Edward Barder Centrepin Reel

nhs service

Reaction score
It looks like a nice bit of gear for the traditionalist anglers who like to fish with split cane rods and all that.
Not my bag at all, but good luck to you if thats your thing.
All the best.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like a nice bit of gear for the traditionalist anglers who like to fish with split cane rods and all that.
Not my bag at all, but good luck to you if thats your thing.
All the best.

. . . and that is what it is really all about, what floats one man's boat is a sinker for another.

So, each to their own and all that.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thank's for posting the pic Peter....I can't open it any larger but what I can see deffinatly doesn't impress me, not looks wise at least.

They will have had to compromise a bit on the machining to keep the reel under the selling price. If you wait a while there's likely to be a deluxe edition along soon.

guest61

Reaction score
I can genuinely see the attraction of having one of these reels matched with one of Barders rods with a few Andrew Field hand made floats in a leather float tube.

The reel may be overpriced, but what does it matter? It's not be the first piece on fishing gear that's overpriced, not for me though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I can genuinely see the attraction of having one of these reels matched with one of Barders rods with a few Andrew Field hand made floats in a leather float tube.

The reel may be overpriced, but what does it matter? It's not be the first piece on fishing gear that's overpriced, not for me though.

If this works then you should see a selection of Andrew's superb floats pictured with my Barder Merlin rod . . . . . . .

IMG_0492-1.jpg picture by pgj2 - Photobucket

Just click on 'Next' to see them all - the reel is a Fred Crouch Emerald Limited Edition . . . . it runs so smoothly you hardly know it is turning . . . .

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
I think that the top end of the tackle market is, and will always be, just like that . . . . . .

Me too, for a fool and his money is easily parted.

Loved the floats in PJ's album. The best pic though was Joe Jordan showing great restraint in not murdering Gattaso (#1...what you doing with that!)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Me too, for a fool and his money is easily parted.

Loved the floats in PJ's album. The best pic though was Joe Jordan showing great restraint in not murdering Gattaso (#1...what you doing with that!)

It was there as a trial for Photobucket and linking pictures to an FM post.

I think it was used in a disucssion (argument) with another angler who said it was all Gatts's fault and that Jordan was the 'innocent and injured' party - LOL

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
More money than sense some folk.... I expect the price was hiked in anticipation of half of them going straight to e-bay and fetching the said asking price.

I bet they won't appreciate significantly - the high initial asking price will influence that.

trotter2

Reaction score
I will put money on it they will not catch you anymore fish and work any better than a okuma sheffield guaranteed. (crazy money ) posers jobs IMO

chav professor

Reaction score
What I forgot to mention is that the e-mail spoke of only 25 of these to be made . . . . . . . . . .

OK, thats not to cynical - a genuine short run. I suppose, its going to be a better investment than anything that a bank could ever dream of providing. but that is the sad thing - at that price it will be an investment.

Like dealers in stocks and shares there could be some legs in investing wisely - a few Barder rods, a reel, etc - Do I wish I had bought 4 or 5 copies of the CSG book Chevin?:rolleyes: Could of got it signed many times over........ I have even been asked to sign one and I wasn't in the group when it was published:D I made what was for me the right ethical decision.

My book collection must be worth a few grand, but my Mrs is right when she argues they are not an investment...... cos I could never sell them.

Having said that - I could have the pleasure of owning a nice centre pin reel over a portfolio of shares any day of the week and ultimately be far better off!

guest61

Reaction score
If this works then you should see a selection of Andrew's superb floats pictured with my Barder Merlin rod . . . . . . .

IMG_0492-1.jpg picture by pgj2 - Photobucket

Just click on 'Next' to see them all - the reel is a Fred Crouch Emerald Limited Edition . . . . it runs so smoothly you hardly know it is turning . . . .

Some of those floats look like they were designed by Tim Burton. Are they 'traditional' designs? There's a whiff of continental 'bolo' about some of them.