Which to join?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Fred. you said.

"And if I say so myself it's a bloody good members produced magazine, with no plugs for products or businesses"

Yet it has advertisments by potential suppliers hoping to sell their goods by plugging the benefits? (which is a good thing IMO to offset the members cost of production)

Communication Faliure I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Only in the way you choose to read it, it's not a plug it's an advert!.

What you call choose to call plug, is not the same as an honest member review.
Something entirely different I'm afraid, you ask the readers on here their definition of a plug.

Definition of to plug:

To publicise your own product favourably,by mentioning on a broadcast or in script:
product placement or authors who plug their latest book

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Having been/are a member of both the BS and ABF i'd go along with the approach of doing a little research into both and see what suits you on a personal level, and not listening to the publicist/anti rhetoric .
What suits one person doesn't necceseraly suit another.

Not getting into yet another arguement with you Fred BUT the statement regarding no plugs in the Barbel Fisher is not quite true is it ?
With committee members endorsement of reels/baits in adverts, plugs for committee members guiding businesses in articles and their own column, as well as other subtley placed endorsements from "members" it's hardly as you claim, squeaky clean and free from the like.

Before this degenerates back into an anti/pro BS arguement and spoils a decent thread, this is my only post on the subject (Eddy take note :) )

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Fred. You said.

"To publicise your own product favourably,by mentioning on a broadcast or in script"

Exactly.

The point being that anyone on FM who is involved with marketing / advertising would look at your overview and think.

No point approaching the BFisher magazine to put an Advertisment in then. Therefore membership contribution will be more than it should be without effective communication of the Magazines opportunities.

I realise you like the last word so carry on.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All I will say Graham is they do, so we are happy to have a little towards the running costs.
We don't want a magazine full of adverts or advertorials.
Nobody will get free advertising and won't be able to product place.

And Phil, as the Editor I'm very careful of not letting that happen.
I can't recall any endorsements of baits or products by committee members in Barbel Fisher since I've had a hand in the job.
I haven't looked at what happened before, or run a fine tooth comb over a member saying I use such & such a rod.
I would do if I knew they were signed up to that company though.
In fact I would say that you will find no blatant plugs even in regular columns.

This thread won't degenerate from my view point.
I'm aware of those that choose to find fault where none exists though, if it suits their purpose, especially if they've been found out and don't like it.

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Just two questions Phil, have you read any of the last 9 issues of Barbel Fisher?
You certainly haven't been a member in the 4 years I've been Editor!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Fred. I'm sorry to correct you but over the years there has been a significant number of product advertisments with regards to Committee members over the years.

From Sunglasses, to bait to leather books to Centrepins. Indeed the last copy I have (Editor a Mr Fred Boney) includes a half page colour advertisment of a Committee member holding a fish next to a product named after him.

I am not saying this is incorrect. Quite frankly I see no problem with it. BUT once again communicated incorrectly, and totally misleading in your "facts."

Please think before you post. Or you will have people wondering about anything said.

As I said, I am not criticising the Magazine of the BS just the misleading information communicated.

Carry on now.

Graham

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't have to think about anything I say Graham.
You have not been a paid up member for years, so you are just playing the same old game.(think how you reply to that)

I'm still there doing a job without complaints, your mis-information, nit picking and inuendo has failed.

So if anybody wants to join, people like Mr Eliot, the "political ones", are long gone and there are no longer members with petty axes to grind, the likes of which you have seen here and in the past.
They are no longer within the Barbel Society, and we are working very well without them.

Thankyou..

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Fred

You accuse me of mis-information - certainly gave me a chuckle after the previous posts.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If that's all you have to say,I'm happy

The only thing I failed to do was, point out and detail your mis-information/half truths, from your post number 86 and almost every post following.

I didn't want to get into the petty stuff which so enjoy, the, he said you said stuff!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
What is it with barbel that brings out the worst in people?
My wife ran a social club for five years or so , so I am well used to dealing with committees , people who don't want to be on committees , people who snipe at those who inhabit committees , people who selflessly devote themselves to a committee , those who live for the crushing of their enemies and the lamentation of their womenfolk.

All life is here in a microcosm of the primeval sources that have ever shaped the lives of men.

Just PMSL to be honest , especially as you guys have soooo much actual fishing knowledge.

