Which to join?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg74

Reaction score
The latest barbel club is:

"The Coalition of barbel catchers Under Neutral Territory Society"

I'll leave it to you to come up with the short form.

Ron, I can only make the natural deducement; that you're going to be made the honorary president and founder member, a bit of notoriety for you....... At last eh?

I'd offer to join; alas I don't meet the membership criteria, well certainly not so adeptly as you.:p;):D

And one for luck.:w

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
I used to be on the Tunbridge Wells Angling Team, so I guess I qualify for this latest group Ron! :beer:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to be on the Tunbridge Wells Angling Team, so I guess I qualify for this latest group Ron! :beer:

IN my mind I think there is no benefit from joining a ''Barbel'' club or what ever as I find that some of the folk that are members of such clubs are elitist snobs and are only interested in trying to drive ''ordinary'' anglers off their hallowed waters or try to teach folk that their way is the only way! You are better doing your own thing and learning as you go.

Mark

richiekelly

Reaction score
IN my mind I think there is no benefit from joining a ''Barbel'' club or what ever as I find that some of the folk that are members of such clubs are elitist snobs and are only interested in trying to drive ''ordinary'' anglers off their hallowed waters or try to teach folk that their way is the only way! You are better doing your own thing and learning as you go.

Mark

Wrong very wrong, i have belonged to the barbel catchers and am now a member of the ABF ( as are a number of others on here ) i have not come across one angler that was/is as you describe them, the teach folk that their way is the only way comment should be used for all branches of the sport, you only have to look at some of the posts on here to see that. i know some very good anglers that happen to fish mostly for barbel who just go about their fishing in a quiet manner, they do not feel the need to be elitist at all, perhaps you should be looking at who makes the most noise in a different way, empty vessels and all that. what is an ordinary angler ?

Reaction score

Mark

Sorry Mark,

Couldn't disagree more! I'm in the Catchers and I've never met these 'elitist snobs' you describe.... just a diverse bunch from all over Britain who enjoy barbel fishing...

One of the conditions of membership of the Catchers is that you contribute an article every 14 months or so to the club magazine, and this is a valuable way of sharing info on techniques/ venues etc.

And of the Barbel Society members I've met... Fred Bonney and Steve Pope...

Nothing snobby or elitist going on there either; just good-natured regular blokes who enjoy catching whiskers...

Well actually being from the BS (or Judean Peoples Front as we call them), they don't actually catch many, but they really really enjoy trying! :) (sorry chaps couldn't resist! :p ;))

PS: Mark, the only barbel speci-group that owns the rights to any waters are the BS; and being as these waters are by definition for BS members, they have every right to drive 'ordinary' (eg. poaching) anglers off their banks... just like any other club!

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
PS: Mark, the only barbel speci-group that owns the rights to any waters are the BS; and being as these waters are by definition for BS members, they have every right to drive 'ordinary' (eg. poaching) anglers off their banks... just like any other club!

Sorry ****y but you are wrong as well.

The BS lease their waters, the same as do the ABF.

Reaction score
Sorry ****y but you are wrong as well.

The BS lease their waters, the same as do the ABF.

Fair play,

You knew what I meant tho Judas... they have the rights etc...

I was really making a point about the claim that these 'elitist' groups kick 'ordinary' anglers off stretches... which of course is nonsense...

Didn't realise the ABF had waters but then the Judaen Popular Peoples Front are fairly new on the barbel scene ;):)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wrong very wrong, i have belonged to the barbel catchers and am now a member of the ABF ( as are a number of others on here ) i have not come across one angler that was/is as you describe them, the teach folk that their way is the only way comment should be used for all branches of the sport, you only have to look at some of the posts on here to see that. i know some very good anglers that happen to fish mostly for barbel who just go about their fishing in a quiet manner, they do not feel the need to be elitist at all, perhaps you should be looking at who makes the most noise in a different way, empty vessels and all that. what is an ordinary angler ?

Sorry,
I am not having a go at everyone that is in a barbel society or whatever, its just the memory I have etched in my brain of a certain ''society'' of barbel anglers at an angling fair some years ago and how they ignored the ''ordinary'' anglers (including me!) Its not sour grapes if that's what you think!

Mark

richiekelly

Reaction score
Mark if you joined one of the barbel forums or groups you would find most are very willing to help with advice if needed, they really are just a bunch of ordinary blokes that fish for barbel and like ****y i have never met any snobs, a few that were a bit strange that never new what day it was perhaps but never snobs. :)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
No probs ****y

Makes me laugh as well that when "ordinary" anglers lose their right to fish a certain stretch because their club loses the fishing rights they blame everyone but themselves and their club and surmise that another club, group, society, whatever MUST have offered a Kings ransom.

In reality a lot of clubs etc lose rights by not treating the landlord correctly or abusing the privilage of being on someone else's property.

There are miles and miles of rivers out there not leased by anyone because of previous troubles with tenants, yet the same owners are willing to listen to individuals/groups who show a degree of responsibility. It's not about the money for most but their security and folks showing respect for their property.

