Your best ever day?

C

Cakey

seeing my two boys catching their 1st carp was goooooooood for me

Derek Lewis 5

Reaction score
hi every one,difficult one this,as there all good days,as most of my fishing is on the hampshire avon,i think just being part of it is a pleasue,and all the wildlife you see,deer,foxes{my favourit animal,apart from my dog,half coolie,half alsation}and have had so many good days without catching,if you can understand that,but one trip out was to the dorset stour,with a friend from work,who had never caught a barbel in his life,and i put him in a swim where i knew there was a big barbel that used to feed in there at certain times of the year,normally september onwards,and this friend went on to catch it at 13lbs.8ozs.the whole story i wrote as an article on another site bfw,i think i was more estatic than my friend,so you dont always have to catch them yourself.cheers to every one.derek lewis.

R

Robin Higgins

"you dont always have to catch them yourself"

Totally agree. One of my best ever sessions was a few years ago on a reservoir in Leics where I used to go carping and I'd talked my Dad into coming along.

This water has no nightfishing so the best method I've found is to get up there in the dark and start floatfishing the margins at the crack of dawn.

This particular morning I set Dad up first with my JW Avon on the lift method and told him to drop the bait just over the marginal weed. Within two minutes the float twitched and smoothly sailed away. Dad struck and missed (it was 5.00am and he is getting on a bit!). A rechuck in the same place resulted in an identical bite within a minute. This time he connected and the rod really bent over.

After five minutes I was telling him that it was a good fish - probably a double. After 15 minutes it rolled over and I told him it WAS a good fish - a twenty!

On the bank we weighed it at 24.04 - a pound bigger than my PB! Dad's previous biggest fish was a double figure Avington rainbow so this was something completely different for him. I was more pleased than Dad was but still charged him a ?50 ghillying fee!

We fished on until lunchtime catching large numbers of skimmers up to 3lb plus some lovely roach. Certainly a day that will stick in the mind forever.