Why ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I have fished for Barbel for over 55 years, mostly on the Lea, but also on a good number of other rivers around Britain.

So why is it, that Barbel fishing seems to have attracted some very disagreable people within it's ranks.

The Back Biting and snide comments are awash on the Barbel sites, even here, which I find really sad ?

There is No Right or Wrong way to catch Barbel, although it would seem many Barbel Anglers think there is only Their Way, which I find really sad.

The only right way is to treat your Barbel with respect and use all the Modern Care practices that started in Carp Fishing, unhooking mats, safe handling, time to recover before release etc etc.

And it does not end there, I was threatened on the Banks of a river a few years ago, because I dared to publise the River I caught a big Barbel from !!

I know it has happened in Carp Fishing, but is it really acceptable in Barbel Fishing, I think not.

Your thoughts.

Bob

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Bob,

You make a valid point although I would suggest it is only a tiny minority who are "disagreeable" and who can define what that actually means?

Over the past twenty five years I've come across a few in the barbel world who I would attach that word to but that is based on my experience, no one elses, well perhaps some others as well.

That does not make me right and them wrong or vice versa.

There may well be a few out there who are just disagreeable, full stop! But that happens in all walks of life.

Jealousy and low self esteem is a major factor in my opinion, that manifests itself in so many different ways, it can often be the driver in lets say the more aggresive forum posters.

The bottom line is that the great majority are decent people who you would happily spend time with, there will always be a few people you don't get on with, and enjoy barbel fishing for what it is...........great fun.

Obnoxious behaviour is unwelcome anywhere, carp fishing , barbel fishing, any fishing you care to choose, I ignore those who fit that bill for me and I can't say it causes me any lost sleep.

Off fishing now for three days and I'm rarin' to go!

cg74

Reaction score
Good call Bob, not that I really have any answers but someone else might??

Personally, I don't give a toss if others disagree with my methods, conduct etc, such as I only tend to carry/use an unhooking mat about half the time I am actively fishing for barbel.
-Like on the Windrush I can't recall ever taking an unhooking mat, no need the adjacent fields are lush grass....
-This season is my first time I've ever done long sessions for barbel (upto 96hrs), and seeing as I was breaking NO fishery rules, or affecting anyone elses fishing, again I'm not bothered about others negative opinions.

One thing I have noticed on forums that does make me laugh though; it's when a poster questions anothers methods that clearly they have utter disdain for, and they try to dress it up with lines like: "Just to clarify for any inexperienced anglers reading this....."

syhaze

Reaction score
sadly i think it's all the more visible with today's barbel scene because of the internet. it's just so easy to sit in front of a computer, often hiding behind a silly username, and call other anglers names and ridicule their methods and catches.

i often wonder if those that are most vocal on the forums actually ever go fishing at all...

akacrush

Reaction score
Indeed a great shame that this happens (in any facet of the sport).

Personally I can only imagine its a case of sour grapes as they don't catch as well, or some sort of elitist "fishing god" mentality - simple answer to the second one is of course to be an atheist!!

Reaction score
The problem is - barbel should be fished for using big cage feeders with typically 2 to 8oz of lead, 25lb braid hook length and 15lb mainline. Hooks should be ESP Raptors and bait should be T7 Lamprey pellets and boilies or T7 Salmon Elipse or Sooties. Two rods should be used to maximise the bait trail and increase the chance of a bite.

However, some people have different ideas on how it should be done and get quite argumentative about it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I suspect that it's a little bit deeper than you suggest. However, I know that internet personas can be quite different to real life. There is one fella of my brief aquaintance that is generally deemed a disagreeable on-line character. Often banned from various forums, both temporarily and permanently. Meet him on the bank and he appears totally different to that on-line persona. I suspect that many such on-line characters are just the same. It's also worth noting that some posters just don't have the way with words. There are even some that do have a way with words, but that just winds some up too.

Last edited:

clint4782

Reaction score
If anyone watched Derren Browns show on tv the other night, you may have heard of 'de-individualisation' where the individual fails to recognise a given point of view or develops 'mob mentality'. As soon as you allow an individual to become anonymous, their moral standards change rapidly and unacceptable behaviour results.....it sadly seems endemic in many aspects of society and is often seems (not always granted) to be the preserve of younger members......

Again, it may be down to a general lack of respect for others which appears to be inbred and impossible to devolve in this day and age.....:(:(

Simon K

Reaction score
I think there are several aspects to this and an attitude belonging to one "fraternity" doesn't necessarily coincide with another.

