Big pike are not hard to catch

blazytackle

Reaction score
Our Kickstarter page is now live! Try some of the best tackles in the world, hand-crafted by us. Come and take a look: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/349828219/blazy-tackle-custom-fishing-lures

1b17ca842a26b24d6cf04ee40733f68b_original.jpg

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ever try any of the products in the above post Derek ?

Mick,
In all honesty I can say that ''I've ever heard of them mate''. So it goes without saying that without wishing to appear cynical I thought it was a wind up.

Bye the bye, I got back about an hour ago from one of the ''old'' venues that we both know well, and once again it proved to be a very productive outing. As you would expect I'm fully fired up, I can't wait for these gales to pass.

thecrow

Reaction score
I don't understand what all the "pledge" so many £s to receive a lure, is it a money raising thing? if so what for? it says on the link "funding cancelled" so whats going on?

flightliner

Reaction score
Mick,
In all honesty I can say that ''I've ever heard of them mate''. So it goes without saying that without wishing to appear cynical I thought it was a wind up.

Bye the bye, I got back about an hour ago from one of the ''old'' venues that we both know well, and once again it proved to be a very productive outing. As you would expect I'm fully fired up, I can't wait for these gales to pass.
Great to hear Derek, finding a water from old thats got you fired up is a great way to get thro a cold winter.
re the lures in the post I hav'nt seen them myself but I was going thro this old post of yours and seeing it thought you may have, still, no matter.
Must mention tho that anyone who is relatively new to FM and enjoys lure fishing or piking generally would be well advised to read this thread from page one as it's a proper page turner.
read between the lines, it's all there!.:)

Another Dave

Reaction score
Well it's taken me the best part of a week to get to the end and i feel i must say what a cracking thread this is. Derek, well played sir.

I'm more small lures for chub and perch and i'm very much the newbie but there was so much here that chimed with things i've concluded this year, moving swims after a few casts, black lures for surface fishing, scaling down/removing hooks, and much much more.

One thing that occurred to me about your success with bigger lures was this - do you think one factor is that bigger lures are 'louder', in other words they produce a more powerful vibration which carries through the water further?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Dave,
I remain convinced that the larger lures with their low frequency sound are far more attractive to the larger Pike. For one thing low frequency sound has a greater range and will call in the bigger Pike, plus they are more visible at greater distance.

It goes without saying that smaller Pike will take the larger lures, just as big Pike are caught on smaller lures. But over time the larger lures ''will'' put more big Pike on the bank. So for me who targets the bigger fish the key factors are lure size, working depth and colour, equally as important would be where you chuck those lures.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Derek.
I will be out on the Wye soon as the snow melt has dropped out.
I have had good fish but pretty much on half large mackerel dead baited with slider floats.

1. Due to the mixed bottom, lots rocks and varied depths is it best to stick with deads ( lives not allowed on some waters) that can be a bit boring even if moving every hour or so, or is it worth trying large lures?

And will they still be effective at low temperatures when pike may be comatose for much of the day?

If so, any lure recommendations. Surface one?

Cheers

Graham

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
As an angling guide on the river I would assume that you are well aquainted with specific areas including those that hold Pike.
I on the other hand have no experience of the Wye, however I believe that there are few if any waters where Pike can't be taken on lures. Take the Trent for example, it displays all of the features you describe. So yes, I believe it definitely is worth trying the larger lures in the areas you ''know'' contain Pike.
Lures, now there's a minefield, but I would definitely consider ''spinnerbaits'' they are such a versatile lure. I would plumb for the twin bladed type in the one and a half ounce range, also the newer slow sink plastics with the paddle tail, many brands available, take your pick.
Surface lures! Not my first choice for winter fishing.
Hope this helps.

steve2

Reaction score
Derek,

What would consider to be large lures my normal pike ones are in the 6" to 8" range?
Like you say small pike take big lures and large pike small lure. My smallest on large lures have been around a pound, largest on ¼ ounce spinnerbait just over 20lb.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Derek,

What would consider to be large lures my normal pike ones are in the 6" to 8" range?
Like you say small pike take big lures and large pike small lure. My smallest on large lures have been around a pound, largest on ¼ ounce spinnerbait just over 20lb.

Steve,
I can do no better than tell you what I currently carry. Several swimbaits of ten inches, rather bulky in profile and weigh in at 5oz.
Four soft crankbaits 12 inch slim profile, these weigh in at approx. 3oz.
Three spinnerbaits of my own make 1oz and half, but with triple silicone skirt including stinger hook complete with grub, These measure from lead head to grub 10inch.
Steve, all of the above have at some point or another in the last few years fish in excess of 20lbs, from waters available to all for the price of a day ticket, so I'm in no hurry to change.

steve2

Reaction score
Have you ever done any good with large bucktail spinners. I have used them but never caught on them have had some follows but it almost as if the pike are say what the hell is that.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Have you ever done any good with large bucktail spinners. I have used them but never caught on them have had some follows but it almost as if the pike are say what the hell is that.

Yes Steve I have, about eighteen years ago. I made some, mostly out of curiosity and to overcome losing lures on a couple of weirs on the Trent. Big ones they were too, two ounce jobbies, nine inch long with a big bushy Bucktail, and large fluted Colorado blade, an yes they worked.

I also made a couple of lighter ones for use on the Fen drains where they proved to be less successful. As I drifted away from the Trent weirs I used them even less

I'll tell you what Steve they are nowhere near as versatile as the humble Spinnerbait.

mikench

Reaction score
Do you guys use mono or braid for lure fishing for pike and what bs or diameter ?

Do you also use a trace regardless of choice of line?

flightliner

Reaction score
Mono and a trace most of the time for me but early this year I did buy a big spool of braid , spooled it ready to go but have'nt got round to using it yet.
If I were an ardent predator man I reckon I would have both to use in equel measure but right now being more casual about it mono will stay the line of most times out.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
What breaking strain should be used Flight. I have just stripped some line of a spool on a Diawa Tdm 3012 reel so will respool in due course with whatever is deemed most suitable . I have a few unused lures and a 9 ft spinning rod!

I am part way through a book recommended by John Step by Neville Fickling entitled Pike fishing in the 80's! Not like roach fishing!:rolleyes:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I would suggest that Braid is the way to go when contemplating lure fishing.
Without labouring the point, consider the two major points. None stretch which allows one to feel even a light pluck, and instant contact on the strike. The added benefit of using a much stronger line with reduced diameter.
What strength braid is determined by the size of lures you anticipate casting, and the strength of your rod. Yes, I know some will say that braid is expensive when compared to Mono, but the fact is braid will last infinitely longer than Mono.

flightliner

Reaction score
If I'm deadbaiting for pike I normally use a 15lb bs line.
Barkley big game is fine but most guys have a favourite of their own.
If I'm luring I take the water into consideration, only pike then maybe 10lb with big long casting jobs, maybe a little less with lighter ones.
It's mainly down to the venues characteristics really, size of fish expected and species,weed, snags, non at all?
All coupled to a suitable rod on the day -- I have two default lure rods and another two that I converted by shortening two old carp rods for the heavy distance casting.
Two 2•5tc carp rods that I enjoy using and three 3lb tc deadbaiting tools.