't interested in feeding.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"You know why a lot of people want an open season on rivers Steve? Flaming barbel that's why"

Baz, you must have a very limited knowledge of river anglers if you think thats a correct statement.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I don't see the problem, if the close season gets abolished the anglers that wanted to keep it can still stay at home for three months.

I agree that if fish are spawning they won't feed so you can't catch them !!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That was a flippant remark by me Graham, and I appologise, it came over quite badly.

I beiieve it is the people who want the close season 'abolished' that are looking at things through rose tinted spectacles.
In a perfect world I would agree on an open season, but we are far from perfect.
Let me ask any of the carp lads on this forum, are you happy with the way the carp scene has gone over the past ten years or more?
You are the decent type who care about the carp and environment, but you must admit, that a certain bad element has crept into the carp game. The catch all at any cost brigade. The Circus, you know the ones I am talking about. These eare the ones that are now creeping onto the rivers with their bad carp tactics and all kinds of tricks and stunts that they pull. We don't want them on the rivers as all they want is bigger bigger, bigger, and stuff anybody else.

The rivers are our last natural places to fish, and no self respecting river angler wants that ruining, nor do we want to see selfish, couldn't care less, self opinionated, idiots, who only take from what river fishing gives but put nothing back. It is only since the advent of big barbel that the greedy, arrogant, and ignorant pig brigade are now trying to force their ways onto the river scene.
I can only speak of the rivers in my area from what I have seen myself. Further more I will be looking at ways to keep the rivers as they should be kept.

Finally, I am under no illusion whatsoever that the inevatable will happen, call it natural progression if you like, but I will do my damndest to slow it up as much as I possibly can. By what ever means I find availiable.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is a correct statement Graham on why people want an open season in 'my area'.
By the sound of things you are very fortunate that you do not have to watch the slow destruction of a river that you love. And I do sincerely hope you will never have to.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Graham, so why did the guy fishing "The big Un" carry on, if he knew they were spawning? He should have left them in peace, to get on with it, or did he spot a P.B full of spawn?

The close season still remains on rivers in the South West! I live there.

Also, what signal am I sending out by wanting to protect fish?

J

jason fisher

well the ignorant are at it again, the closed season was brought in to stop people removing fish for the pot while they are spawning.

people don't remove fish for the pot any more therefore it now has no reason to exist, end of argument.

it doesn't matter how much crap is talked by the traditionalist you have lost the argument.

baz you fish still waters during the "closed" season so you have no right to defend one on rivers.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I do have the right to defend a close season on rivers Jason. It has nothing to do with the traditionalists way of fishing, that is why I say it is the likes of you who are looking at the issue through rose tinted spectacles.
If you read my most recent posting prior to this one,you will see why.
It is my thought that the river close season will be ended by those who SHOUT the loudest and for no other reason.
When it does come about, I hope all you that have been SHOUTING for it, are very pleased with yourselves in the premature downfall of the last decent fishing places on earth.
Nobody so far has given a reason why they want the close season abolished apart from the fact that they want to fish them more often, how selfish and bloody minded can that be?

J

jason fisher

Nobody so far has given a reason why they want the close season abolished apart from the fact that they want to fish them more often, how selfish and bloody minded can that be?

can some one give a reason why the closed season should be kept, other than to goive the birds, grass a rest or it's traditional which have all been proven to be a load of crap and have sod all to do with fishing.

show me a convincing reason to keep it, it protects fish from being removed for the pot while they are in spawn, this is a convincing reason for having one. i would support this whole heartedly it is after all the ONLY REASON THAT A CLOSED SEASON WAS INTRODUCED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

so all you lot who think we should keep it have no grounds, the reason it was introduced no longer exists. so it should be repealed.
if you then want to lobby for a closed season on the grounds that you don't want people to disturb the birds or walk on the grass then you are perfectly within your rights to do so but you must then ensure that these rules apply to everyone who walks on the banks and disturbs the birds.
fish in lakes do not suffer from being caught in the river closed season so fish in rivers would not suffer from being caught in the river closed season. the fish in ireland do not die because they are caught in the middle of may from irish rivers.

your arguments are when it comes down to it sentimental rubbish and a longing for the 1950's.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You have not answered a word of what my reasons were Jason, which goes to prove that you and many like you are blinkered and stuck in the 1950's which you write about.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
No close season on the River Don apparently. At least not for the guy who was sat in full view of the North Brige rush hour traffic tonight...

J

jason fisher

you haven't given a reason to keep the closed season yet baz.

if you want me to debate some thing then you must give a valid reason for it's continuation, the problem being you cant.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jason.
Open your eyes and read what I have said properly, all you are doing is paraphrasing what has been said by others over the past couple of years, Times have moved on my son.
I give you reasons of plenty, just read them.

And did you do anything about it Bob?
Rush hour traffic or not, surely you could have made the gesture of a phone call.

J

jason fisher

baz i've read all your posts on this thread and not one of them comes down to anything other than the reasons i stated,

you don't like the methods people use, hard lines.

you want to look after the river. this is not the reason the closed season is there for, it's there to stop fish being removed to be eaten while spawning.
laws are introduced for a reason, you cannot change the reason without introducing a new law, no bills have been passed to ammend the reasons for the closed season, but it is being defended on a completely different set of criteria to those which it was introduced under.
if you want another law to deal with the criteria which you argue for then you this must be debated.

In reality what has happened is the law has been perverted from it's original intent, and an effective change has been sneaked in through the back door without any official debate.
i'm not so sure that you would condone the recent anti terror laws to apply to people who were in suspicion of being from warrington without a proper debate in the correct place, yet you do appear to support changing the reason for imposition of a closed season without this same debate.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No Jason, I don't want to change anything. I want to keep the closed season as it is.
That is the law we have at the momnent, if it aint broke don't fix it.
It is only in self greed and ignorance that people want it changeing.
Ignorance in the fact that once the close season is abolished then that is another nail in the coffin of angling.
I will defy anybody to tell me that the way things have gone on stillwaters, that it will not go the same way on rivers.
My aim, and I think the aim of many others is to hold it back for as long as possible.

W

Wolfman Woody

"The rivers are our last natural places to fish, and no self respecting river angler wants that ruining, nor do we want to see selfish, couldn't care less, self opinionated, idiots, who only take from what river fishing gives but put nothing back. It is only since the advent of big barbel that the greedy, arrogant, and ignorant pig brigade are now trying to force their ways onto the river scene."

A lot of derogatory remarks in that statement Baz. Where does it put me? I want it abolishing since it was (as Jason says) brought in because anglers killed all or most of their fish at the time. The timing set where of convenience and to appease both London and Sheffield anglers and have nothing to do with actual breeding periods. Without a close season, I would close the river at a more appropriate time to suit my river, not yours!

As for these greedy people who simply want to catch bigger fish, well I've told the story before about a well-known angler who supports the close season on rivers. In a article he speaks of how he was catching tench he sould see SPAWNING on a lake just after the season had started. Now when it comes to selfish and bloody minded assholes, there's nothing worse than a HYPOCRITICAL selfish bloody-minded asshole.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry - that well known angler, I should have said, supports the close season - full stop. On lakes and rivers!

W

Wolfman Woody

Then there's the other very well known angler who supports a total close season, but slips over to Ireland and fishes there during the close season.

Hypocrits? Plenty of them in the close season camp.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jason, what do you care? Tell the truth, if there was no close season , there would be less "OIKS" on your lake. True or not?