First off there is undoubtedly a "snob" culture amongst some barbel anglers about how they should be fished for. Whether it's float-fishing, quiver-tip, using a centre-pin or a general disdain for modern gear and baits, it does exist. I've encountered it.
In my experience, many of these people are not very successful anyway. :rolleyes:

I have no idea where it's sprung from, perhaps the nearest progenitor I can think of might be the aping of Chris Yates in Passion For Angling, which has then mutated beyond one man's idiosyncratic and whimsical preference into a selfish mindset all of its own.

The other side of the coin is the protective nature of some people who seem to think that because they fish somewhere regularly (and maybe bank some decent fish) that somehow the stretch is "theirs" and a territoriality forms that brings aggression towards outsiders. This only mirrors basic aspects of "humans as animals" anyway and can be understood on a base level, but aren't we supposed to be civilised? :eek:
Disguising pics of individual swims where you caught is one thing which I think everyone understands and respects, but having a go at someone for naming a river, or even a stretch, is quite extraordinary.
And completely unwarranted in my view.

Why this has particularly become centred on barbel fishing, as opposed to any other species (apart from carp, as mentioned) I have no idea. :confused:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Why this has particularly become centred on barbel fishing, as opposed to any other species (apart from carp, as mentioned) I have no idea."

Could it just be that the only place you see it is on certain particular forums related to those species.

I'm not aware of a Roach Fishing World or Perch Fishing World, but as I understand, it did and maybe still does exist on "Pike Fishing World"

I know of at least two or three other barbel only forum and it doesn't happen on them thankfully.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Fred, I've got to say, this snobbery thing that is clearly evident amongst some of the barbel seeking fraternity isn't the private reserve of BFW.
It can be found on Barbel Hunters and ABF forums, I dare say if Barbel Angler got more than one post per week it'd be blighted too.

Also I don't doubt the carp scene is privy to such idiots that think their way is gospel, but I've never found it to be anywhere near as prevalent.

Simon K

Reaction score
Fred, I had little thought of forums in the first part of my post.

To qualify my thoughts: I have experienced these instances on the riverbank a number of times from different anglers.
I suspect that because I fish for barbel with twin avons + baitrunners (mostly) on a rod-pod, with bite alarms I'm more likely to draw this kind of behaviour than you with your different style of set-up. ;)

I know you don't believe this, probably because you haven't experienced it in person, but it does go on.

As regards the second part, I'm only guessing, but how many of those other barbel-only forums you allude to are "closed" sites &/or have relatively few members compared to the main players?

Most of those "other species" sites exist, but I believe as a restricted access, group forum. E.g. Tenchfishers, Perchfishers, CSG etc.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I may have experienced it on the bank but I put it down to the young follower of fashion angler and just ignore their views on the basis they are easily led. Or it could just be the waters you fish have some historic context, ie the Lea and therefore some more traditionalist values exist there?

Your style of fishing is very similar to mine Simon on the larger rivers,except I no longer find a need for bite alarms. Two Nash barbel specials and 5010's and starlights.
I have started useing a more simple reel though in the last few years which has a built in bite alarm particularly on the smaller rivers!

You may have a point Colin, but it's all down to moderation, or should I say the lack of it,or even best mates syndrome! A bit like those I am unable to post on ;):wh

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Fred, I've got to say, this snobbery thing that is clearly evident amongst some of the barbel seeking fraternity isn't the private reserve of BFW.
It can be found on Barbel Hunters and ABF forums, I dare say if Barbel Angler got more than one post per week it'd be blighted too.

Also I don't doubt the carp scene is privy to such idiots that think their way is gospel, but I've never found it to be anywhere near as prevalent.

I am a member of the ABF and have never found any snobbery on the forum,
i have seen stuff on other barbel only forums that would get the poster
banned from the ABF.

syhaze

Reaction score
indeed Fred, text carries no inflection or nuance other than those put on them by the reader, so it's very easy to have misunderstandings and misinterpretations.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Fred,

Your one line really does sum it up.

That covers everything, forums, the lot.

But, an individuals perception is often governed by past experiences that has helped shaped that individuals often preconcieved view.
Now time, more experience and dare I say becoming more mellow will all help to "change" one's view.

Likewise with interpretation, and many including me can be guilty of getting this wrong, because we think we already know the person and therefore have prejudged.

But thesed days I just don't go there, unlike your "signature" I have no appetite for a fight unless it is really important and then I'll stand my ground as much as anyone!

A more complex subject than you might imagine but the bottom line is be happy in your own skin, be friendly and most of all enjoy the fishing.

And on that note I really am off to the lower to catch that fifteen!!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But these days I just don't go there, unlike your "signature" I have no appetite for a fight unless it is really important and then I'll stand my ground as much as anyone!
A more complex subject than you might imagine but the bottom line is be happy in your own skin, be friendly and most of all enjoy the fishing.

I'm sure the same can be said for Jeremy Paxman,Steve. It certainly is my outlook.

Good luck on the lower Severn

Last edited: