With a Moo Moo here and a Moo Moo there......

maverick 7

Reaction score
Some great answers there lads.......here's a few of my personal experiences (again)...

......We was on the Swale behind the Angel Inn and this couple walked down to the bank with their dog as we was packing up to go home. The dog was completely unaware that this cow had sort of crept up on him and was only a foot or so away from him...practically on top of him. The dog turned around and saw how close the cow was and it jumped so high in the air with the shock.....it landed in the river....

.....it was just so funny to see....was laughing about it for days after that.

Another time I went to Bournemouth for a holiday.....it was during my tackle shop days and I never went abroad during that time....it was always an English holiday and usually for a week....don't ask me why....Anyway, I decided to have a days stick float fishing on the Royalty Fishery in Christchurch and because the fishery is practically in the Town centre..... my wife decided to spend all my money in the shops there...so everyone's a winner eh?

She returned a few hours later and I was stood up and still stick float fishing...so she decided to sit in my chair and have forty winks.....Little did she (or me) know that one of the cows in the field had started to manoeuvre itself very close to her without being noticed....so close in fact, it's mouth was literally 5 or 6 inches away from her face when she opened her eyes....Christ, I thought somebody had shot her.......

....must have been a shock for her though....even so....I would have thought she had gotten used to a big ugly face slobbering over her with fetid breath and green rotten teeth by now........:)

Maverick

hyperdrive

Reaction score
Just happened on a bit of luck as the old beasts do make me a bit nervous, the farmer who owns the land on one of the club stretches has moved his cows to a different field to let the anglers have a bit of peace, jolly nice chap

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The ' big white cows ' mentioned by someone in a post are, I think, Charolais....We have some on a farm in the Hambleden Valley near Henley and they certainly are huge beasts. However, I have walked through the fields containing them many times without a problem and why would the farmer take a chance with them if unsure how they react to us folk.
No so some bl**dy brown and white jobies which are two fields further along that decided two weeks ago that it was time for a little gallop around the field just as I was walking across it ! At one time they were 50 m away and running parallel to me with young going in every direction but straight, so I went from a very fast walk to something resembling a slow run, slow enough for them to realise I wasn't competing with with them, but fast enough to reach the next gate PDQ !!
My reason for much haste was the memory of some two years ago when I strayed too close to some cows with calves and a mum took exception. On that occasion I did run, and damn fast and only a small stream saved me!!!

Worse; In my youth I took a young lady fishing with me on the Thame at Goring. You can imagine the scene; Me, all cock sure and dying to show my ' of the country ' act and the female hanging on every word. Enter the scene a herd of cows various which decided my area of water, with several hundred metres to choose from, was just the place for a dunk and a paddle.
" Don't worry " said I at the beginingas they ambled toward us, which turned into both of us paddling upstream with gear and sarnies in hand, jst to find a place to exit the water. This we did, only to find one or two wanted to come with us.

The upshot was us running, after a fashion, for the gate having come to the end of the balls of ground bait that I had attempted to use as a form of defence. The day was a shambles after that and with my image in tatters the relationship came to an abrupt end soon after............
She suggested I was running faster than her and didn't stop as she stumbled....Well, I have to say I didn't look back many times !!

I've always considered that episode my only cowardly act of my youth, plus the legover went by the board..................................Very poor show..

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
The ' big white cows ' mentioned by someone in a post are, I think, Charolais....We have some on a farm in the Hambleden Valley near Henley and they certainly are huge beasts. However, I have walked through the fields containing them many times without a problem and why would the farmer take a chance with them if unsure how they react to us folk.
No so some bl**dy brown and white jobies which are two fields further along that decided two weeks ago that it was time for a little gallop around the field just as I was walking across it ! At one time they were 50 m away and running parallel to me with young going in every direction but straight, so I went from a very fast walk to something resembling a slow run, slow enough for them to realise I wasn't competing with with them, but fast enough to reach the next gate PDQ !!
My reason for much haste was the memory of some two years ago when I strayed too close to some cows with calves and a mum took exception. On that occasion I did run, and damn fast and only a small stream saved me!!!

Worse; In my youth I took a young lady fishing with me on the Thame at Goring. You can imagine the scene; Me, all cock sure and dying to show my ' of the country ' act and the female hanging on every word. Enter the scene a herd of cows various which decided my area of water, with several hundred metres to choose from, was just the place for a dunk and a paddle.
" Don't worry " said I at the beginingas they ambled toward us, which turned into both of us paddling upstream with gear and sarnies in hand, jst to find a place to exit the water. This we did, only to find one or two wanted to come with us.

The upshot was us running, after a fashion, for the gate having come to the end of the balls of ground bait that I had attempted to use as a form of defence. The day was a shambles after that and with my image in tatters the relationship came to an abrupt end soon after............
She suggested I was running faster than her and didn't stop as she stumbled....Well, I have to say I didn't look back many times !!

I've always considered that episode my only cowardly act of my youth, plus the legover went by the board..................................Very poor show..

Very funny Tee Cee....very funny indeed.....

.....loved that post!

Maverick

retrobob

Reaction score
Had many a meeting with cows and bulls on various rivers, they seem to be attracted to the smell of hemp?? - Funnily enough they also frequent farm ponds.......................
COWSFARMPOND_zps8176cf91.jpg

Doubt it, they dont have a particularly good sense of smell, they just want a drink or are inquisitive about you. They will get bored of you and move on.

Steve2020

Reaction score
This thread has opened my eyes to the dangers of cattle, either I'm very naive or stupid but I actually really like cows and often walk towards them for a pat or a stroke when fishing rivers but they always walk away from me. Maybe I've just been really lucky or do they sense fear from those of you who are weary.
This coming from a middle aged bloke who's scared of spiders :)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Portable electric fence thats what you need alarm battery should last for a good few hours , Just remember where you have rigged it when nature calls :wh :eek: :eek:mg: could be rather livening ..

PG ..

Harvey

Reaction score
I was personally attacked by a flock of 15-20 sheep a month ago. Two of them had their heads in my groundbait bowl, and three tried to get to my sandwiches in the rucksack. When I tried to save my groudbait by putting it under my chair, they easily tipped the chair over and continued to eat. One tried to eat my unhooking mat, and stepped on my scales in the process. It was hard work to drive them off; they wouldn't take no for an answer, and was definately not shy. I lucily managed to save my rods, but when I got rid of them at last, my swim looked like a mess, and half the groundbait was gone. And all the sweetcorn. "I see you on the menu", I shouted to the lot when they left.