As far as I am aware both the BS and ABF do not gazump other users.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry,
I am not having a go at everyone that is in a barbel society or whatever, its just the memory I have etched in my brain of a certain ''society'' of barbel anglers at an angling fair some years ago and how they ignored the ''ordinary'' anglers (including me!) Its not sour grapes if that's what you think!

Mark

Of all the angling fairs I’ve been to, the various angling society’s are usually there for one reason, and mainly that one reason is to persuade the “ordinary” anglers to sign up and become members of their society.

What puzzles is that one such apparent experience some years ago, should affect a persons reasoning for long afterwards.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
That's very true Neil and having been on stands, mostly for the Barbel Society, it can happen that some people may feel they haven't received a fair deal or been overlooked.
It's highly unlkely to be on purpose and from my own experience whenever someone has approached a person on the stand that person always acts in a courteous and polite manner.

If it was me on the stand at the time Mark then I apologise to you here unreservedly.

If you've been busy all day it may be that you're not as vibrant or up for it as you were at the start and thats why you always need a few helpers, these days not so easy to achieve!

Back to the original point.

Many years ago I joined the Association of Barbel Enthusiasts, it was there I came into contact with Fred Crouch, something that changed my fishing forever. It was never structured to be able to meet the increase in barbel popularity that was looming at the time.

I then joined the Barbel Catchers Club, had a great few years and once again it changed my outlook. This was still a time when a handful of doubles a year was the norm for most.

The BCC couldn't give me what I was looking for and so the Barbel Society came about and having devoted the best part of a third of my life to it I'm not looking to join anything else.

I have many good friends in the BCC and I've no doubt as ****y would confirm it is a great club still today.

For any young aspiring barbel fisher the place to be is the Barbel Society, there is ample opportunity to meet likeminded anglers, become involved in research and conservation, write articles in our full colour magazine, meet up for pub chats and have the opportunity to talk and discuss with anglers who have been barbel fishing for years.
Plus the BS has been around a long time, has respect and gravitas in all the right places, that is hard earned and has come about because of the loyal support of members since it started.
For anyone who wants to get more involved, the door is always open.
Then there is the Barbel Show that we put on.

And I would say all of that obviously but the plain fact is its true and most importantly the chance is there to make lifelong friendships, something many have done whether they are still a member or not.

So Paul, its a nobrainer!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have many good friends in the BCC and I've no doubt as ****y would confirm it is a great club still today.

For any young aspiring barbel fisher the place to be is the Barbel Society, there is ample opportunity to meet likeminded anglers, become involved in research and conservation, write articles in our full colour magazine, meet up for pub chats and have the opportunity to talk and discuss with anglers who have been barbel fishing for years.

Plus the BS has been around a long time, has respect and gravitas in all the right places, that is hard earned and has come about because of the loyal support of members since it started.
For anyone who wants to get more involved, the door is always open.
Then there is the Barbel Show that we put on.

And I would say all of that obviously but the plain fact is its true and most importantly the chance is there to make lifelong friendships, something many have done whether they are still a member or not.

So Paul, its a nobrainer!

:) So Steve,

A very thoughtful response mate...

But seriously...

No man can really be that composed, erudite and relaxed whilst discussing barbel in the close season.... without a secret tench water...?

Judaen Front, Judaen Peoples Front, Judaen Popular People's Front... It doesn't matter...

We all love catching them barbels....

So where is your secret tench water mate?

I won't tell; I'm going stir crazy and Gilly says I'm getting argumentative... Help!? ;)

Steve Pope

Reaction score
I'm still in the land of plenty ****y!

Not back for a while so the close season blues haven't really kicked in.

I'm on a massive learning curve over here, the fishing is fantastic with some wonderful species but it means hitting the road, mind you petrol is 'only' a pound a gallon.
Working on my boat license and then the local fishing really opens up.

So no secret tench water but a brilliant secret carp stretch that I should be able to get on now the floods have passed.

Please give my best to the BCC lads.

PS. How come you're still up, must be well past two in the morning! Its 11-30 am here and the sun is blazing not a cloud in the sky, the close season seems many miles away!

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I apologise to you all if I have ruffled a few feathers, I was not trying to wind anyone up.
It was some years ago that I had a rough deal with a guy who must have decided that I was not ''one of them'' and he really patronized and talked down to me when all I did was try and have a conversation with him! When I think about it he might not have even been anything to do with the guys on the stand, he was just there! Yes guys, I do take things to heart, but you lot have always been fine with me and so it was not a dig at you guy's especially Fred Bonny and Steve Pope whom I have a lot of respect for.
By the way, I have only ever had one ''run in'' on here and he seems to have vanished in to thin air! He answered my threads in a very arrogant and rood manner and I really did take that to heart...So if you are still out there watatoad take heed!!
Regards
Mark

PS: I am a nice guy really chaps!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No ruffled feathers Mark, I say it as I see it.
To dismiss all for one individual/reason, just doesn't ring right in my view, but I won't get personal about it.

Hey ,****y now you can see why my not so erudite,short responses and lack of posts are featuring, I know just the place but haven't been able to get out!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.