Big pike are not hard to catch

scrowell

Reaction score
Asuming the weed groth doesn't carpet the water surface and you are using strong gear ( which you should be ) one of the many examples of surface lures can be used to great effect. I find Crawlers to work well, fished through channels and along the edges of the weed beds. Its explosive stuff and very addictive. Thats one approach.

I was introduced to this method of fishing a few years ago by Derek Gibson and was blow away by the effectiveness of that method and can say from past experience when you catch on one its magical to whitness.

madmatz

Reaction score
dont worry about the gear i use mate as all my piking gear is upto the job :D to be honest im kicking myself for no reason. the odds are against me at the moment im working full time and also have a young family to look after so i can only get out at the drop of a hat and sometimes that aint the right time this is just something i have to accept at the moment :D

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

by the way when do you find the best time/conditions is for surface lure fishing?

scrowell

Reaction score
I find that the best time for top water lures is in the evening time just when the sun if starting to set or on a dull, over cast day even with abit of drizzle with water conditions fairly calm.

When not to fish at least how I was taught is during prolonged periods of excessive hot weather, but that is down to consideration for the pikes welfare.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I find that the best time for top water lures is in the evening time just when the sun if starting to set or on a dull, over cast day even with abit of drizzle with water conditions fairly calm.

When not to fish at least how I was taught is during prolonged periods of excessive hot weather, but that is down to consideration for the pikes welfare.

I applaud your consideration for the fish mate, these are aspects we should all be mindfull of.
When you say ''crawlers'', am I right in thinking you're refering to ''jitterbugs and creepers''?

Madmattz,
You seem to be having a hard time of it recently mate, yes it's hard going when you're just starting out with lures for a number of reasons. The most common one being, ''confidence'' and lure selection/choice of water.
We will have to arrange a few hours out together, I might be able to help, but no guarantee's.

madmatz

Reaction score
derek that would be awsome anything you can learn me would be worth more than a gold pig :D just let me know when the time is right maybe when the weather cools down a bit eh? that would be better for both us plus the pike

scrowell

Reaction score
Spot on that derek, but I must say that out of all the top water lures I have used the Jitterbug is my most favourite and productive, but I must add when I went fishing with you all them 4 years ago Iv not forgotton the beast of a fish you caught on that wierd looking lure but i cant remember it name for the life of me. I can remember though you did say that when you had time you was going to make one for me but the ladies got in the way of my fishing and unfortunatally we lost contact.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Spot on that derek, but I must say that out of all the top water lures I have used the Jitterbug is my most favourite and productive, but I must add when I went fishing with you all them 4 years ago Iv not forgotton the beast of a fish you caught on that wierd looking lure but i cant remember it name for the life of me. I can remember though you did say that when you had time you was going to make one for me but the ladies got in the way of my fishing and unfortunatally we lost contact.

Yes, I too remember it well, we'd gone for an evening session up on the res, the fish weighed 27-12 and the lure was one of my own Hawg Wobbler's. And yes I'm a man of my word, I do have one I can let you have. You'll have to call in to see me, now that you've got the ladies out of your system. :wh:wh:wh

Morespiders

Reaction score
Yes, I too remember it well, we'd gone for an evening session up on the res, the fish weighed 27-12 and the lure was one of my own Hawg Wobbler's. And yes I'm a man of my word, I do have one I can let you have. You'll have to call in to see me, now that you've got the ladies out of your system. :wh:wh:wh

You never cease to amaze me Mr Gibson, your a jem mate, one of the best, Madmatz, best teacher you could have, hang on his every word, the mans a legend.
157 pages of wisdom, longest thread on FM

madmatz

Reaction score
pike fishing is the biggest and most puzzling jig saw i will ever have to put together. we have disscused lures/colors retrives and where to cast but what about the angler himself.

what is the most important thing i as a person i need to require to be successful?

i would appreciate advice from all successful lure anglers

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
pike fishing is the biggest and most puzzling jig saw i will ever have to put together. we have disscused lures/colors retrives and where to cast but what about the angler himself.

what is the most important thing i as a person i need to require to be successful?

i would appreciate advice from all successful lure anglers

In the absence of any replies from others, here's my two pennorth.

''Focus'', no one ever got to be the best they can be at any endeavour without that vital ingredient mate.

''Patience'', is another asset, but in the words of old **** Walker, ''controlled patience''.

Oh yeah, it also helps to be a little touched in the head. :D

Close friends tell me, I'm well qualified in that department, but since they've stuck by me for forty years, that suggests I'm not dangerous. :wh:wh

madmatz

Reaction score
well i definately have one of those key points and a fair amount of patience i will work on the focus :D

have any of you other lure guys owt to add?

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Its difficult to pin down, there are the usual cliches of being determined and keep at it and to have confidence in yourself and the lures you are chucking.However Lure fishing is all a bit "chicken and egg" You can only gain confidence by catching in the first place.

My advice, tenacity, just keep going as much as you can never give up and one day it will all come together. Short sessions help with this as long blank sessions can be soul destroying. With this in mind trout reservoirs should be avoided like the plague.

good luck.

madmatz

Reaction score
thanks for all your replys guys i aint the type to give up just because its been hard going i dont think i have done myself any favors in the months i have been trying july/aug as it seems these months can be slow/hardgoing am i right?

dannytaylor

Reaction score
It all depends on the venues you are targetting at these times. IMO canals can be tricky as you rightly put it due to the weed and coloured water kicked up by boats. At this time of year lure fishing after dark can be productive especially with surface lures, maybe worth a try although i think it maybe better to get more confident in catching with lures in the daytime before you try this, but if you feel confident go for it. This is something i will be trying over the next few weeks. Usually with canals i will begin to target these venues with lures from about mid/late september and usually fish lures hard until the first hard frosts arrive around the end of november then i will revert to the deads.

Once again goodluck Matt, im sure it wont be long before your catching.

madmatz

Reaction score
i hope so danny i really do. ive done ok in the past with deads but since turning to lures its been hard work but hey nothing worth having comes easy :w

rains

Reaction score
It all depends on the venues you are targetting at these times. IMO canals can be tricky as you rightly put it due to the weed and coloured water kicked up by boats. At this time of year lure fishing after dark can be productive especially with surface lures, maybe worth a try although i think it maybe better to get more confident in catching with lures in the daytime before you try this, but if you feel confident go for it. This is something i will be trying over the next few weeks. Usually with canals i will begin to target these venues with lures from about mid/late september and usually fish lures hard until the first hard frosts arrive around the end of november then i will revert to the deads.

Once again goodluck Matt, im sure it wont be long before your catching.
Caught most of my pike at night using laws in muddy water there senses are unbelieveable

madmatz

Reaction score
yeah there is that OUCH :( remember when kev green got a lure stuck in the back of his head that was in daylight too :eek: