Big pike are not hard to catch

madmatz

Reaction score
just noticed theres a full moon whats the thoughts on how the moon/phase affects pike feeding?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Good post Matt, I know a number of piker's who subscribe to Lunar cycles,(moon phases) and firmly believe that in choosing the right phase their fishing will be far more productive.

Speaking personally I have never been able to get my head around the in's and out's of it, as some have claimed to do.

For those who may be inclined to look a little deeper into the subject, there is a book available titled ''Solunar Tables'' the author is John Alden Knight.

Alistaire Rawlings, a highly successful pike and advocate of moon phases, did some articles in ''Pike and Predator'' a few years ago, detailing his belief 's. That's if my memory is to be trusted.

Having said all of the above, pike fishing has some strange characters. One old friend of mine (I think you may know who), is given to outbursts of howling in broad daylight, the thought of him piking under a full moon, gives me the horrors. :D:D

madmatz

Reaction score
oh i know who you mean mate :eek:

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

it maybe a coincidence but on a water i have been trying the odd times i have caught there has been a full moon :confused::confused::confused:

madmatz

Reaction score
well theres one thing for sure i will be taking note of the next full moon and giving it a shot. i must say im suprised theres not many thoughts on the moon/phase

dannytaylor

Reaction score
I think the jurys out on this one. I like the idea that moon phases effect big fish. A friend of mine who is a carp fisher swears by it and he keeps detailed records of captures. The lakes biggest carp comes out consistently on the new moon. It is said that big commons have a habit of being caught on the full moon.

What ive read is that big fish seem to favour the periods around a new moon and full moon. But its not as simple as that. You have moon sett and moon rise to figure into the equation. I was reading an iteresting article by an american muskie angler whos theory is that its a combination of factors which contribute to optimum conditions for big fish. For instance he would look for changes in barometric pressure, lunar cycle (preferably new or full moons) fish at a key feeding time such as dawn or dusk if this coincides with a moon sett or rise time then bingo! often a trophy muskie would be caught.

I dont have the luxury of planning my fishing around moon phases but i still take notice of them more out of curiosity and most of my best fish this year have fell around the key moon phases. My big eel last month for example came on the night of a new moon. The moon has a massive influence on nature effecting tides. In times gone by farmers would only harvest crops on a certain moon phase. Many predatory animals become increasingly active during full moons. Who knows maybe a load of old *******s but very interesting nevertheless.

madmatz

Reaction score
its something to think about anyway i dont know if thats a good thing or bad with all the other things to consider :confused:

oh well back to work in the morning :w

madmatz

Reaction score
it seems whirpool piking can be very productive but just how do the pike find the bait be it live lure or dead? im just sat thinking about what must happen under all the white water how is it possible for the pike to find a meal in there what sense do you think they use in this situation?

terry m

Reaction score
Weirpools can indeed be very productive. Try hard against the weir shelf as pike tend to sit in ambush in the quieter water beneath the sill. Have had many pike take boilies or luncheon meat whilst fishing weirpools on the Hants Avon, unfortunately none over mid doubles, but good fun nonetheless.

madmatz

Reaction score
terry mate mid doubles are very good fish well at least i think there are :D im just waiting for my chance to get out and give it a go

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Matt a mid-double is a good pike to me too, but i think that the Hants Avon has a pedigree of producing big pike with specimens too upper 30s :eek:

madmatz

Reaction score
30s :eek::eek::eek: there fish to dream about mate mind you i dream about all pike my wife said the other day that i should marry a pike :eek::eek::eek: seriously though my mind aint anywhere near thinking about 30s or even 20s its all about catching at the moment

dannytaylor

Reaction score
It gets no better when you have had 20s and 30s you still want to catch more and more :D. I still appreciate every pike i get they are all special :w Some of my most memorable pike are not my biggest.

scrowell

Reaction score
The wier sill is a really good banker area for pike in my experience, and large catches can be made. I would add not to ignore the water between the wier sill and tail of the wier. As pike are not put off by the faster paced water, nor do they have any difficulty in finding food.

With deads it could be smell? With lures it must be sight / virbation.

madmatz

Reaction score
well i have plenty of time mate so hopefully a 30 might come my way. but if not then so be it. like i say i just want to catch as many pike as i can and be the best i can be. im torn in half at the moment though mate as most my pike have come by way of dead or live fish. i am trying lures at the moment as you might know and my success rate has gone way down hill but as they say all good things come to those who wait :w

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ah the magic of weirpools, and from a pike perspective they can be just that ''magic''.

Over the years I've fished many of them from the rivers of Yorkshire, to a few of the Southern regions rivers, and have rarely been disappointed. On occasions taking some large hauls of pike, including many hundreds of double figure fish, and a sprinkling of twenty lb plus fish.

And as has been said the weir sill's are often the most productive, from early Summer through to Christmas and beyond.

I tend to agree with Scrowell, insofar as I believe the pike must take the lures from a visual or audatory standpoint.

One tip I can offer you Matt, is to employ big gawdy Spinnerbaits, or big inline Bucktails. They have rarely let me down. I would recommend them to anyone fishing weirpools. It's great fun, PM me if you want a couple of locations.

scrowell

Reaction score
Matt,

The referance to bucktails reminds me of the first time i ever saw them used. Some years ago i was fishing with dec on a certain trent wierpool when he produced from his jacket pocket a lure i had never seen before, ''what do you think to this lad'' he asked, i replied it looks like a feather duster. those are my bird of paradice killers, i thaught it was a joke but it wasn't. 2 hours later with 11 fish under his belt and me just a spectator, i was convinced.

Yes he is truly a gifted piker :D:D:D:D

madmatz

Reaction score
thats why i asked for his help mate and i must say he is the most helpfull and welcoming piker i ever met :D cheers mate :w

madmatz

Reaction score
right all you experienced pikers its allmost time for my assult on a fairly unfished water i know theres pike there and some very big uns at that the problem is its a very large lake with deep and shallow bays lots of drop offs and islands dotted around the lake theres so many features i dont know where to start so its over to you guys :D all advice would be appreciated.