winter carping

Matty C

Reaction score
how prolonged does rain have to be before its considered prolonged ?

B

Big Rik

a prolonged downpour could be two hours.....

or two weeks.......

agree that wet and warm is best for winter time.

lilypad

Reaction score
My 2 best carp caught on 22mm halibut pellet with a very small (walnut size) pva bag of low oil 4mm carp pellets.
1st Feb 30lb 9oz and 3rd Feb 31lb 10oz (2005). No spodding or freebies of any kind.
The pellets form a visual "target" with the hookbait in the middle.
All the carp I caught last Winter were caught this way sometimes with a different hookbait.

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
Ive been having a pretty successful few carping trips, last few times the lake has been half frozen but still been getting 2-3 fish in a half day. My only advice is dont go to the lake with a preconceived idea of where you are going to fish and what bait and tactic you will use. Take a few different baits with you and play it by ear when you get there!
One last thing, I have been having most fish in the shallowest parts of the lake. I guess they get warmed quicker during the day. Good luck.

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers guys, very helpful..

will give it a bash as soon as I get a chance.. My lake is only about 5 feet deep at its deepest, think it goes down to maybe 3ish feet in some places..

cheers again guys

Matt

Foxy

Reaction score
Managed to sneek out last Friday for a quick overnighter. Banked a nice 16.5 mirror, only fish out in three weeks on the lake.

few maggots on a clip with a bit of foam with about 1/2 kg of blended hemp, maggot and two cans of cocunut milk spodded over the top, with a small "ping pong" ball bag of maggots with every re-cast. Next time im adding some groats to make the milky cloud last a bit longer. use a little spod to minimise disturbance.

Worked well for me, and the lake was freezing when i had the run :)

B

Billy boy (B.A)

started glugging my hookers in condensed milk , working a treat to.