Winter campaigns

B

Big Rik

so who winter carp fishes on lakes that are over 40 feet deep?

S

Steve M 42

Nice one guy's ;)
that gave me a bit more insight into winter fishing, i found the article on thermoclines good..
Any more advice on winter fishing :) please ;)

C

Cakey

Summer hot spots been very good to me in winter with slight differences like back of bars instead of on top.

S

Steve M 42

I had a nightmare last winter and blank'd for about 3 months, so this year i'm doing my homework ready for the really cold weather..
no weather would stop me from going fishing even if i do blank..
i've noticed in the last week or so the pole anglers disapearing slowly and i've had some nice carp fishing in the margins where the pleasure anglers seem to chuck there old maggots and bait at the end of the day.
cheers cakey.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
It depends on the time of too, imo. What I mean is the difference between water temperature and the ambient temperature.

At this time of the year the water temperature has peaked. The ambient temperature is falling so the upper levels of the water will be cooling first, leaving the deeper levels warmer.

In 6 months time the opposite will be the case.

As the ambient temperature rises, the upper levels of the water will rise before the depper parts, therefore the opposite will be the case: ie the colder water will be the deeper areas.

if that makes sense, sorry rushing as I'm on 1/2 hour lunch break.

C

Cakey

The trouble is thermoclines are out of my hands i.e. I cant alter them ,I cant measure them so I forget them and like Rik says most of the lakes and ponds I fish there aint none !

S

Steve M 42

The lake i'm fishing at the mo' is 6 foot at its deepest averaging about 4' so its normal summer rules tomorrow....if there are any rules so to speak..

B

Big Rik

don't forget very shallow margins in the winter.
I've fed and caught carp in 18" of water in amongst dead reed stems with ice in the margins.

C

Cakey

Rik is that 1st thing in the morning or later in the day when its warmed up a bit ?

S

Steve M 42

I've had some nice carp out of the margins, i go fishing about 5am tomorrow so when i get there i fish the margins on the other swims where the pleasure and pole fishermen been throwing there pelets in all day the day before..

njb51

Reaction score
do you cut down feed or use the same amount that you would use in summer?

Rik, i remember you mentioning somewhere on here sometime ago that you changed from pellets and bolies (??) to particles. or vice versa?

B

Big Rik

pellets tend to lose their effectiveness in colder water as the oils inherent in them, that make them work so well get locked in.
Boilies work, but are better for long term waters.
Particles work well in winter if you use the right ones and approach it correctly.

Salted maize works well, hemp and chopped tigers are also very good, but remember to keep levels much lighter.

One or two spodfuls and top us regularly as required.

M

Mark Hodson

Thanks for the feedback, I now have a plan. I have made up a load of 10mm baits using some Nashy Amber attractor base mix i've had for a while just with a touch of scopex . Also made up 100 overflavoured hookbaits in 10mm and 14mm (these really do reeek ideal for winter). Going to fish them with dead maggots and chopped worm in solid bags dried of with some crushed baits. Alternativly I will just fish a single 10mm bait with a 3 bait stringer. Going very light to start with and see how I get on, size 10 hooks to 8lb Krystonite hooklinks. Quite looking forward to this little campaign now, bring on those fresh frosty mornings.