---------- Post added at 00:27 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------

Congrats to Lord Paul

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have to say, bennygesserit, that I kept out of this thread because I knew what Lord Paul was up to.

But, when hidden personal attacks, and blatant lies are written about matters that occur on a private website, to which Eliot has official no access, then they need a response.

This is not Barbel Wars (Your Lordship) this is personal stuff!

It's just a game that flairs up at about this time very year,(I wonder why that is?) and is played out in public by two old antagonists.
One of whom was found out a few years back, outed, didn't like it, and started a regular campaign. Firstly on another site, and now he's come over here to do the same.
I have to say I have more faith in the moderators on this site than the other.

Some people just don't like being told the way it is.

To those of you who will say, do it in private, it doesn't work, the blokes a ****!!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have to say, bennygesserit, that I kept out of this thread because I knew what Lord Paul was up to.

But, when hidden personal attacks, and blatant lies are written about matters that occur on a private website, to which Eliot has official no access, then they need a response.

This is not Barbel Wars (Your Lordship) this is personal stuff!

It's just a game that flairs up at about this time very year,(I wonder why that is?) and is played out in public by two old antagonists.
One of whom was found out a few years back, outed, didn't like it, and started a regular campaign. Firstly on another site, and now he's come over here to do the same.
I have to say I have more faith in the moderators on this site than the other.

Some people just don't like being told the way it is.

To those of you who will say, do it in private, it doesn't work, the blokes a ****!!

Bloody hell Fred, Seems like I have unwittingly posted on a thread with an hidden agenda! If I had known that this thread was about a personal war between a couple of members I would never have put my two pen'th in.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hello Fred.

You indicated that I just came on here to be a nuisance to you. And that i'm a XXXX.

Nothing could be further than the truth. (at least the first part!) I came on here initially because numerous people had told me that you had amended an article on FM giving praise for a wonderful days barbel guiding with me when you caught your first ever double ( a day given free by me to the BS by the way for Charity)

The article was amended by you to make me out as some sort of cheat and pretty poor at guiding. Certainly libelous. Be aware I was not even an active Member of FM when this happened.

Subsquent to that the editorial team either deleted it or made sure changes were made.

Not very nice behaviour, two faced sneaky even.

These are facts that any of the Mods can confirm or deny if they feel.

I assumed you posted negatively about me because BFW had banned you...nothing to do with me. It was because of constant Spamming (thats a fact)

You followed this up with an article on FM about a day with Steve Pope that to all intents and purposes was mainly a continued slur on the day you had with me. It was amended after You know who intervened.

You had earlier on your own blog said that "I will do all I can to put Elliott out of business"

You followed this up by a make believe post on FM pretending you had fished with a pal and caught lots of barbel on the stretch of the Wye I fish and was guiding on. The phone number was given out by your pal time and time again, and deleted by the Mods multiple times as was totally against the owner of the fishings wishes, especially as they were experiencing a very serious illness. You were both banned from the stretch at the time of the falsely claimed fishing day.

So Fred, of course I am not happy with you. But to paint yourself as whiter than white is a bit laughable.

I am enjoying FM, had a great days fishing with a bunch of the Guys, many who said.......Even though you are "Outed" and run down in A certain individuals articles on FM, will make up our own mind. Can't be fairer than that.

So. As long as you don't start again with your vindictive games, its all over.

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Mark

As I said, if you fancy joining either the BS or ABF do a little homework, forget the Pro/Anti brigades and make your own mind up.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well Graham I wasn't going to do this but you opened the door, so here goes.

Hello Fred.
You indicated that I just came on here to be a nuisance to you. And that i'm a XXXX.
Nothing could be further than the truth. (at least the first part!) I came on here initially because numerous people had told me that you had amended an article on FM giving praise for a wonderful days barbel guiding with me when you caught your first ever double ( a day given free by me to the BS by the way for Charity)
It wasn't the BS it was a BFW competition I won. It didn’t take long for me to see the light, especially after your actions after the fish in I attended on the Wye where you were guiding.
The article was amended by you to make me out as some sort of cheat and pretty poor at guiding. Certainly libelous. Be aware I was not even an active Member of FM when this happened.
Libelous? But and you didn't take it further because you knew what I had on you, accusing me of taking favours being one, and your fake website. I merely altered an article because when I wrote it, I knew no better, or what to expect from a guided day. I soon found outSubsquent to that the editorial team either deleted it or made sure changes were made. It's still there somewhere
Not very nice behaviour, two faced sneaky even.
Just an update of an article, for FM members not for your edification, but all true because I had told you so before.
These are facts that any of the Mods can confirm or deny if they feel. They will certainly deny it because they did when you accused them last time.
I assumed you posted negatively about me because BFW had banned you...nothing to do with me. It was because of constant Spamming (thats a fact)
No, it was because of your actions on the Wye. Indeed the first thing you have right, is my “spamming”, but all I did was direct people asking questions to the appropriate answers because the moderation was allowing all the usual stuff spouted by Roca and his mates to be posted. So nothing to do with you, for once!
You followed this up with an article on FM about a day with Steve Pope that to all intents and purposes was mainly a continued slur on the day you had with me. It was amended after You know who intervened.
It’s not amended it’s still in it’s original form, whoever “You know who “ is , I don’t know because I have never been censored. http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/coarse_fishing/general_fishing/15450-barbel-fishing-a-guided-experience.html
You had earlier on your own blog said that "I will do all I can to put Elliott out of business"
That followed your false accusations and the fake Barbel Society website page you created to steer people looking for the BS to your guiding website. That really said it all about your sly doings
You followed this up by a make believe post on FM pretending you had fished with a pal and caught lots of barbel on the stretch of the Wye I fish and was guiding on.
Now you're making it up no such post exists from me and never did.
The phone number was given out by your pal time and time again, and deleted by the Mods multiple times as was totally against the owner of the fishings wishes, especially as they were experiencing a very serious illness. You were both banned from the stretch at the time of the falsely claimed fishing day.
Well nobody has told me I have been banned. I certainly had no involvement in telephone numbers. You just didn't like the idea of people booking direct and missing out on you getting guiding money, so don't come that old soldier. Truth bending again.
So Fred, of course I am not happy with you. But to paint yourself as whiter than white is a bit laughable.
I don't paint myself whiter than white, you get what you deserved for out and out lies and defamation of my character. I retaliated to your constant jibes, I don’t let anybody get away with that. You just didn’t like being outed for what you are.
I am enjoying FM, had a great days fishing with a bunch of the Guys, many who said.......Even though you are "Outed" and run down in A certain individuals articles on FM, will make up our own mind. Can't be fairer than that.
Certainly not, I was the same with you until I found out otherwise.
So. As long as you don't start again with your vindictive games, its all over.
You may recall I offered that to you the last time, not too long ago, you came on and you went quiet, so did I. But you started it up again on this thread, so it’s all down to you that I have highlighted only some of what you got up to.

Make of that what you will readers particularly you who know me, some people don't like being responded to, they think they can get awy with anything...well they can't with me.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

So you will see nothing to do with the Barbel Society, it's personal

This one! Last post

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/barbel-fishing/278785-barbel-bickering-15.html

Last edited:

strikerbw

Reaction score
Fred,

Not going to get involved as not in the know about a lot of what you say but.....

You say...... "You just didn't like the idea of people booking direct and missing out on you getting guiding money, so don't come that old soldier. Truth bending again."

I've met Graham several times and I had a great day with him and he had no problem with giving me the number for the owners.In fact I've returned to the stretch a few times and ring the owners direct, who are great people. I've seen Graham since my day with him down there and he's a top bloke and always has time to have a good chat with whoever he meets. So I think what you are accusing him of in your post is unfair.you accuse Graham of defamation of character, but surely that's what your post is.

Your last post doesn't reflect the BS very well if you as a committee member/editor/whatever are continually bickering with people on every fishing forum (the ones your not banned from). A better way to advertise the society is to concentrate on fishing! And I am a former member who left cause of all the bitching and politics.

Bw

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fred,
You were one of the first people to add me as a friend on here when you don't know me from Adam, and for that small thing I respect you and your comments.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Fred,
You were one of the first people to add me as a friend on here when you don't know me from Adam, and for that small thing I respect you and your comments.

Hi Mark
Would that be the comments in regard to the BS, in general, or aimed at Graham ?
Merely curious

Status
Not open for further replies.