Which to join?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
What made you think that the ABF was elitest?

Not the Abut the Barbel Catchers has this
While there are no formal limits on membership numbers the club keeps at a manageable size normally between 60 and 70 members which ensures it doesn't grow too big and risk the foundation of friendships up and down the country. For this reason some regions may have a waiting list in place for new membership applications.
If you would like to be considered for membership get in touch via the Contact page and tell us a bit about your fishing and reasons for wishing to join the catchers.

just seems a bit snobbish

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

What made you think that the ABF was elitest?

not the ABF but the Barbel Catchers ahs this
While there are no formal limits on membership numbers the club keeps at a manageable size normally between 60 and 70 members which ensures it doesn't grow too big and risk the foundation of friendships up and down the country. For this reason some regions may have a waiting list in place for new membership applications.
If you would like to be considered for membership get in touch via the Contact page and tell us a bit about your fishing and reasons for wishing to join the catchers.

seems a bit snobbish

richiekelly

Reaction score
Not the Abut the Barbel Catchers has this

just seems a bit snobbish

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

not the ABF but the Barbel Catchers ahs this

seems a bit snobbish

I was a member of the barbel catchers some years ago, i didnt find them elitist but there were some strange people as members, members were required to put something back into the group by writing for Barbus but i dont see that as a bad thing. to have a waitinglist isnt a bad thing either as only those who really want to join and put something back will be bothered to wait.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Lord Paul

I can confirm Mr Woodhouse has the common touch.

I never turned my back on him whilst we were chub fishing the Thames.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
BCC elitist? NO, but it does expect members to contribute, as does the CSG.
Clubs/Groups such as these at not for everyone, but many of the mass membership organisations aren't either.

If you want only to pay the subs, sit back and take what is handed out, then join the ABF/BS. But if you want to get more and put something back, then apply for membership of the BCC. Simples

There does seem to be quite a lot of 'cross fertilisation' of members between the smaller groups, but by sharing information I was saved from a lot of hassle only last year.

And should anyone be interested the CSG is having a limited edition 40 year celebratory biscuit baked this year. A ginger custard cream, order form will be available as a download from our web site.

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
BCC elitist? NO, but it does expect members to contribute, as does the CSG.
Clubs/Groups such as these at not for everyone, but many of the mass membership organisations aren't either.

If you want only to pay the subs, sit back and take what is handed out, then join the ABF/BS. But if you want to get more and put something back, then apply for membership of the BCC. Simples

There does seem to be quite a lot of 'cross fertilisation' of members between the smaller groups, but by sharing information I was saved from a lot of hassle only last year.

And should anyone be interested the CSG is having a limited edition 40 year celebratory biscuit baked this year. A ginger custard cream, order form will be available as a download from our web site.

So the R&C,which is run by the BS,isn't driven by the membership John??
Not everyone has time to have to do something to keep their membership.....those that do are welcomed with open arms.
Your comment regarding cross pollination makes me laugh....... did you not turn down the invitation to come to the BS show? You must be a hybrid!! :)

Last edited:

bazr1

Reaction score
Last year I had to give up match fishing in tragic circumstances and a bad injury, I joined the bs Facebook page but not the bs itself. I found all members to be exceptionally helpful. So much so I joined after a relatively short time, now I'm fortunate to call those helpful people genuine mates. If you want to be surrounded by top lads who are like minded then to pittance the membership cost is well well worth it. There's a letter in this weeks at that explains more about it. Top top people!!!

dezza

Reaction score
The latest barbel club is:

"The Coalition of barbel catchers Under Neutral Territory Society"

I'll leave it to you to come up with the short form.

Status
Not open for further replies.