Edward Barder Centrepin Reel

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

nhs service

Reaction score
Lovely looking pin, the floats look like the sort you could put in a wall display, they really are bobby dazzlers!
Not something that could probably be said of Drennan crystal loafers but they are still my favourite river floats,as are Drennan crystals generally, but I'm probably lucky,I never got the float bug, although I did have a wooden float box at one time,but I ended up just sticking some in a cut down rod tube,I'm sure those lovely creations in the photos wouldn't last long like that!
All the best.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If this works then you should see a selection of Andrew's superb floats pictured with my Barder Merlin rod . . . . . . .

IMG_0492-1.jpg picture by pgj2 - Photobucket

Just click on 'Next' to see them all - the reel is a Fred Crouch Emerald Limited Edition . . . . it runs so smoothly you hardly know it is turning . . . .

I enjoyed looking through those pictures, a lovely reel and some very nice floats:D. Only problem for me would be the possability of breaking off and loosing one of the floats :eek:

neuvy

Reaction score
I like Andrew's floats, works of art in fact but where I fish the hooligan carp would muller them in an instant, nice present for the super rich angler or for a display cabinet. However if you turned up fishing for the same carp with that fugly centrepin they'd line up at the surface pointing their fins at it, blowing bubbles as they descended in hysterics back to carp city. My elder brother used to force me to go sea fishing with him, (who enjoys that ;)?) I used to use something similar made out of bakelite, it was evil.
I use a hand-made, made in Enfield 'Fred Crouch Jet' when float fishing for carp and it is a wonderful tool. Basically a Match Aerial, Fred (a gentleman) beefed up the reel seat for me as too many 20lb plus carp loosened the original, he fitted a line guard too which is useful in windy conditions and you can still Wallis cast with it, although I hardly ever do that. It's a quality bit of kit and I'm going to order another with a deeper spool capable of better handling thicker line.
Don't spend all that dosh on an Edward Barder Centrepin, beauty in this case lies elsewhere along with function and common sense. :D

nhs service

Reaction score
Aye,that's the law,function not form.
Then when you catch a nice fish you always make sure the rod and pin is in the photograph as well.:)
Gear can be nice to look at,and still do the job.
Mind you, I was looking through ABU reels on ebay and there was an old Cardinal reel for sale.
No argument, that reel was pug ugly.
All the best.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Only problem for me would be the possability of breaking off and loosing one of the floats

I have only once (s ofar) had to chase down the bank with landing net in hand to 'recover' one of those . . . . . . .

The thought of losing it did have me seriously considering shucking the trousers and going for a swim . . . . thankfully on the next bend though it came within reach LOL

neuvy

Reaction score
Aye,that's the law,function not form.
Then when you catch a nice fish you always make sure the rod and pin is in the photograph as well.:)
Gear can be nice to look at,and still do the job.
Mind you, I was looking through ABU reels on ebay and there was an old Cardinal reel for sale.
No argument, that reel was pug ugly.
All the best.

I always forget to take good photos of my best fish or I forget the camera and never with the rod and reel in the photo, earlier this year I caught a 3 1/2lb Perch, I was still smiling days afterwards but I have no photo :eek:mg: :mad:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have only once (s ofar) had to chase down the bank with landing net in hand to 'recover' one of those . . . . . . .

The thought of losing it did have me seriously considering shucking the trousers and going for a swim . . . . thankfully on the next bend though it came within reach LOL

LOL Peter, I don't know how i'd go on then as i've followed a £1.20 float for 1/2 a mile down streem to recover it. I did and still do like the floats above all others for trotting... it was a Steve Maher avon bolo but I think they gone up in price to £180...each :eek:.

nhs service

Reaction score
Congrats on the perch Neuvy,that's a fish of a lifetime and I think it will stay in your memory for life anyway.
I am a rubbish photographer , I either got an out of focus picture of the rod and reel,or the fish,but never in the same frame!
All the best.

neuvy

Reaction score
Congrats on the perch Neuvy,that's a fish of a lifetime and I think it will stay in your memory for life anyway.
I am a rubbish photographer , I either got an out of focus picture of the rod and reel,or the fish,but never in the same frame!
All the best.

Thanks, that's just what I thought, 'a fish of a life time' BUT in early November in the same 25 hectare pond where I caught the big 'un, the Pike and Perch 'herd' the small fish into two bays either side of an island that I fish from. Last year a mammoth Perch literally leapt over my rod while chasing the tiddlers, I think there are Perch in there to 6lb, more even. I didn't want to cast in a small plastic fish that I had in my tackle box as I didn't want to hook a Pike so I went back two days later armed with worms but the place was dead. I didn't even get a bite, I'm going to be ready this year and hope they turn up to feed again before winter sets in.
Meanwhile here's a photo of a 1kg Perch from another 'Pescalis' pond of just 1 hectare.

Attachments

• 1kg plus perch 2.jpg
    1kg plus perch 2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 58