Zander & Crabtree

Philip

Reaction score
Most fish have a classic Crabtree type swim associated with them…Perch the wooden boat stage, Tench the pads, Barbel the streamer covered gravels and so on.

I was thinking what would Crabtree have put for Zander ? ....& Is there even such a thing as a "classic" holding spot for them ?

B

binka

I reckon he would have gone for a deep, dark hole below dense overhanging cover.

Personally I've found the opposite to be true on many occasions with a distinct preference for feeling the flow over their backs even if it means holding out in comparatively featureless but faster parts of the river.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Deep Weirpool with overhanging tree cover.

Not many of them on the Lea Navigation !!

Bob

terry m

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have never caught a zander so unable to qualify from an angling perspective.

However am fully qualified to give an opinion on setting from a culinary perspective.

Filleted on a china plate with a fresh salad and light drizzling of balsamic vinegar. Germany, Hungary and Romania, whenever I visit those places I always pick Zander from the menu, it is very good.

Philip

Reaction score
Seems most people agree that Crabtree would put them in a classic dark deep hole ..a sort of Vampires lair as such.

Like others however I am not so sure that is always their preferred holding spot. Thing is I am not sure what is ! They do seem to turn up just about anywhere. Interesting to hear about the Trent fish coming in the faster flows.

The only places I have found to be consistant (of sorts) is the slacker areas where perhaps a dead arm joins a main river but even then it can be hit and miss.

A very contrary fish is the Zander !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
During the daytime then I think Zander tend to frequent the slow deeper holes whereas at their hunting time at night then they can, and will, be found all over a venue chasing their prey fish.

Now . . . . Allowing me a little pedantic time: is there really such a thing a "Crabtree" swim for Zander?

Mr Crabtree was first published in 1943, (as a comic strip in the newspaper, and 1949 as a book) which pre-dates the introduction of Zander into the Great Ouse river system by some 20 years, in 1963

;)

Philip

Reaction score
During the daytime then I think Zander tend to frequent the slow deeper holes whereas at their hunting time at night then they can, and will, be found all over a venue chasing their prey fish.

Yep I recon you have that about right Peter...being a shoal pack predator I think they are covering large areas during feeding times looking for prey. I just wish I could find where they are holeing up during the rest of the time..probably is the deeper holes.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Now . . . . Allowing me a little pedantic time: is there really such a thing a "Crabtree" swim for Zander? Mr Crabtree was first published in 1943, (as a comic strip in the newspaper, and 1949 as a book) which pre-dates the introduction of Zander into the Great Ouse river system by some 20 years, in 1963

Well if we want to be pedantic then you will note that for that very predating reason I actually asked what swim WOULD Crabtree have put them in not SHOULD have put them in.

PS – didn’t the Ouse fish come from Woburn where they had been since the 1800s ..

;):D

B

binka

PS – didn’t the Ouse fish come from Woburn where they had been since the 1800s ..

I've read of zander being imported during the Victorian era for private estate lakes, maybe Crabtree was a time traveller and watched his bobbin from afar whilst taking afternoon tea in the orangery?

I wouldn't like to have been the one to keep the end of that long scarf from dragging in the water though :)

Philip

Reaction score
maybe Crabtree was a time traveller and watched his bobbin from afar whilst taking afternoon tea in the orangery?

Lucky for Crabtree as he would have cleary been in breach of the "in control of your rods" bylaw being that far away ...:)

Philip

Reaction score
I thought the original stocking was of the 97 "fingerlings" although their source of origin I have not read about.

Yes thats right...i think it was 97 taken from Woburn to the Ouse. I think the Woburn fish originally came from Germany, I cant recall exactly how many ..20 odd I think in the late 1800s.

Someone probably knows the precise details.

rubio

Reaction score
I have strong suspicions that 'Crabtree' swims were selected for their artistic qualities rather than the perfect spot for his selected species. Couldn't count the number of times I've failed to nail a big perch from the 'perfect' Perch hole!
I accept my own ineptitude will have also influenced these outcomes. I still enjoy a read of crabtree's exploits from time to time without bitterness tho.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I can tell what a classic zander swim looks like to me, deep water with a current and a drop off. It's a shallow venue and summer then shade becomes important.